Pump Club

thepasty

A good supplier of AP Custom caddies & other PSG related gear is Adam Williams who owns AW Armouries. An internet search will find him easily.

He is a regular at many four4islands competitions, feel free to check us out & come & join in the fun, you can try PSG with a section 2 shotgun, the four4islands shotgun series for 2014 kicks off on March 8th at Shield Shooting Centre in Dorset, should be a great start to another epic season.

N

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mossberg is a good gun but not the best for practical shooting competition because extending the magazine is extremely difficult, the best option is a gun that can easily install screw-on extension tubes, a good make being Nordic components.

There are many to choose from including Remington, Benelli, Winchester, Browning or Hatsan depending on your budget, all will take an extended tube.

Ported Barrels will put you in Modified Division against Semi-auto shooters at any IPSC sanctioned competition, if you shoot the four4islands series in the UK it won't make any difference, you will remain in pump division.

However magazine capacity & speed loading will dominate the list of things your practical shotgun needs if you wish to be competitive, also a multi-choke is a big advantage, this is why the Benelli & Remington tend to be the top choices for this sport, the Mossberg is slow to load as it has no lifter to help guide in the shells, you should also look at quad loading if you aim to be competitive.

Here is what you need to learn, eight shells loaded in 2.8 seconds using AP Customs shell caddies.

Slightly wrong there, as he is looking at a 590/590A1 the mag tubes on theses are the same as the 835's they have removable end caps so you can buy magazine extension tubes also I have read on some US forums that 835 barrels will fit 590/590A1 receiver making it viable to fit a 24inch barrel with chokes the only problem that throws up is 835 barrels are back bored so no good for slugs.

I cant agree with this as several of the guys (including me) at my club use Mossy 500's and are quite fast at reloading its all in technique and practice.

Hi Field Shooter

Yes your right the 590 is extendable I should have been clearer, the old 500/600s are the ones I was talking about, they are the more common versions still seen around.

Other manufacturers guns are better suited to competition currently in my opinion, don't get me wrong the Mossbergs are great guns but when buying a gun specifically for competition use you dont want to disadvantage yourself in any way if it can be at all avoided.

The ability to reload fast is a a key skill in todays PSG events & requires attention to specific details to get the best results, you can speed things up by having the best shell carrying devices available & also by purchasing a gun that lends itself better to fast loading, you then as you say practice to get faster with it, many of the guys spend hours practicing this & some are very skilled at it.

Why not come along to one of the four4islands series competitions this year with all of the guys from your club, we would love to see you there & if your as fast as you say then it will help raise the level of competition at the matches.

I look forward to shooting with you & the guys if you do.

N

Edit:

We used to visit a club over your way many years ago near Haverhill for PSG matches, (Stagecoach I think it was called) but clubs around there have been off the national PSG match circuit now for a few years, it would be good to get an active PSG club in your area onto the four4islands series.

Does your club have a suitable range for a 6-8 stage competition ?

There are certainly plenty of shooters looking for matches in your area & so it would be well supported & would also draw many of those who currently travel around the country to shoot the existing series, it could be quite profitable for the club too.

Also if anyone here knows of a club (anywhere in the UK) who may be interested in hosting such competitions please do drop me a PM or email.

Edited by neil smith

I am thinking of getting a 24inch barrel for my Wingmaster. I have permission to shoot in some woods near my house and have been enjoying the frustrating art of roost shooting.

I do love skulking through the trees with the Pumper at hand, but to be honest, the barrel is long as hell and a bit unwieldy. Anyway, it's what I want.

So does anyone have any decent suggestions on where I could get my hands on one?

Cheers peeps

Hi Field Shooter

Yes your right the 590 is extendable I should have been clearer, the old 500/600s are the ones I was talking about, they are the more common versions still seen around.

Other manufacturers guns are better suited to competition currently in my opinion, don't get me wrong the Mossbergs are great guns but when buying a gun specifically for competition use you dont want to disadvantage yourself in any way if it can be at all avoided.

The ability to reload fast is a a key skill in todays PSG events & requires attention to specific details to get the best results, you can speed things up by having the best shell carrying devices available & also by purchasing a gun that lends itself better to fast loading, you then as you say practice to get faster with it, many of the guys spend hours practicing this & some are very skilled at it.

Why not come along to one of the four4islands series competitions this year with all of the guys from your club, we would love to see you there & if your as fast as you say then it will help raise the level of competition at the matches.

I look forward to shooting with you & the guys if you do.

N

Edit:

We used to visit a club over your way many years ago near Haverhill for PSG matches, (Stagecoach I think it was called) but clubs around there have been off the national PSG match circuit now for a few years, it would be good to get an active PSG club in your area onto the four4islands series.

Does your club have a suitable range for a 6-8 stage competition ?

There are certainly plenty of shooters looking for matches in your area & so it would be well supported & would also draw many of those who currently travel around the country to shoot the existing series, it could be quite profitable for the club too.

Also if anyone here knows of a club (anywhere in the UK) who may be interested in hosting such competitions please do drop me a PM or email.

