Gun control

Paul223

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have FAC due to lack of land so may not be best placed to comment, but when I have seen these replica .22lr rifles made to look like military weapons it has always worried me - to me it is too much like "airsoft" type stuff and wannabe soldiers/rambo - whywould you want one to shoot bunnies when you can have a "normal" looking rifle? Only my opinion but I don't think being in a field at night with something that looks like an M16 etc portrays the best image of a responsible hunter.

I don't have FAC due to lack of land so may not be best placed to comment, but when I have seen these replica .22lr rifles made to look like military weapons it has always worried me - to me it is too much like "airsoft" type stuff and wannabe soldiers/rambo - whywould you want one to shoot bunnies when you can have a "normal" looking rifle? Only my opinion but I don't think being in a field at night with something that looks like an M16 etc portrays the best image of a responsible hunter.

Because they are "fun" on a shooting range or at targets, the appearance does not make an object more dangerous.

I fully understand the "fun" side as I make a bee-line to an indoor range or friends ranches everytime I am in the USA for the simple fact that I enjoy firing pistols/assault rifles at targets - why is this a problem?

I would agree the public image for some is ruined by military looking weapons but could it not be that they need to change their outlook as in reality they are the ones that are wrong by assuming all military rep weapons are carried by crazy murderers!

Regards,

Gixer

"With a rimfire .22 in my day I could shoot accurately a mile, which means a .22 can kill at a mile."

I wondered about that, myself.

I don't have any rifles - scary or otherwise - but I *was* under the impression that .22LR was only accurate upto a couple of hundred yards or so.

Perhaps they meant ".22WMR"? Or perhaps there's another (scarier) .22 RF round of which I'm not aware. (Perhaps they meant ".17HMR"...:))

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

Why would anyone be in a field shooting bunnies with one of there??? They are used for mini rifle target shooting.. A slightly different variation would be used for gallery rifle and, str the rails off and you have exactly the same gun to be used in the field! Stop being so blinkered... Just because a certain type of shooting does not appeal or make sense to YOU dous not make it an invalid or lesser sport

I wondered about that, myself.

I don't have any rifles - scary or otherwise - but I *was* under the impression that .22LR was only accurate upto a couple of hundred yards or so.

Perhaps they meant ".22WMR"? Or perhaps there's another (scarier) .22 RF round of which I'm not aware. (Perhaps they meant ".17HMR"...:))

Regards,

Mark.

A standard .22lr bullet would struggle to get a mile, even if launched at 45deg... Even if it could get that far it would be like getting hit by the pea from a pea shooter... Oh.. That's right.... They banned them too!

Edited by Vipa

Why would anyone be in a field shooting bunnies with one of there??? They are used for mini rifle target shooting.. A slightly different variation would be used for gallery rifle and, str the rails off and you have exactly the same gun to be used in the field! Stop being so blinkered... Just because a certain type of shooting does not appeal or make sense to YOU dous not make it an invalid or lesser sport

In all fairness I could buy a sig522 an use it for rabbits tomorrow - it's a choice! And you could argue a bull pup type short military action is a benefit when moving around in a vehicle.

Food for thought...

Regards,

Gixer

Opposition to "these" (Tactical/AR-15's/Whatever)style weapons WITHIN the shooting community is very dangerous IMO. In an already marginalised sport , losing members because you don't like the look of it and to satisfy some peoples fear based purely on ignorance will be the end of shooting in the UK. We already lost the pistol shooters, lost the semi auto centre fire, We lose the "tacitical" and then who supports you when they come for the rest?

Opposition to "these" (Tactical/AR-15's/Whatever)style weapons WITHIN the shooting community is very dangerous IMO. In an already marginalised sport , losing members because you don't like the look of it and to satisfy some peoples fear based purely on ignorance will be the end of shooting in the UK. We already lost the pistol shooters, lost the semi auto centre fire, We lose the "tacitical" and then who supports you when they come for the rest?

What he said!

Well said.....I have always maintained that by agreeing to the antis chipping away at the bits that dont bother us, we eventually make ourselves the target when there is only us left to go at.

on the other side by a minority wanting to use "tactical style" guns in the field the rest of us endure more bad press and restrictions. Lots have no function to field use much like the discussion on that hatstand the other day

True - but where does the member of public perception change on the type of firearm? I have friends who don't shoot at all and when they see my rifle with a blued action and synthetic stock (so all black) they nearly always say something along the lines of "that's very sas sniperish" so I wonder where the cut off point is?

Is it wood stocks that make a gun less tactical? Or a scope? Some people use the stock mounted round holders which in my opinion is one of the most tac(ky)tical things you can do - I can never remember being in the field and firing more than 3 shots from a CF in fast succession and after that I have pockets - and if at a range surely a round case is a better option?

But it's what you feel is right - and after all there is no legal restriction so why not live the way you want to I guess.

Edited by gixer1

Its the imitating an assault rifle that I think is the sticking point in the story. Obviously they are missing out the fact its for SAS wannabees and they would be most disappointed in the performance compared to the real thing but still it made a headline.

The 'public' will bleat and squeal but in the end they actually don't care one way or another. Most of the public think that pistols and semi-auto centre-fire rifles ate still legal. We get people very oftening asking whether they can come and shoot an L1A1 or a Glock, for instance.

These people and actually pay money for papers like the Sun so their opinions should hold sod all weoght with anyonem. To be honest, it's pretty scary that people who believe shuch rubbish are allowed vote!

J.

It's not the article thats dangerous it's the attitude of shooters........again. It's the old, I don't like it so nobody else should shoot it mentalitity.

I don't have a black rifle, but if I did, so what? does that automatically turn me into a waltastic Rambo wannabee or just somebody who likes to shoot guns that look like that.

Typical of The Sun to print inaccurate, sensationalist drivel.

Edited by Livefast123