New knife required

jef

ECDF127B-E240-47BB-8A0D-2F1263AED29D-5657-000007A13130B50B.jpg

The inevitable happened this morning. Bought in Oz in 2005 and been in my pocket everyday since.

Looking for similar knife but different brand maybe. WHY?

Needs to be strong, used as a lever/ screwdriver etc.

High carbon steel wont do this using a knife as a lever with that sort of effort sounds dicey

JF.

Treat yourself to a mini titanium pry bar for levering and other stuff, i bought my father a nice knife that he wrecked by prying with it so this year i got him a pry bar and he loves it. For cutting i got Spyderco UKpen from heinnie, UK legal carry so you dont have to worry about dropping it in your jeans and forgetting about it, sharp enough out of the box to shave with, fansactic quality, really light weight No blade movement, excellent jimping, one hand opening, honestly havent looked back, £40quid.

I was really disappointed with its small size as i expected it to be bigger, although in all honesty you only really need an inch long knife if its all good quality and razor sharp. And after that initial dissapointment i havent regretted anything.

http://www.heinnie.com/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/Spyderco-UK-Legal-Knives/UK-Penknife-FRN-Drop-Point/p-641-658-6083/

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/product/sd_mini_titanium_pry_bar

Edited by demonwolf444

now I'm looking at ceramic, maybe not as tough for the levering but I;m interested all the same

Any recommendations??

JF

I was warned off ceramic by a German chap manning the Moonraker Knives stall at the Midland GF. They take an edge fantastically and hold it equally well, but they are brittle. Definately not a pry bar. He described a ceramic blade as 'gentlemans' pocket knife.

I'm also very taken with all things Boker. Even the budget models are good for the money. The top range stuff is superb. Their ceramic blades are top notch if you think you can live with one.

ECDF127B-E240-47BB-8A0D-2F1263AED29D-5657-000007A13130B50B.jpg

The inevitable happened this morning. Bought in Oz in 2005 and been in my pocket everyday since.

Looking for similar knife but different brand maybe. WHY?

Needs to be strong, used as a lever/ screwdriver etc.

Check with Kershaw bud, i think they have a lifetime warenty.

JF.

gone for the bone version just for a little change if your happy ?

http://www.heinnie.com/Kershaw-Knives/Folding-Knives/Black-Gulch-Jigged-Bone/p-158-1003-6195/

seen them on ebay from time to time for £20-£25

Knifes can't be sold on eBay for some time now. To be the kill joy. If you are carrying your knife everyday it should be UK legal carry, this means a blade 3" or less and non locking.

If you have a look at the Heinne website they have a section on UK carry knifes. I have a Syderco squeak and it is a great little knife.

Knifes can't be sold on eBay for some time now. To be the kill joy. If you are carrying your knife everyday it should be UK legal carry, this means a blade 3" or less and non locking.

If you have a look at the Heinne website they have a section on UK carry knifes. I have a Syderco squeak and it is a great little knife.

yes your right these days about being uk legal if carrying all time

i had seen them on ebay.com wont it pass through customs anyway though if marked as return or spares?

http://www.ebay.co.u...haw Black Gulch

(not the bone version i had seen)

Edited by maxus77

yes your right these days about being uk legal if carrying all time

i had seen them on ebay.com wont it pass through customs anyway though if marked as return or spares?

http://www.ebay.co.u...haw Black Gulch

(not the bone version i had seen)

You won't me able to buy knives from eBay.com mate, when you go to checkout it comes up with a message saying you are from the UK and cannot purchase,I think it was down to a news report saying kids could buy knives easily from eBay so they banned knives altogether on eBay for us Brits.

I suppose the only way would be to contact the eBay.com seller and ask if they would deal out of eBay with you but i don't know if they would.

Edited by smokinggun

'Good reason' is the key.

I thought a lock was allowable for every day carry- if you had good reason. Like stopping the blade closing on your fingers in use?

'Good reason' is the key. 'Legal carry' means it may be carried on the person at any time anywhere (with the exception of airport scanners) for no particular reason and with no particular use in mind. Such knives must have folding, non-locking blades of less than 3 inches. Traditional pocket knives, in other words, including such things as nailclippers with paring blades and pipe smokers knives.

You may possess any other knife in a public only with 'good reason': that is being unavoidably and temporarily in a public place in pursuence of a legal activity. Crossing a public highway with a 4" locking folder on your belt because you're going rabbit shooting in the fields opposite is fine; carrying one into a petrol station because you're going home after rabbit shooting and have forgotten you're wearing the knife is not good reason and is an arrestable offence.

Very annoying and nanny state, but there it is. Blame the gangs who prowl inner cities stabbing each other.

I thought a lock was allowable for every day carry- if you had good reason. Like stopping the blade closing on your fingers in use?

Absolutely right. Just another example of the innocent suffering because of the guilty.

Gimlet appeared as I was typing: As I understand it, ceramic knives must have a percentage of metal built in somewhere to show the knife up on security scanners.

'Good reason' is the key.

'Good reason' is the key. 'Legal carry' means it may be carried on the person at any time anywhere (with the exception of airport scanners) for no particular reason and with no particular use in mind. Such knives must have folding, non-locking blades of less than 3 inches. Traditional pocket knives, in other words, including such things as nailclippers with paring blades and pipe smokers knives.

You may possess any other knife in a public only with 'good reason': that is being unavoidably and temporarily in a public place in pursuence of a legal activity. Crossing a public highway with a 4" locking folder on your belt because you're going rabbit shooting in the fields opposite is fine; carrying one into a petrol station because you're going home after rabbit shooting and have forgotten you're wearing the knife is not good reason and is an arrestable offence.

Very annoying and nanny state, but there it is. Blame the gangs who prowl inner cities stabbing each other.

Hi All

I arrived at airport security at Heathrow while flying to the US and found a small penknife in my coat pocket, i told security they went off and measured it, came back said no problems the blade is under a certain size and i flew to the US with it in my pocket,i was amazed.

Geordie

Hi All

I arrived at airport security at Heathrow while flying to the US and found a small penknife in my coat pocket, i told security they went off and measured it, came back said no problems the blade is under a certain size and i flew to the US with it in my pocket,i was amazed.

Geordie

Was this long ago?

Hi All

Geordie

Similar experience in Italy. Except they confiscated it. Was a standard Swiss army knife. But they did say, very apologetically, if it was under a certain length they would have allowed it.