The right cartridge to shoot pigeons

Jamied123

So this topic has been done before,SO WHAT. The lad is obviously new to pigeon shooting and wanting some advice not have the **** took out

of him. If you don't like the posts don't comment. I think it's about time all the negative posts were removed by the mods if people require advise. So to all the sarckie phlebs keep your fingers on your man toy and don't reply.

Jamied123 you will come across this a lot on this site., HAPPY SHOOTING MATE

We use 32g No 6s

What is the right cartridge to shoot pigeons

The right cartridge is one that is capable of killing your target at the ranges you expect to be shooting them.

If you by your cartridges from a gun shop, 9 times out of 10, they will give you Pigeon cartridges. Typically, they come in 30g or 32g of number 6.

These are perfect for the job.

Edited by chrispti

The right cartridge is one that is capable of killing your target at the ranges you expect to be shooting them.

If you by your cartridges from a gun shop, 9 times out of 10, they will give you Pigeon cartridges. Typically, they come in 30g or 32g of number 6.

These are perfect for the job.

Now that is a proper answer to a question,well done that man!

So this topic has been done before,SO WHAT. The lad is obviously new to pigeon shooting and wanting some advice not have the **** took out

of him. If you don't like the posts don't comment. I think it's about time all the negative posts were removed by the mods if people require advise. So to all the sarckie phlebs keep your fingers on your man toy and don't reply.

Jamied123 you will come across this a lot on this site., HAPPY SHOOTING MATE

We use 32g No 6s

Relax it's called fun and banter a lot of people can give but not many can take ,I for one wish the lad ever happiness in his hour or hours of fun ,

Guest cookoff013

for me the classic 32g of #6 or #5 is tradition, with that is an un compromised load for most pigeon applications, thats flightline and decoys.

now some people here have good results with 28g 7.5s and i`m sure some have good results with 24g loads...

i believe that the difference in performance is not just down to the cartridge stats, its to do with cartridge quality.

comparing...

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/sovereignparcours.htm as an extreme clay shooting / pigeon load. i wouldnt think these were too much a disadvantage. especially in 6.5

then

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/intercomp.htm - not for pigeon shooting.

and as standard....

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/specpigeon.htm

although there is a 29 gram version ! exellent.

What cartridge to use for pigeons is almost the same as asking, "how long is a piece of string ? ".

It should be a cartridge that is capable of humanely despatching the bird at the ranges you shoot.

The "norm" is probably 30gms of No6 shot, others have their own "norms".

This is the best answer so far.

I use anything from 32gm 5/6, to 28gm 7 1/2 and sometimes 8's.There is no right or wrong here, as long as ranges are kept sensible. I can kill pigeons at good distance with most loads. What others choose is up to them.

Edited by motty