Game season started for me this weekend

lurcherboy

Saturday was spent at a award winning Partridge shoot in East Kent. They bagged 151 reds, a brace of greys, a handfull of ducks and few woodies.

Top shoot with friendly people, quality refreshments and a relaxed attitude. Dogs were allowed to work and Sweep didn't let me down until the 5th drive when he got stuck in and dissapeared for a while in a thick Hawthorn hedge :D

Today was my first day back with the ferreting team of over 60's that I was lucky enough to get in with last year. Obviously I was the oldest one there :D We had 22 scuts of which only two had mixy :D and we only lost two scuts. It was also the first time I have seen rats being bolted much to the Patterdales pleasure. The sun shone until 11:00 and we were gratefull when it became cloudy as we were sweating buckets.

4 more months of this which will go be in no time but will be enjoyed despite the weather or size of the bag.

Don't you just love the winter months :good:

LB

LB

be happier after a couple of frosts

knock the green stuff back a bit

alas season seems to get shorter and shorter!!

yes Winter is my favourite too until Spring arrives and the peas go in then Spring is my favourite time of year

then when Autumn arrives and those leaves start coming down.....................................

I too would like a few frosts Tosspot as the first two earths we looked at were well overgrown still and one of them had nettles of the size you find in spring :D The one we settled on was a copse in the middle of a field of stubble and it was all I could do to stop watching the woodies coming into the oaks for acorns.

BTW those acorns *!$)(&@# hurt when they land on your bonce :good:

Thanks Cranfield :D

Plinker, I got some advice from Mad Springer about the dog working and I was glad I did. Hope yours does well mate :D

LB

I had my first day out on Sat, walking part of the boundry of my shoot with a few of the syndicate, we managed 9 Pheasants, 3 Teal, 1 mallard 3 Pigeons and a Pegged rabbit. Nice day, my birds are ready to shoot put down 1st week of July this year, wandering!! but looking grand.

Saw a fox, need to get out with the lamp!!

First day in the drives next week, hope it's dry with a bit of wind.

Got a hold of another 350acres yesterday, nice ground, 7 smallish woods, a river and some good rashy ground, nice for a days rough shooting once a month. Oh and bordered by about 10,000acres of forestry which is full of Roe!

hammy

Hi,

Our ferreting will kick off in half term when Flash will come to Wiltshire for a days ferreting with his new jills and then I should hopefully be going over to Wooton Bassett to sort out some rabbits on youngshot's permission with the ferret's. ??? It has been really mild today and I don't expect any frosts here until late October to early November but have been out snipping back the brambles. ???

FM ???

Guest jonrms

I just cant get motivated lately.... I should really be out and abouts hunting.. but cant seem to get out of the house.... its a shame because I have nothing but free time.... and plently of land.

ahhhh. if the weather is nice tommorow... i might go.

fingers crossed.