Been turned down for sgc :-(

That's the point. But dangerous to whom? A lot of 'mental illness' is nothing of the sort. It is a natural reaction to pressurised, fast moving and unhealthy lives. Struggling with some personal calamity or buckling under intolerable modern-life stress does not mean you are of unsound mind; it means you are unhappy. However society's default assumption is that anything other than blissful contentment indicates mental disorder, and mental disorder leads inevitably to violent derangement; guns and sharp objects should be locked away and the sufferer treated with patronism, exaggerated concern and toxic medication. This is the post-institutional version of the padded cell and it is nonsense. It will cause more risks and more unnecessary misery than it prevents.

With every aspect of our lives recorded on computer data bases and doctors under pressure to notify all and sundry of any development in a patient's health that might present a financial or legal risk, reaching the end of your tether, to use the old fashioned phrase, has becomed indistinquishable from serious psychotic disorder, and thousands of perfectly sane and healthy people who need help coping when life has overtaken them will be discouraged from seeking it from fear of the repercussions.

A perfect example of the law of unintended consequences. And that is dangerous.

Read this first and as I've not been following the thread, went back and started from the beginning. Made a note of post #31. Have now just seen #197 before returning here.

Initially, I thought this made good sense; still do, but note that it's been heavily edited. Was this a result of post #197 with its reference to #31?

For my money, the OP has shown great sense and should be complimented on his decision to accept the decision (which this whole thread has shown was not easy for him), whether fair/correct or not. I truly hope that his action is rewarded and in the fullness of time the situation is resolved in line with his wishes.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this first and as I've not been following the thread, went back and started from the beginning. Made a note of post #31. Have now just seen #197 before returning here.

Initially, I thought this made good sense; still do, but note that it's been heavily edited. Was this a result of post #197 with its reference to #31?

For my money, the OP has shown great sense and should be complimented on his decision to accept the decision (which this whole thread has shown was not easy for him), whether fair/correct or not. I truly hope that his action is rewarded and in the fullness of time the situation is resolved in line with his wishes.

Don't quite know what you mean. My post you quote has not been heavily edited. I went back to correct a spelling mistake, that's all. (I left the second 'e' out of derangement. Pedantic I know but that's me.) I do that quite often because I'm a fusser, but I've never altered one of my posts in response to something someone else has written. I just couldn't be bothered, life's too short. I shove in my two penn'orth in, for what it is worth, as the thread progresses.

Edit: AGAIN!

Beg your pardon Wymberly. If I edited in between your two readings you may well be right. I do that as well if i feel I could have worded smething better. And in this case I can't remember what I changed beyond the spelling mistake.

So in answer to your question, no I didn't edit in response to other posts but may well have done because I'm a faffer who can't leave well alone.

Hope that clears it up. I'll get my coat now. Carry on as you were.

Edited by Gimlet

Don't quite know what you mean. My post you quote has not been heavily edited. I went back to correct a spelling mistake, that's all. (I left the second 'e' out of derangement. Pedantic I know but that's me.) I do that quite often because I'm a fusser, but I've never altered one of my posts in response to something someone else has written. I just couldn't be bothered, life's too short. I shove in my two penn'orth in, for what it is worth, as the thread progresses.

Edit: AGAIN!

Beg your pardon Wymberly. If I edited in between your two readings you may well be right. I do that as well if i feel I could have worded smething better. And in this case I can't remember what I changed beyond the spelling mistake.

So in answer to your question, no I didn't edit in response to other posts but may well have done because I'm a faffer who can't leave well alone.

Hope that clears it up. I'll get my coat now. Carry on as you were.

Many thanks.

Obviously, I don't know what qualifications you may have, but all that you've said on this topic makes sense to me. Rightly or wrongly, I detect an element of sympathy for the OP's predicament which may be based on understanding. What you deleted made sense too in the circumstance but now is of no consequence.

Wait for me, I'll get me 'at.

