Snap Caps

marc147

Hi I have been using the plastic see through snap caps which are nice and cheep. I have noticed the brass bit the firing pin strikes is getting pretty worn. If I stick with this type of snap cap how often should I replace them? Are there better snap caps that will last longer? The closest decent shooting shop to me is a 40 mile round trip so I wouldnt mind paying a bit more for something that might save me a trip in the long run.

Cheers Marc

Don't use them, I know of a chap who cleaned his gun in his living room and when he had finished he put the 2 snap caps in and fired, problem was he put 2 live cartridges in and blew his fireplace to bits. A lack of concentration and it's easy to get mixed up.

A much debated area, there may be an argument for some older guns but modern technology, machining and materials may well mean on newer guns they are redundant.

You certainly don't need them on a semi anyway, from the cocked position simply hold the breech about 1/2-3/4 open and pull the trigger, job done. :good:

It's interesting to see how many folks don't bother with them. As a civie shot gun user I've always used them when firing off the action (after cleaning etc) as it appeared to be the done thing? That said as a soldier almost every weapon I ever used from 9mm pistols to .50 cal machine guns involved firing off the action once cleared and in nine years I never once heard of or saw anything resembling a snap cap!

If you have them why not use them? If it's pointless well so what, what if it ain't? As for putting live cartridges in well I guess his gun safety leaves a lot to be desired, not being nasty but most caps are transparent or full brass so mixing them up would be hard. Also on another note I find them useful when showing someone the ropes, they effectively get to load and shoot a inert cartridge with no recoil and learn how the gun functions safely :)

Don't use them, I know of a chap who cleaned his gun in his living room and when he had finished he put the 2 snap caps in and fired, problem was he put 2 live cartridges in and blew his fireplace to bits. A lack of concentration and it's easy to get mixed up.

I shouldnt laugh but that did make me chuckle. :lol:

That's not a lack of concentration, that's stupidity

Edited by Browning 425 clay hunter