recomendations please?? foxing rifle

fabarm gamma boy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.223 and with that sort of budget look second hand and see what you can pick up as a package. CZ or a remi 700 are the likely candidates both of which should be fine. When you go centerfire the rifle is one part of the cost but don't discount how much mods, rings and scopes are so often a package makes sense

If I was looking this would seriously tempt me, ok it is over your budget but with that scope and mod well worth stretching the budget for

http://www.gunwatch.co.uk/guns/5785-Tikka-T3-Lite-for-sale

Edited by al4x

.223 and with that sort of budget look second hand and see what you can pick up as a package. CZ or a remi 700 are the likely candidates both of which should be fine. When you go centerfire the rifle is one part of the cost but don't discount how much mods, rings and scopes are so often a package makes sense

If I was looking this would seriously tempt me, ok it is over your budget but with that scope and mod well worth stretching the budget for

http://www.gunwatch.co.uk/guns/5785-Tikka-T3-Lite-for-sale

i see your point al4x, mind thats exactly the sort of gun i would after! It will be a couple of months before im ready to buy! So il get saving :good:

Atb

fabarm

Thanks all for the advice! Its appreciated!

Atb fabarm

id like a 22-250 but the only thing stopping me is iv heard they are very loud and can be a problem with wearing barrels out? So if im buyibg second hand id not be sure!

They do sound a bit like the gates of hell opening if they are not fitted with a mod. At a guess i would say barrel wear will be about 4000 shots.

22/250 every time. Don't worry about barrel wear - old wives tales for modern guns.

Noisy they are but modern moderators take care of that.

Dissapointed you will not be.

Awesome weapons.

Tikka T3 will see you right.

Lol you sound like yoda,

everyones jumping in here talking big calibres

depending on your fao i would ask him his opinion, he might want you to start with a lesser calibre if its the 1st time you have had a fac.

i cannot see him giving you a 223/243 without getting some experience with a .22 or .17hmr

atb delburt0 :good::good::good: and as for a budget good rifle you cannot get much better results than from a cz ....i no souths yorks wouldnt give you a 223 or above unless you have experience, a lot of land, and someone to babysit you, good luck

Edited by delburt0

I have shot rifles before but not had my own fac, i was a member of a club also where i shot various calibres but yes that was at a range! In terms of land i have lots but as you say they may not give me one on that basis, but in terms of knowledge and experienced iv alot more than most starters, but if they wont give me 223 id be happy to set off with a 17centerfire! Gotta start somewhere :good:

Windy up there then!

If it has to be a 22 then a 22-250. Noise don't matter up them hills and even so it not that noisy in my opinion!

.243 would be good too.

In saying that it is quite possible to get close to stuff in the hills etc.

Dunno about the 17's, wind and unseen long grasses!

U.

I have shot rifles before but not had my own fac, i was a member of a club also where i shot various calibres but yes that was at a range! In terms of land i have lots but as you say they may not give me one on that basis, but in terms of knowledge and experienced iv alot more than most starters, but if they wont give me 223 id be happy to set off with a 17centerfire! Gotta start somewhere :good:

cant go far wrong with a cz452.17hmr if you cannot get a 22/250 you have to get them in slightly closer but it all ads to the thrill of the stalk, also ask about a 22 hornet excellent foxing round upto 100 120yds wish i had kept mine :good:

Edited by delburt0

This fox and rifle business have been debated for years and nobody has ever come up with an answer, because the gun/calibre required is different for different situations.

Loads spout on about CF for Fox and suggest rimfire are for rabbits, RUBBISH, I shoot a LOT of Fox in domestic environments and I can guarantee you that my .22lr, HMR and WMR have claimed more fox than my .223, .243, and .308! Now, If I'm down the Farm, Golf Club, Stables, whatever, and I have to deal with a longer range fox I wouldn't dream of taking a rimfire.

So what rifle do you need for the fox, well I have 7, if you need to pick one, think carefully!

One that doesn't work for me is a .17 Centrefire, perhaps because I have so many others to chose from, but frankly I couldn't pick ONE. I would HAVE to have a MINIMUM of two, and I would be far from happy with just two!

But I shoot foxes from about 05-300 yards, the majority being under 100 yards, and in a mass of different environments!

In the Lakes it would have to be a .243 win for me, that's what I use in the hills of Bowland when I need to reach out a bit. I should more than likely run something at the heavier end like a the new 87 grn Hornady varmint bullet I am now getting steadily quite into zeroed aprox 215 - 220 yds you should be in the fox box (3" approx circle to 250) and saving quite a bit on wind over say a 22-250 running a 55 grn bullet near enough 2" better in fact @ FV 10mph 250 yds, as the wind is more likely to be 20mph than it is 5mph up in the hills then that's like a 4" wind saving. Its also all deer legal and having Roe , Reds and fallow up there well worthwhile. Are you North or South Lakes? Your welcome to hear mine go bang if your not too far I am about 40 mins from Kendal. PM me if your up for it. Barrel life is short, you will be lucky in the extreme to get an accurate 4000 rounds through a 22-250 or a .243, but that's a lot of foxes! 1500 competitive 2500 max hunting for the .243.

Edited by kent