Looks like I'm out of step on this one and all the other guys are reading more than what stands out to my sometimes Victor Meldrew frame of mind.

I'm fully capable of reading stuff wrong so apologies if my thinking out loud has caused any offence. Get well soon bud.

Well decided to go against the docs advice and now don't take the tablet at all :) doing it the docs way would have took too long :| so day 6 tomorrow in a row and got no urges of going loony lol

Trying to get hold of a cheap air rifle to do some target shooting to pace the time away :good:

Ps Thanks for the support guys B)

Lee

Hi Lee,

I've just seen this thread and have not read all the posts - but I have first hand experience of this situation.

A few years ago I was referred to Hampshire Mental Heath after a short period of depression. When the psychiatrist found out I had a shot gun she went to the police station and recommended they take it away!! I was totally stable, was not going to harm myself but she was just one of those anti gun type people. The police took my guns and revoked my certificate.

I started an appeal against the decision, but the police said that if I was discharged after one year and stable they would be happy to consider a new application. Based on this I dropped the appeal. A year later I re-applied for my certificate, I was no longer seeing the psychiatrist, had full support from my GP and a supporting report from an independent consultant. The police turned down my new application because i was still taking 1 tablet a day.

I appealed the decision and went to court. The judge ruled in my favour saying the police cannot use the fact that you may be talking medication, or seeking medical help as the grounds to refuse a certificate, however the police must show that the condition itself causes a risk to public safety. So basically I beat Hampshire police in court and I was issued a certificate. The whole experience cost me over £5,000, but it was worth every penny - and I continued on medication for a short time after. (I have stopped now)

So basically I would advise you not to go against the doctors orders - don't stop your medication it is there to help you and it is not worth you becoming really down. If you have the means then appeal the decision, if not speak to BASC they may help you with the process.

seems a little harsh. my dad has held a sgc for as lomg as i can remember. he has depression and its never be a problem. he also applied for his fac a couple of years ago and had no problem getting it hes still on the tablets and nothing was ever said different counties different rules and approaches i guess hope you get sorted

I wonder how many people may avoid seeking help because of this type of reaction by the police. I agree - the medication should not dictate revocation of a certificate - an assessment of the individual should. I think doctors and the police are taking the CYA approach (cover your ****).

For instance, Champix - the drug whih helps you stop smoking has some notable side effects - such as suicidal thoughts. Does having his prescribed to you warrant revocation of a SGC?

Hi Lee,

I've just seen this thread and have not read all the posts - but I have first hand experience of this situation.

A few years ago I was referred to Hampshire Mental Heath after a short period of depression. When the psychiatrist found out I had a shot gun she went to the police station and recommended they take it away!! I was totally stable, was not going to harm myself but she was just one of those anti gun type people. The police took my guns and revoked my certificate.

I started an appeal against the decision, but the police said that if I was discharged after one year and stable they would be happy to consider a new application. Based on this I dropped the appeal. A year later I re-applied for my certificate, I was no longer seeing the psychiatrist, had full support from my GP and a supporting report from an independent consultant. The police turned down my new application because i was still taking 1 tablet a day.

I appealed the decision and went to court. The judge ruled in my favour saying the police cannot use the fact that you may be talking medication, or seeking medical help as the grounds to refuse a certificate, however the police must show that the condition itself causes a risk to public safety. So basically I beat Hampshire police in court and I was issued a certificate. The whole experience cost me over £5,000, but it was worth every penny - and I continued on medication for a short time after. (I have stopped now)

So basically I would advise you not to go against the doctors orders - don't stop your medication it is there to help you and it is not worth you becoming really down. If you have the means then appeal the decision, if not speak to BASC they may help you with the process.

The best post on here in a long time. The important point in all of this is the penultimate paragraph; a certificate can only be refused, or revoked, if you present an actual risk to public safety or the peace.

J.

Hi Lee,

Trust me mate if i had the money i would fight the decision but as it is im happy to come off the meds and re-applying in a year :good: glad you won your case though m8ty B)

All the best.

Lee