Gun related accidents.

hedd-wyn

It was when I was in the Army at the firng range 1990....Daft Sergeant showing off in front of me with a AR70 Beretta.....usual I'm a bigger man starting story...waving the assault rifle....then pointed it down and on his foot to hold his Perfect showing off big MAN pose......I just heard a crack/bang....looked into the Sergeant eyes...with a big grin on my face...and said....Sir...did you just shoot yourself in the foot Sir....with tears running down my face,Sir was the assault rifle loaded Sir.....answer was.....Yes Corporal....I just did and it was, I just showed how accidents happen and limped off with a 5.62 nato round hole in his boot, never seen anyone containg the pain so much.

If I'd have called any of our sergeants Sir they'd probably have shot ME in the foot................

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to the shooter? Please tell me he got stopped from shooting after that?

As far as I can remember he was about 70 yrs old, he was arrested and charged with either negligence, or wreckless behaviour. He surrendered his licence, I beleive he was very distraught and unconsolable over it. The young girl was, as you can imagine, in a state of total shock and distress for weeks and I believe suffered nightmares and flashbacks, ended up having councelling.

As with many others here I do not rely on a safety, although with my pump .410 I often chamber a cartridge and then keep the gun in a safe position pointing skywards as I approach to take the shot. When game shooting we all either have guns broken with safety also on or if closed then again held with the barrels in a safe direction.

The only accidents I have personally had were shooting at a tree with a .22 air rifle when a pellet bounced straight back and hit me in the front tooth, and shooting a home made spear gun out of water in New Zealand at plastic animals in front of the house wall. The blunt spear bounced back and hit my little brother butt first right between the eyes. We were only 6 and 8 years old at the time.

Golden rule when teaching anyone to shoot,, FIRST BASICS,, STOCK Up NOT Barrels up:

it is easier to close a shogun, pulling the stock (Butt) up than trying to close it with the barrels, if you don`t do it this way, try it next time out..

And A helluva lot safer , if it double discharges, it happened to me once, fired into the ground in front of me, Had to leave the pheasant shoot early. or shoot with one barrel not an option I`m afraid:

I was shooting the stubbles with a friend when we heard a shot in the same field so I got up to look and felt the biggest boom of air/shot hit the hide/ my back , luckily he was only 70 yrds away and using 6's but it still hurt and scared the hell out of me .

The **** hadn't rang the farmer like I had and was shooting rabbits out his car .

A guy at the field Target club shot through his thumb holding a combro chrono on his barrel :)

My friend asked me for some big shot for foxes on his farm so I bought him some 36g 0's thinking nothing of it .

I had a phone call a few weeks later that he'd took his life .:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( messed my head up for years . I still shoot the same farm and he's son is a very good friend but never the same .

Remember guys suicide messes up everyone's life

My friend asked me for some big shot for foxes on his farm so I bought him some 36g 0's thinking nothing of it .

I had a phone call a few weeks later that he'd took his life . :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( messed my head up for years . I still shoot the same farm and he's son is a very good friend but never the same .

Remember guys suicide messes up everyone's life

Unfortunately something similar happened to a mate of my dads years ago. I won't go into details but lets just say the farmer that borrowed him the shotgun felt pretty bad afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Knocking conkers out of a tree when knee high to a grasshopper, women turned us in to the farmer, came with a loaded 12 bore, let fly at us 2 pellets in my heel when I got home,,, that was close.... lol.

Bet he wouldn`t try it today.lol.

Did pull the stock UP as I always do, gun misfired into the ground, could only load one barrel after that, it was coming out the bites, fixed when I got it apart at home, BUT:: ALWAYS PULL YOUR STOCK UP,... Not Barrels, it would be fatal if someone was in front::

Did know of a bloke who shot himself in the arm, fell out of his fingers, hit the butt on the ground, blew half his arm away:

Could not use a gun again:

Never walk on ice with a loaded gun, I slipped once and looking down the barrel at the end of said Dance is Not funny::

Never Again:

A very good point about raising stock to breach and not breach to stock.

