rifle gone to the dogs

cockercas

One of my rifles has gone funny and wont shoot.

Previously a .5in group

Now inch and a half group.

So lets build a list of things for me to check.

I home load but its the same batch of ammo.

Bore has been checked with a bore scope and cleaned by steve kershaw.

Nut at rear of stock?

Not wanting to inflate my ego but its deffinetly not me.

Are your home loads all in the same brand of brass, as a mixture of brasses can result in change of accuracy.

Yes, im quite anal about it to.

Everything is loaded to as tight tollarance as i can get it.

Old brass! I have had it happen on old brass.

Action been out of stock? Bolt touching the stock! The slightest contact there is catastophic.

U.

Yes actions been out. Actions been beded to try resolve this. Someone had sanded the stock down under the barrel and not sealed it. It got wet and swelled so i sanded it some more sealed it and bedded it.

Yes actions been out. Actions been beded to try resolve this. Someone had sanded the stock down under the barrel and not sealed it. It got wet and swelled so i sanded it some more sealed it and bedded it.

I thought you only bedded the action?

I thought you only supposed to bed the action ?

Oops dont know why I said it twice

I thought you only bedded the action?

I thought you only supposed to bed the action ?

Oops dont know why I said it twice

Sorry for not been clear. I have only bedded the action.

The stock under the barrel was sanded out and sealed with nail varnish.

Ok just a thought,having read through another post after in a different section you posted in I guessed you knew what you were doing

The post you read could have been mine,i dont know what im doing.you tube shows the bedding of action and 1" of the barrel chamber end ,then another riffle smith beds the whole barrel full length of the stock which i find confusing.

Just how much clearance do you have between barrel and channel?

Somewhere between 1/16&1/8" is needed!

If that load was developed on an unfloated barrel and now you have a semi/floated barrel it may be of no use now!

Can/did you try with no can on? It's weight may change the barrels interaction on the stock etc.

U.

Just how much clearance do you have between barrel and channel?

Somewhere between 1/16&1/8" is needed!

If that load was developed on an unfloated barrel and now you have a semi/floated barrel it may be of no use now!

Can/did you try with no can on? It's weight may change the barrels interaction on the stock etc.

U.

More then 1/8th of an inch.

That load was done with a floated barrel.

Tride with 6mm T8 and .30cal T8. 30 cal shoots slightly better but not great.

No mod shoots mostly the same but chucks the odd good group out aswell.

Edited by cockercas

This is the hornet, yes?

Have you ensured bedding it has left the action stress free?

Yes, but only by standing the gun on the butt and losening/tightening the action screws. No movement in the barrel.

A thorough cleaning may also have upset it, did steve clear the carbon AND copper? My 222 takes a fair bit of shooting back in after copper removal so i dont do it very often, the barrel,is quite old and rather worn so my copper is proving beneficial.

Yes steve gave it a good going over but it had started shooting poor before hand thats why steve cleaned/bore scoped it.

Steve is a top bloke. He knows his stuff I am wondering what his prognosis was??? Did he hand it back to you and quickly look the other way ??? ;-)

I assume all other avenues have been covered. Nuts bolts scope all good ??? Tried using a different scope???

1.5 inch at 100. I think you need to start and improve your stalking skills.

Just try shooting it without a moddy at all fitted, then if no change clean and service the bolt, then new brass, then new powder. Only do one thing at a time till you find the issue. However we all have off days and it isn't always the equipment the day after one of my poorest competitive performances I came down with an breathing related infection, stress can play a massive part in things also- is there maybe a big event happening? work issues? I don't know Steve Kershaws work but he seems to have a reputation over that way so I assume he has done the usual crown and contact points thing from what you describe, its hard to prove a barrel has gone bad through bore- scoping if things have not seriously let go . some look real bad but shoot just great, others look fine but are not

Steve is a top bloke. He knows his stuff I am wondering what his prognosis was??? Did he hand it back to you and quickly look the other way ??? ;-)

I assume all other avenues have been covered. Nuts bolts scope all good ??? Tried using a different scope???

Steve just cleaned/scoped it while i was having a brew at his just because i had it in my head that it was the bore.

Its a second hand rifle and was in the shop a while.

Steve just cleaned/scoped it while i was having a brew at his just because i had it in my head that it was the bore.

Its a second hand rifle and was in the shop a while.

100% not user error.

Only spare scope i have is sat ontop of a mates rifle.

Edited by cockercas