Gun related accidents.

hedd-wyn

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 18 at the time, sat in a hide with my closed and loaded shotgun across my lap waiting (safety catch applied). Anyway I shifted position slightly and either my finger or maybe clothing entered the trigger guard and caught the trigger and the gun discharged! My hand was placed flat across the hand of the stock and the recoiling gun shot off my lap, the top lever caught the end of my thumb during this and split it down the nail also leaving a painful gash. Thank the Lord nobody else was at the wrong end! On subsequent inspection the safety was found to be faulty. Sure taught me to check the function of all guns regular and the misnomer of the whole words "safety catch". The gun was only very recently purchased from a gunsmith and when I told him the story he literally turned as white as a ghost. The next time some clown tells you "its okay the safety is on" think about that one guys. Never point the muzzles of a gun towards anything you do not wish to kill, if I had that day the thought is too scary to even consider. I do know very directly of two fatalities on ranges and one loss of an arm- However I know more anglers that have drowned, builders and engineers killed at work so consider lots of things are dangerous if done badly its our duty to do it right!

I had that. First rimfire. Sat waiting for rabbits. Flicked the safety off and it went off.

Back to shop and he replaced something.

Never use safety now. Not even sure were it is on my rifles.

Been aware of the muzzle is far more important.

ordnance, on 14 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

There are a lot of posts on here making a good argument for needing a FAC for air rifles.

Quote JonathanL Can't say I'd noticed any.

When I was around 12 I was out with my friend shooting in the garden with his old BSA Meteor, I cocked the gun with my hand around the muzzle...........when I closed the gun it went off narrowly missing my hand lol.

When I was about 12 some older kids used to hang around with airguns in the local waste ground, when I wasn't my mate held up a metal roses chocolate tin and was promptly shot through the thumb ... Looked very painful when I saw him the next day and it burrowed into the thumb nail
shot many times with air rifles as a kid.
was shot in the chest with a webley tempest .22 air pistol as a kid. it accidenctly discharged in someone,s hand at close range.

it knocked me to the ground but luckily my thick body warmer stopped the pellet

Ricoched .22 airgun pellet in the white of my left eye when I was about 12-13 it was removed and my eye recovered fully. Since then been so careful and wouldent wish that on my worst enemy
My brother was shot in the eye by his friends older brother with an air pistol when he was 8 (12 years ago). Obviously he's now blind in that eye.

It must have being my imagination. :rolleyes:

Ordnance,

All those you quote above were carried out by children, most of them at 12 years of age.

Surely this is not showing that all people who want an air-gun should be licensed and restricted (ultimately having a very negative impact on shooting) but that keeping air-guns away from children would prevent every accident you have posted.

Ordnance,

All those you quote above were carried out by children, most of them at 12 years of age.

Surely this is not showing that all people who want an air-gun should be licensed and restricted (ultimately having a very negative impact on shooting) but that keeping air-guns away from children would prevent every accident you have posted.

True but you need a FAC for a air rifle here and you don't see children with air rifles. I am not saying they should be licenced or not just a observation.

Ordenance you have me in your quotes. I have been a safe an responsible shooter from day one, even as a child. I dont think an fac certificate would have stopped that pellet from hitting my eye would it?!

Where did the pellet come from. ?
The barrel of my airgun

If you needed a FAC you woldent legally have being shooting a air rifle. So yes it would have stoped the pellet hitting you.

My cousin shot a golf ball at 30-40 yards with his air rifle.

The pellet bounced straight back and hit him in the eye, putting him in hospital for a few days.

Couldn't help thinking it must have been a perfect shot. :D

Another one for "don't shoot golf balls!"

not really shooting accident but has a small but powerful firing cart / cap, many years ago as an apprentice working on a building site using Hilti nail gun ( the type that you strike with hammer, don't think they are used now).

its was the type where you had different colour carts for the type of of wall you are fixing too.

mate fired one of these things on would you believe a breeze block wall, so you can imagine what happened ... straight through it... lucky no one on other side

About 18 at the time, sat in a hide with my closed and loaded shotgun across my lap waiting (safety catch applied). Anyway I shifted position slightly and either my finger or maybe clothing entered the trigger guard and caught the trigger and the gun discharged! My hand was placed flat across the hand of the stock and the recoiling gun shot off my lap, the top lever caught the end of my thumb during this and split it down the nail also leaving a painful gash. Thank the Lord nobody else was at the wrong end! On subsequent inspection the safety was found to be faulty. Sure taught me to check the function of all guns regular and the misnomer of the whole words "safety catch". The gun was only very recently purchased from a gunsmith and when I told him the story he literally turned as white as a ghost. The next time some clown tells you "its okay the safety is on" think about that one guys. Never point the muzzles of a gun towards anything you do not wish to kill, if I had that day the thought is too scary to even consider. I do know very directly of two fatalities on ranges and one loss of an arm- However I know more anglers that have drowned, builders and engineers killed at work so consider lots of things are dangerous if done badly its our duty to do it right!

