Zeroing question

After cleaning oil the barrel inside and put it away. Dont forget to remove the oil with a jag before reuse.

One fouling cartridge is enough with a centerfire providing the barrel is in reasonable nick internally, personally I just use it with my chosen round, usually that first round is close enough.

A

After cleaning oil the barrel inside and put it away. Dont forget to remove the oil with a jag before reuse.

One fouling cartridge is enough with a centerfire providing the barrel is in reasonable nick internally, personally I just use it with my chosen round, usually that first round is close enough.

A

I have to agree with this post as it is what I do. Mind you I am very fortunate in the fact that my .243 prefers Partizan ammunition above most others so it is not an expensive thing for me! I would say stick to using just to the ammo that suits your rifle!

Edited by Frenchieboy

A very difficult thing to get your head round but I have definitely noticed that both air gun pellets and rimfire rounds seem to prefer their own fouling, would love to read a plausible explanation for it !

They are lead - which in itself is a lubricant?

Centrefire rounds are copper - which isn't?

What I meant is that accuracy tends to improve after a few shots using the same type of pellet, i.e if you use say Superdomes and then swap over to H&N, it takes a few shots for the H&N to come on to full accuracy !

What I meant is that accuracy tends to improve after a few shots using the same type of pellet, i.e if you use say Superdomes and then swap over to H&N, it takes a few shots for the H&N to come on to full accuracy !

I'm not sure if differant manufacturers use differant types of compounds in the lead/copper but bullets of all types vary fractionally in there construction dia. With centrefire the type of powder will affect the amount of fouling in the bore, all in all its just best to use what you will hunt with. With my centrefires I always have a few rnds that are half a grain less than my most accurate load so same powder and bullet, ideal for a fouling shot if required.

What i meant was (talking .22 and .17 rimfires), i use ELEY in lr and REMMINGTON in hmr after trying various brands. I have left over odds and **** of the ammo i tried before deciding on these and was going to use these leftovers to "foul up" the barrel after my first ever cleaning ( i know about everybodys views on cleaning rimfires), rather than have them just stuck in the cupboard.

your first mistake was cleaning a .22lr!

just shoot it, unless there is a problem it requires a quick pull though to wipe away powder residue.

common issue with .22lr that have been recently cleaned needing significant round count to build up accuracy again

even centre fires I don't clean until they have had some round count (20-40) through them, certainly not every time they get used.

if stalking use only that could be a lot of trips, quick push through of oily patch to take any residue or moisture out

your first mistake was cleaning a .22lr!

just shoot it, unless there is a problem it requires a quick pull though to wipe away powder residue.

common issue with .22lr that have been recently cleaned needing significant round count to build up accuracy again

even centre fires I don't clean until they have had some round count (20-40) through them, certainly not every time they get used.

if stalking use only that could be a lot of trips, quick push through of oily patch to take any residue or moisture out

Oil over a dirty bore? you are highly unlikely to get your first shot on target with any trace of oil left in a bore AND its a dangerous practice regarding pressure. If you have fired nothing dry patch after coming and allowing the steel to get to room temperature to remove condensation then a lightly oiled one through to prevent corrosion in storage. When taking out of safe patch oil out with meths and dry patching. The whole fouling round thing is BS to my mind and experience zeroed on a clean barrel and returned to a clean barrel is the way forwards and its stops pitted bores occurring in the safe.

By the question mark do you doubt your statement?

If so you are correct too. Lead and copper are not reguarded to have lubricating properties. There would be no need for bullet lube for lead bullets. Various jacket materials are used to overcome heat and pressure associated with velocity rise.

Any lubricating factors for lead and copper have no application to firearms.

U.

. When taking out of safe patch oil out with meths and dry patching. .

After cleaning i use this method, a couple of patches with meths/acetone it removes all trace of chemicals and quickly evaporates. I have found that after this method its bang on centre as before the cleaning.