Condensation in gun cabinets

Rogc

Go to a good pet store and buy a 14w heat mat for keeping reptiles warm. Put that inside your cabinet - you will need a plug point nearby though.
My cabinet is in an unheated outbuilding and it keeps the condensation at bay...

Also from the pet store reptile section, get a cheap "hygrometer" so you can keep an eye on the moisture level in the cabinet...

Edited by MirokuMK70

Go to a good pet store and buy a 14w heat mat for keeping reptiles warm. Put that inside your cabinet - you will need a plug point nearby though.

My cabinet is in an unheated outbuilding and it keeps the condensation at bay...

Also from the pet store reptile section, get a cheap "hygrometer" so you can keep an eye on the moisture level in the cabinet...

Line the inside with silicone and cork tiles then drill about 6 x 10mm holes horizontally in the top or top side of the cabinet to allow the cabinet to breathe,you won't get another drip of condensation trust me I keep my guns in the attic too,with now more condensation.

ATB

CHM

Guys if anyone want the gun socks I can get Allen ones here in the USA where I am on holiday. I've already bought 4 for myself.

To sort p and p etc i can do them at £7 each if you want any let me know. Last shopping day is April 3rd so just pm If you require and ill pick you some up.

Edited by lksopener

I was always under the impression a gun sock or any type of gun cover was a bad idea in the attic as they trap moisture from the guns if they are damp or from a damp atmosphere and rust the guns up, I have the wee silica gel packets you get in shoe boxes/ electrical equipment and have them in the cabinet, as well as keeping the metalwork well oiled, as for heating I could be wrong but if temperatures fluctuate in the attic and even a low power heater is running could this crack the woodwork on the gun after a while ?

• 7 years later...

Yes you can still buy the rolls of the 2mm polystyrene. A bit of a pain but why not build a wooden box / cabinet around the gun safe with a door on it enclosing the gun cabinet but keep a gap between the metal safe and the wooden surround use spray glue on the inner wooden surface and line with insulation , including the back of the Wooden door I would imagine you’d keep a more constant temperature And obviously still use the gel bags.  I assume it’s up against a wall so just screw batten to the wall or rafters and make yourself a wooden surround . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2013 at 14:09, Beardo said:

Enclosure heaters are the way forward (and cheap)

is the only proper cure 40watt or  60watt encloseure heater ,not going to break the bank to run its what i fitted as had the same problem.

used in electrical panels etc very compact plenty available on the bay and cheap just make sure you use the right heat rated flex cable to connect em.

On 03/09/2020 at 11:27, Remimax said:

is the only proper cure 40watt or  60watt encloseure heater ,not going to break the bank to run its what i fitted as had the same problem.

used in electrical panels etc very compact plenty available on the bay and cheap just make sure you use the right heat rated flex cable to connect em.

40W (on all of the time) is about 1 KWh per 24 hour period - and costs costs roughly a pound a week if that helps.