good alround cartridge?

As the OP lists rabbit as well as pigeon, I'd use a No5. Any brand will do.

For mooching around in woods, not knowing what will pop up, I like Supreme Game 34g Fibre but they're not cheap and are a bit lively through a lightweight gun. They will do nicely for rabbits, pheasants, pigeons, squirrels, crows and even a close fox.

Ok a different sugestion

As each gun and choke setting is slightly different you will see a difference in the pattern regarding which cartridge you use and what choke

So buy about 5 or 6 different boxes of simular size and load

Shoot a pattern plate (even a number of A4 pages taped together) and see what produces the best pattern at the same range

By 1000 of the one that patterns best and forget all the rest

Now you can shoot without worrying if its you the choke or the cartrige, you dont even need to fluff around with different chokes (they make very little difference to most shooters hense they still sell fixed chokes)

After about 40 x slabs you will be confident enough to experiment and understand whats changing

Good luck

Edited by ChrisAsh

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying a few sorts of cartridges just of late. I really like the RC sipe but they make me teeth rattle. As i said above shot some victory starlights 32g 6 shot they seem pretty good. I had a couple of days pheasent shooting last week and a friend of mine gave me some Express supergame 32g 6 shot true 70mm case. I actully really liked them, quite refined on the shoulder and killed really well, even had a really high kock bird which was killed cleanly. i might try a thousand on my next cartrigde buying trip but looked em up about £236 per thou. My favorite of the lot is Eley VIP pdp wads 32g 5 or 6 shot but they are just to expensive to keep shooting pigeons with for me. But i usally keep 250 for high pheasent days. if i win the lotto I would stick with the VIP's.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started this topic i have took a lot in and bought cheap no frills kent 7.5s, if i dont get on with them i will try something different.

The shop sells end of run boxs £35 for clay loads and £40 for game loads.

fingers crossed im out this wkend after picking my gun up friday from wabbitbosher

Since I started this topic i have took a lot in and bought cheap no frills kent 7.5s, if i dont get on with them i will try something different.

The shop sells end of run boxs £35 for clay loads and £40 for game loads.

fingers crossed im out this wkend after picking my gun up friday from wabbitbosher

Kent are good cartridges

I use mainly the 6s but have used plenty of 7.5s..they do the job well at decent ranges if the gun is pointed in the right direction

• 3 weeks later...

bought some superfast in 6,s but havnt tried them yet.

for the amount of game i shoot i should buy better, may try some imperial game

Imperial Game are a brilliant cartridge. In 5 shot they are way better than the average shooter. Even 6s are good for rabbiting out to 40 yards. But I did find that they patterned badly in old guns meant for slower smaller loads.

Superfast fibre 29g 6s work well in my 1920s sxs on decoyed pigeon, but the chambers have been taken out to 2 3/4" and the forcing cones extended too.