When I was 17 I was on a fox shoot,the dogs were yapping towards me so I had my Lanber O/U ready to fire,the fox turned just before breaking the wood,I then ran and quickly climed a fence to apprehend the critter putting the butt of the gun into the ground to help lever me over the fence when a branch caught the trigger and discharged the load literally an inch from my right ear,from that day to this I always test fire every rifle e,g when loaded i pull the trigger with the safety on and pointed at a suitable location/object thus not to arm anyone or anything,just to make sure the safety is working.!

ATB

My cousin shot a golf ball at 30-40 yards with his air rifle.

The pellet bounced straight back and hit him in the eye, putting him in hospital for a few days.

Couldn't help thinking it must have been a perfect shot. :D

Another one for "don't shoot golf balls!"

Reminds me of this clip :whistling:

In reply to ordenance:

With all respect to your opinion I really dont see your point at all. It was with a sub 12 ftlb airgun shooting a spinning target and I expect the pellet must have hit a pebble. I was under close supervision at the time. Age and an fac certificate has abserlutely nothing to do with it. It doesnt matter if i was a 13 or 30 years old or if I had an fac certificate at the time or not when I was holding the gun it was an unfortunate accident thats all. I thaught sharing it would make people more aware of the dangers as I am all these years later.

Edited by archiebald

Why on earth would you shoot at kids for pinching cookers?

Our farmer used to shoot rice at us when we were playing football in his field,it never realy penetrated any of us but the bang and the spraying of the rice around us was enough to scare us off,this is how it was in the good old days.!

ATB

Many years ago now a 17 year old lad who worked for my farther decided to go poaching with another lad & his mate accidentally discharged both barrels into the back of his leg , lower leg ! .

The result was it blew a load of flesh from his calf & the only thing that connected one half of his leg to the other was the two bones ! needless to say he lost it ! .

Not nice !

Edited by Pole Star

I had a number 6 shot come back off a branch whilst roost shooting years back and hit me in the eye. Luckily no harm done.

Also, whilst patterning a muzzle loader using a low powder charge and a hard target board (marine ply), I managed to ricochet the whole shot charge straight back, causing me, Wabbitbosher and his son in law to do a little dance :crazy:

Many years ago now a 17 year old lad who worked for my farther decided to go poaching with another lad & his mate accidentally discharged both barrels into the back of his leg , lower leg ! .

The result was it blew a load of flesh from his calf & the only thing that connected one half of his leg to the other was the two bones ! needless to say he lost it ! .

Not nice !

Back in the 1940,s my father(God rest his soul)who was from a large family which relied on the regular rabbit shot for the table was out with his mates on a rabbit shoot which they did so several times every week however,they were walking through the woods in a small group discussing (as you do)how they were going to space out around the area to be worked,as they were about to disperse my father locked the shotgun closed but it discharged and hit his mate through the shoulder causing him serious damage,my father like I said was from a poor and large family and had the gun passed down to him from his grandfather,the gun was obviously poorly maintained,there were hardly any Gunsmiths around in those days so everyone done their own repairs however,my father was not made aware that there were 2 nails replacing the firing pins!so when the barrels was broken or uncocked the firing pins(nails)were always protruding,so when he pulled the gun closed the nails were going to detonate the carts someday Anyway,My fathers mates family tried to get my father done for attempted murder but it was not to be,it was truly awful but he and his mate(who recovered and lived til he was 86yrs young)remained best friends and continued for many years shooting and hunting together,just so glad that it ended in a positive way.

My Father still had his SG Licence until he passed,the police in those days must have realised that it was a genuine error and allowed Dad to keep his Licence.

ATB

I can clearly remember even though it was 40 years ago being round my grandparents house when my grandfather came home from a pheasant shooting trip absolutely distraught , he had shot a hen pheasant and it was a runner , his black lab made the retrieve and when she presented the bird to him he leaned forward to collect it , the bird flapped about as he took it from her mouth and somehow got a leg tangled in the trigger , my grandfather had failed to put the safety catch back on , the gun discharged and killed the lab instantly.

He loved his dogs and it was months before he could bring himself to shoot again .

Christ I do that ( with safety catch on and gun up in the air). No more, from now on the dog drops it on the floor ! Thanks for posting

A friend of a friend once placed his shotgun on the floor in some long grass to answer his phone, after finishing on the phone he picked up his shotgun barrels first not knowing the long grass had tangled around the trigger BOOOOOOOM he blew most of the left side of his face and ear off, spent 6 months in hospital and had 3 facial re construction surgeries, but made a full recover, ALWAYS USE YOUR SAFETY

A friend of a friend once placed his shotgun on the floor in some long grass to answer his phone, after finishing on the phone he picked up his shotgun barrels first not knowing the long grass had tangled around the trigger BOOOOOOOM he blew most of the left side of his face and ear off, spent 6 months in hospital and had 3 facial re construction surgeries, but made a full recover, ALWAYS USE YOUR SAFETY

I think the key is to never rely on the safety, never put a gun down unbroken or pick it up by the barrels. Problem is that for every 1,000 times we do it right it's the once that you don't that gets you ! Distraction must be a key cause ( Dogs, phone,camera etc),