faulty cartridges

rb5037

Just sorting my shooting bits for Wednesday and a bag containing 50 odd cartridges have got wet. (flooded garage)

To save "firing blanks" I'm going to dispose of them (i did produce a baby not long ago so don't start, i can prove it if you want with pictures :):lol::) )

Where should i dispose them??

Back in 30 mins for find the answer :lol:

Thanks

WOW! ! !

That was moved quick :lol:

This is a better home for the question i suppose :)

Keep them for fireworks night and then sneak them / throw them onto the bonfire of someone you don't like.

LOL!

Was thinking of putting them in the in laws gas fire, just to liven up the evening one night :lol:

(That above was a joke, and i would never even think of doing it............ hang on i did..... :) )

..........................................................STOP THE PRESS...............................................................

I've just found another 100 and there's no way I'm cutting 150+ and then putting them through the two barrels.

Anyone want some for clay shooting?

If it don't go bang shout "PULL" again :good:

why is it ilegal to unload cartridges back home??? i cant see the problem if done safely, how do reloaders deal with duff carts and or shells :D.

id like to know if anyone can tell me, and no im not being facetious in genuinely interested

Martin

Reloaders have explosives licences which i believe are free, this also enables them to unload cartridges. :good:

The reason behind this is that unloading shotgun carts and using the powder in bombs is a risk since the shotgun cartridges themselves can be owned without a licence. Its a law to prevent, or atleast allow the law to prosecute possible bomb makers before something bad does happen.

I will add to my above message, that digging a deep hole in a damp soil area (where no digging work will take place shortly after) and placing the shells into the hole will quickly destroy them. Moister will seep into the powder, primer, oxidise the lead (turn it into powder) and rust away the metal casing all in quick order, rendering them into nothing but soily plastic cases as found in the woods after previous hunters (who leave their empties behind :good: )

However police/RFD disposal of carts is always the best.

If you end up sticking them through a gun, make damn sure the wadding clear the barrel before you stick another one in behind it, the results of not doing so can be very serious.

I have put a few cut up cartridges on fires, oudoors and indoors I am :good: to admit and they do go off with a hell of a bang, so if you go down that route, be careful.

Reloaders have explosives licences which i believe are free, this also enables them to unload cartridges

They were until earlier this year - I have just renewed for three years at a cost of £105 but have just been informed they have gone up again to over £40 pa.

Shooting is getting expensive ! :good:

Re your question:-

Try placing them in an open top box on a thick layer of cotton wool. Carry them gingerly into the Police Station and explain to the desk Sergeant that they are live rounds liable to explode at any time............................

The reason behind this is that unloading shotgun carts and using the powder in bombs is a risk since the shotgun cartridges themselves can be owned without a licence. Its a law to prevent, or atleast allow the law to prosecute possible bomb makers before something bad does happen.

I will add to my above message, that digging a deep hole in a damp soil area (where no digging work will take place shortly after) and placing the shells into the hole will quickly destroy them. Moister will seep into the powder, primer, oxidise the lead (turn it into powder) and rust away the metal casing all in quick order, rendering them into nothing but soily plastic cases as found in the woods after previous hunters (who leave their empties behind :good: )

However police/RFD disposal of carts is always the best.

thanks Hunter, i recall the regs now, and i beleive i have also added before that when i deactivate rounds for my own collection i put them in a pail/bucket/tin full of WD40 it takes a few days to soak in but will render the powder and primer useless, you can hit it with a tank if you wish, just another way, i guess being paper carts they will fall apart quite quickly anyway.

Martin

But modern nitro powder is not an explosive, it is only black powder that you need a licence for. It is not illegal to own shotgun cartridges without a licence, it is only illegal to buy them.

I have cut up a lot of cartridges which have got wet or gone rusty and tipped the shot in the bin and fired the primer in a gun. Normally used for dog training.

How wet did these cartridges get. Because unless they were submerged for a long period I wouldn't worry about it and just use them.

Stuart's comment about the wad is a very valid point, I had a wad stuck in a barrel by a cartridge that didn't have a full charge of powder in it. The shot that I put in behind it cleared it for me but it left a nice bulge in my bottom barrel.

It took about 6 months of arguing and a proof house report but Rottweil finally paid for a new barrel.

Fister,

You don't need a licence to reload but if like me you reload and have a selection of Nitro powders that exceed 5Kg/10lbs then you need an explosives licence. Also remember this limit of 10lbs is per house not per person. So someone whose father also reloads but different Cals is almost certainly going to require a licence.

Whatever, the new legislation has altered quite a few aspects of reloading and you need to be completely 'au fait' with the detail to ensure you are on the right side of the law.

Reloading for others is one area which is ill defined and presently to all intents and purposes makes illegal. I am in consultation with the Home Office on this point but whatever you do never reload for others without at least £5million Personal Liability and Product Liability Insurance.