I the early 90's I was in my early 20's and was up in Scotland with a well known goose gudie. A landlord of his had a day's driven shooting for her clients (Race horse trainer) and we offered to beat for the day to fill in the time between the geese and the ducks. We were driving a field of roots to the guns when a hen bird got up and quartered away low to the left, unbeknown to me, one of the guns offered up his gun and fired and a single pellet hit me just beneath the left eye, fortunately the distance was far enough for the pellet to lose penatrative power, but enough of a shock to put me on the ground.

A young lad (14-15) in our party who was bringing up the hedge on the other side saw the gun go to shoot and turnedh is back in time, taking a rake of shot up his back, again, none penatrated his waxproof. Very concerning for all present, and I'm not sure how I kept my cool when the gun approached at the end of the drive. I think it was the fact that I was friends with the guide and it was his landlord's day that kept me from doing more than telling the gun to firmly 'Go away' when he tried to offer all sorts of excuses.

Edited by Penelope

If a sportsman true you'd be

Listen carefully to me......

Never, never let your gun

Pointed be at anyone.

That it may unloaded be

Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross

Though of time it cause a loss

From your gun the cartridges take

For the greater safey's sake.

If twixt you and neighbouring gun

Bird shall fly or beast may run

Let this maxim ere be thine

"Follow not across the line".

Stops and beaters oft unseen

Lurk behind some leafy screen.

Calm and steady always be

"Never shoot where you can't see".

You may kill or you may miss

But at all times remember this:

"All the pheasants ever bred

Won't repay for one man dead".

Keep your place and silent be;

Game can hear, and game can see;

Don't be greedy, better spared

Is a pheasant, than one shared.

Edited by Penelope

Nice poem,

ok had the relevant stupidity as a kid, ( shot by my brother with my air rifle) richo off the yard and embedd in my ***,

had the super posh first time gun at driven phesant pull his gun all the way through the beters line and pull both barrels (at me) i was peppered lucky i was far enough away that my wax jacket stopped the shot, my dad (keeper at the time) strode down to the gun, took it off him emptied the chambered rounds then took the barrels back to the beaters line, (not a word said) leaving the Posh shooter with the forstock and butt. barrels were returned at the end of the day, but gun was told that he was an unsafe shot and that all guns had been briefed before the shoot began.

and lastly, my dad used to load for some very exclusive people, one day one of the guns had bought a 12 and a 20, mixed his carts in the bag, loaded the 12 with 2 x 20gage shells, click click. opens the gun, puts in to 12's next bird and BOOM, no more left hand,

Glenn.

I remember in my twentys my ex brother in law had a break barrel bb gun,he put a beer bottle on the wall,took aim,hit the bottle and the ball bounced back and hit him right between the eyes,it left a lump the size of a golf ball,the funny thing is a picked the bottle up off the wall and it fell to pieces in my hand,needless to say a lesson learned :innocent:

No injury resulted from this - fortunately. When marking at bisley on the short siberia about twenty years ago I saw a marker on another firing point climb up onto the handrail in front of the target frames so he could look back over the parapit to see if the shooters on his firing point had packed up. Did I report it? you bet I did!

Great thread for a beginner to read on safety... oh and when i was younger, maybe 13 ish i was playing in a field with a gat gun, one of those ones that you push the end down on. My mates mum pulled up in her car to come and collect us, i was a bit worried about getting told off so i put it down the back of my trowsers, sitting in the car it went off, the pellet didnt do anything but a long fast protruding object down the back of my trowsers made me wince a bit... to this day i havent been able to tell the wife incase she judges me..

My early accident was when about 10, had a wooden toy crossbow with suckers on the ends of the bolts. I was at my mates house and we were shooting a target at the bottom of his garden. I decided to take the sucker end off and sharpen it and fired straight through the confiers into the garden behind and hit a girl at a bbq just below the eye. Got banned from my mates house for ages after that. early lesson learned I guess. Felt awful for a while and got a roasting all round.