America's Gun Addiction on BBC1

bullet boy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't require a "need" to exercise a right.

But if you persist, why do Americans "need" Semi auto rifles? the Second Amendment. To overthrow a tyrannical government. You can argue about how successful that would be (at very least, it will make it a little easier) but that's the "need" . But again, its a right , "need" has no bearing on rights. .

Once you start getting into the realm of "Do you need that?" you will end up like the UK.

"You don't need semi auto..."

"You don't need pistols.."

"You don't need semi shotguns.."

"You don't need pumps..."

"you don't need over and unders..."

Soon your left with nothing. Americans seem unwilling to see their rights degraded in such a way, admiral really.

Edited by gazzthompson

Just watched it and it's very interesting. cannot see why anyone in any country would need a semi auto assualt rifle

People are going on about the assault rifle as far as i am aware the rifle was not used in the shooting. A shotgun and .22 rifle was used in the last mass shooting here you could ask why does anyone need a .22 rifle and a shotgun.

Edited by ordnance

Its a cultural thing. My best mate moved to Texas and married a yank. She's a gun gun fan along with the rest if them. They can't understand hoe we can not have guns in the way they do. May as well compare us with afganistan, its a different culture. Only think is the yanks pretend to speak English :-P Aluminum my *****. Apologies to any educated and sensible Americans I may have steteotyped.

Might have its place on a range, but would you turn up at a farm & show the farmer what you are gona use to get rid of his rabbits.

Can't see the farmer giving 2 hoots what you use as long as you deal with the problem in a safe and effective manner, walnut doesn't make a gun less dangerous you know.......

Pest control or sport? Why not make it a land owner only condition for getting an FAC, no permission you have to own it to shoot on it and you can have what ever you seem necessary to control the issue on your land...

Can't see the farmer giving 2 hoots what you use as long as you deal with the problem in a safe and effective manner, walnut doesn't make a gun less dangerous you know.......

Pest control or sport? Why not make it a land owner only condition for getting an FAC, no permission you have to own it to shoot on it and you can have what ever you seem necessary to control the issue on your land...

why so only rich people can enjoy the sport? lot of people would lose there riffles if i understand you correctly

Edited by overandunder2012

to be honest the ar15 in my opinion i would only find useful on the target range and i doubt id own a gun like that but i suspect i would enjoy shooting it

I've had a play with a friend's .223 one (dry firing) and they are heavy, clunky, noisy and have the heaviest trigger on earth but there is no difference between that and a more 'traditional' rifle if you are out lamping a fox. The only real difference is in other peoples perceptions.

Well if that's how you think,you best hand in your licence's if you aint the landowner :yes: BB

why so only rich people can enjoy the sport? lot of people would lose there riffles if i understand you correctly

Indeed they would, but if it isnt their land why do they need guns? Sport? Explain "sport"

Edited by HDAV

Just mabe that some of them remember that we (The British) went over there 199 years ago with a couple of thousand military and about three thousand mercinarys and slaughtered their ancesters. Perhaps they don't want a repeat. and thats why some do not like the British.

Untill we get something like the NRA that encompases ALL forms of shooting, and not fragmented like we are now . United we stand divided we fall. Until then our days will be numbered!!

I watched the programme and it was an eye opener to me. Yes I can see the point that their second amendment gives folk the right to arms etc, and the Americans to take it to the n'th degree, but what I was shocked at, was the ease the reporter was able to purchase such a gun, with very limited control or checks.

What would be so wrong if America had gun laws similar to ours, with either club membership or land for FAC guns?

I watched the programme and it was an eye opener to me. Yes I can see the point that their second amendment gives folk the right to arms etc, and the Americans to take it to the n'th degree, but what I was shocked at, was the ease the reporter was able to purchase such a gun, with very limited control or checks.

What would be so wrong if America had gun laws similar to ours, with either club membership or land for FAC guns?

Wouldn't it be fantastic if you didn't need to go permission hunting every week? Imagine you had a place to go where you could shoot what you wanted when you wanted legally. America is full of those places. If I was an American, I'd laugh at the restrictive laws we have over here, and would do everything I could to defend the American status quo. Very little shooters this side of the pond will ever reach their full potential when it comes to shooting because of the laws.

I am rather fortunate enough not to have to go permission hunting every week as you quote. I can shoot up to .243 legally when I want. I am also safe in the knowledge that, although our laws are far from perfect, for FAC, generally people are vetted sufficiently that nutters are kept from owning such guns and that the majority stay as far away from trouble as possible to stain their tickets. Just because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can own a high powered gun. (Although a car can be a lethal tool too)

Edited by jgguinness

Wouldn't it be fantastic if you didn't need to go permission hunting every week? Imagine you had a place to go where you could shoot what you wanted when you wanted legally. America is full of those places. If I was an American, I'd laugh at the restrictive laws we have over here, and would do everything I could to defend the American status quo. Very little shooters this side of the pond will ever reach their full potential when it comes to shooting because of the laws.

Well off you go and enjoy the increased liklihood of being shot dead. Bye bye

Its a cultural thing. My best mate moved to Texas and married a yank. She's a gun gun fan along with the rest if them. They can't understand hoe we can not have guns in the way they do. May as well compare us with afganistan, its a different culture. Only think is the yanks pretend to speak English :-P Aluminum my *****. Apologies to any educated and sensible Americans I may have steteotyped.

Culture is what it comes down to.

We can't be compared to other industrialized nations when it comes to gun ownership because there are no others like us. We're the only Western nation where gun ownership is a right. Americans equate widespread gun ownership with personal freedom, liberty, and independence from the government. We fought for our independence largely with private weapons at the start of the war. The first battle of the American Revolutionary War, the Battle of Lexington and Concord, started because British troops were trying to confiscate peoples' guns. We feel that if they can take away guns, they can take away our other rights, too.

shooting sports in my opinion is safe legal use of guns for pleasure

So leisure activity, no different to someone who wants to own just to own one. Personal defence is a better justification. Be very wary of the "hollier than thou" attitude...

A good shooting friend of mine has been working in the States, when some of his American colleagues found out he was a shooter they invited him out with them the following weekend. Not during the day though , they went out for an overnighter, camping and cooking in the desert, plenty of boose consumed and shooting tin cans with high powered rifles without consideration of a backdrop. Needless to say he only went once.

I am rather fortunate enough not to have to go permission hunting every week as you quote. I can shoot up to .243 legally when I want. I am also safe in the knowledge that, although our laws are far from perfect, for FAC, generally people are vetted sufficiently that nutters are kept from owning such guns and that the majority stay as far away from trouble as possible to stain their tickets. Just because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can own a high powered gun. (Although a car can be a lethal tool too)

Your joking right? Theres loads of nutters with fac.

All that means is they wrote the right thing on the form and said the right things at the interview.

Same as a criminal record. You only have one if you have been caught.