I see your point now, perhaps I was a little hasty in my first reply, I have text our section head for PSG at the club with your idea for running some comps there but I have yet to get a reply.

This is a very valid point and well put.

I am thinking of getting a 24inch barrel for my Wingmaster. I have permission to shoot in some woods near my house and have been enjoying the frustrating art of roost shooting.

I do love skulking through the trees with the Pumper at hand, but to be honest, the barrel is long as hell and a bit unwieldy. Anyway, it's what I want.

So does anyone have any decent suggestions on where I could get my hands on one?

Cheers peeps

I've got a pretty decent hacksaw you could borrow, it's great for jobs like that cuz it doesn't jam or anything.. :)

... joke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have just been out for the first time with my newly aquired latest edition to the pump club, a Winchester 1300 XTR. Put full choke in it and off we went(me and dog).

First rabbit heading straight for me, cleanly missed. Not worried as all guns take a bit of 'bedding in' although it handles just like my 1500 XTR (auto club).

Ignored the many pheasants we spooked, and then cleanly missed a jackdaw. Missed a bolting bunny on railway, forgot to rack, then remembered,then cleanly missed with second shot. Still not too concerned but a little disappointed, as was dog!

Coming off railway dog bolted another rabbit, could see it bolting below gorse bushes but no clear shot, so waited 'til it bolted into open and cleanly killed as it broke cover. Normal service resumed, dog and me well happy again.

Surprised how slick it is to pump, takes very little effort. Well chuffed.

I could PUKE !!!!!

I know that pumpers are working guns and look good with a bit of patina etc. But I could have done without dropping my Wingmaster in the mud the other day !!!!! :lol: I got well and truly bogged down in a corner of a field which leads to my roost shooting haunt.................I wish I could have ignored my instinctive reactions when falling, and just held the gun up, and let my face and body take the plunge instead. What a Cupid Stunt eh ? :stupid:

It now has 2 deep gouges in the stock, each about the length of a fag butt. They have both smashed their way through the High Gloss lacquer finish and only just damaged the wood a fraction.

To be honest, I don't like the High Gloss thing and would prefer a Matt, oiled finish anyway. Any ideas how much it would cost to strip the beast and refinish it ?? I might just buy a synthetic stock and fore end and put the wood away for a while.

Bloody hell, I still feel like puking when I look at it.............aaaargh!!!! :sick::mad::mad:

Cool, did you get that second hand? or was it a brand spanker? and if you don't mind, how much did it cost and where did you get it from?

ATB

It was brand new. I've never seen a second hand one. It cost a ridiculous amount of money, nearly as much as the rest of the gun! I think it was about £300 or so.

I've never seen one in this country, I had to settle for a 26" for mine.

Any that are around have probably been here for years, I dont think anyone imports them these days.

I have one, its made by Mossberg to fit the 870, its a 24" cyl choke barrel with no rib & rifle sights, shoots slug quite well.

I think they are still available in the USA as are other makes, the problem is getting them here.

N

First attempt at uploading images here. Some shots of Remington Wingmaster and my lovely old Hammergun. The Hammergun was my first gun and it cost me £100 !! I shot English Sporting Clays with it for nearly 3 years before I was able to get the Pumper.........(been saving for a deposit on a house)

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting the Pump action a lot..............and roost shooting the other day was quality!! In fact it was the second time out with the Wingmaster where every pull of the trigger resulted in an addition of meat to my freezer. But I will always have a soft spot for the old Russian Hammergun............I hit a 44 out of 50 once and took High Gun !!!!!!!

Anyway, on to the shots of scratched Remmy !! Just a quick couple of snaps on the kitchen table. Gives you an idea but doesn't show the depth of the injury. (still want to puke about it ). Here goes:

Breech_zps94a94464.jpg

Stockscratch_zpsc34c2f71.jpg

Bladescalepic_zps043864b3.jpg

Closeupscratch_zps58bd2c0d.jpg

Apologies but here is my Hammergun:

HammergunBest_zpse249674b.jpg

Pride and Joy

PrideandJoy_zpscb107a1a.jpg

(edited today because I moved photos to a different album and the bloody link code changed................................nause)

Edited by Danoi99

It's a brand spanker mate. Less than 300 shots so far. Very happy with the purchase sir...............it fits me like a glove and it has proven itself well. I love it !!!!!

Feels like I own a little bit of gun history. I was never going to be able to own the best Side by Side or OU, but best Pump Action? maybe..............just maybe. :whistling:

It's a brand spanker mate. Less than 300 shots so far. Very happy with the purchase sir...............it fits me like a glove and it has proven itself well. I love it !!!!!

Feels like I own a little bit of gun history. I was never going to be able to own the best Side by Side or OU, but best Pump Action? maybe..............just maybe. :whistling:

I reckon you're right mate :)

I got my local RFD to give Edgar Bros a ring when I heard that they were about to loose the distribution angle for Remington.

They asked them if there were any new Wingmasters kicking about cheap. There was, and I bagged it. Best purchase I have made in a long time mate.

Have to say thanks to Dan at Braces gun shop, Wells rd, Bristol for getting it sorted for me. Great shop.