I've let my heart rule my head

Wiggum

After having a browning semi auto for a few years and also not getting out decoying as much as I used too I started looking for an over and under for use on the clays and an occasional decoying session. I've always liked the beretta 686e which a friend had so I eventually twisted my own arm and after several visits to the rfd and lots of shouldering I purchased a shiney new 686e Evo. This is where my dilemma began as I had fully expected for my clay scores to drop with a new un-familiar gun and said to myself hopefully they would improve in time but the problem is after almost three months I still don't feel comfortable shouldering or using the gun and my scores on the clays are erratic to say the least which is really starting to frustrate me so much so I'm now considering selling the beretta and buying another semi auto. I think the real question is do you think I've not given it long enough with the o/u or should I cut my losses and go back to a semi auto?

Edited by Wiggum

I would stick with it for longer if I were you , how about seeing a coach and making sure the gun fit is good.

It took me ages to start shooting well with my auto after swapping from a o/u but all it needed was a little more height in the comb.

First of all, what a nice gun I can only dream of owning a 686e Evo.

I know what it's like when you get a new gun and it does not meet your expectations.

I recently got an auto and asked a mate who has one to come out shooting to watch me shoot it.

If you have someone to go out with you to watch you it may help.

I have now got used to it and don't want to use my pump or O/U as it is not easy going from one to another.

All that said I shoot best with a SBS and don't even own one?

Lessons are the way to go they will identify any fit issues as well as technique flaws (BTW what are you shooting? Trap? Skeet? Sporting?

I'm mainly doing sporting with the very occasional skeet. I used to be able to shoot sporting with my auto unmounted and I now find myself pre mounting the o/u and being overly fussy with eye/bead alignment so frustrating as I never had this before. Maybe a few lessons are the way forward ?

Still got the auto?

Them Berettas are slim actioned, some like it and some don't. Your auto will be deeper actioned than the Beretta, it could be that difference that is upsetting you, maybe.

U.

I'm mainly doing sporting with the very occasional skeet. I used to be able to shoot sporting with my auto unmounted and I now find myself pre mounting the o/u and being overly fussy with eye/bead alignment so frustrating as I never had this before. Maybe a few lessons are the way forward ?

That sounds just like someone with a bad fitting gun!

U.

i went from a beretta A400,which I realy liked,but was letting me down too much,to the Browning ultra XS,I'd been to holland and Holland to have a gun fit and had the measurements,The browning has the adj comb and mine was fitted with an ISIS adj recoil pad,I set the gun up according to the H&H,then played a bit.My scores went straight up and have stayed better.

Thanks for the replies guys look like a lesson or two is in order before I start shelling out on another new gun.

Odds are a lesson will get you sorted, maybe the fit needs looking at, the gun may be firing in a different place compared to your last, a session on the pattern plate with the lesson should sort that, and anyone qualified giving you a lesson will have a good idea about gun fit as well, and know whether it is close enough or a full fitting is required?

I run a 391 Gold and a 686 Sporting Special (and a few others) they do feel/shoot quite a lot different! :good:

After having a browning semi auto for a few years and also not getting out decoying as much as I used too I started looking for an over and under for use on the clays and an occasional decoying session. I've always liked the beretta 686e which a friend had so I eventually twisted my own arm and after several visits to the rfd and lots of shouldering I purchased a shiney new 686e Evo. This is where my dilemma began as I had fully expected for my clay scores to drop with a new un-familiar gun and said to myself hopefully they would improve in time but the problem is after almost three months I still don't feel comfortable shouldering or using the gun and my scores on the clays are erratic to say the least which is really starting to frustrate me so much so I'm now considering selling the beretta and buying another semi auto. I think the real question is do you think I've not given it long enough with the o/u or should I cut my losses and go back to a semi auto?

hi fella the problem is you will never shoot a gun well that you dont feel comfortable with,last year my mate went though what you are going though he bought a new gun and just could not shoot well with it he had an all day lesson at the cost of £300 quid + carts and it completely f888 hes scores up from that day on he now after 9 new guns has gone back to shooting as he did before the lesson, and he has improved but hes latest gun a new dt10 fitasc is on its way out after only 4 weeks so maybe you should persist a little longer it normaly tates me a 100 carts to know if the new gun i have just bought will be any good to shoot

hi fella the problem is you will never shoot a gun well that you dont feel comfortable with,last year my mate went though what you are going though he bought a new gun and just could not shoot well with it he had an all day lesson at the cost of £300 quid + carts and it completely f888 hes scores up from that day on he now after 9 new guns has gone back to shooting as he did before the lesson, and he has improved but hes latest gun a new dt10 fitasc is on its way out after only 4 weeks so maybe you should persist a little longer it normaly tates me a 100 carts to know if the new gun i have just bought will be any good to shoot

I just don't get/see the point of an ALL DAY lesson.

If you are new and learning you cannot take it all in and you will be knackered anyway very quickly, and if you are experienced and have already got bad habits you will be ****** off and forget most of what you are told.

1 hour lession should point the OP very firmly in the right direction! :good:

I just don't get/see the point of an ALL DAY lesson.

If you are new and learning you cannot take it all in and you will be knackered anyway very quickly, and if you are experienced and have already got bad habits you will be ****** off and forget most of what you are told.

1 hour lession should point the OP very firmly in the right direction! :good:

hes not new to shooting been shooting 5/6 years hes also got money falling out of hes ares,iam not saying it's right or wrong having an all day lesson only telling the OP about one of my mates who's in the some baot as him

I shoot a Berreta A303 sa and a SP1 o/u

I found that I had to raise the comb on my SP1 as the fit was compltely different.

I also found that I am left eye dominant which didn't really affect me to much on the shorter barrel of the SA but with 30" barrels on the O/U made quite a difference.

A lesson or 2 from a pro will hopefully sort you out.

has anyone shot the evo against the older 686e....i have and found it awful.

I shoot a 686e sporting black now 3 yr old and a mate has just bought the evo.....i had a go on it at doveridge and it felt bloody awful it just didnt feel balanced and was front heavy. when trying to shoot driven clays it just didnt want to raise another of my fereinds had a go on mine and then the evo and said exactly the same. mybe its something to do with the boring on the cylinder and the difference in chokes even so i wouldnt of thought they would of handled that different.

maybe its something to do with that i know i wouldnt be able to get on with it.

both guns are 30inch barrels and actions are nr identical.

A few people have said it now, and I was given the same advice - go for a lesson. Hopefully the instructor should ask you what you are having difficulties with and focus on those issues.

I had a Beretta 687 which I bought 25 years ago, and after a while not shooting, picked it up and found I wasn't doing as well as I used to be able.

I went to a local shooting ground/shop that has coaching too. They were very helpful, and identified a few things. (Some before I had even mounted a gun!) Basically my Beretta was not an ideal fit (too short, and comb too low). And secondly, I have a slight tendency to the left eye taking over dominance - something I do not think I have had before, so things can change.

After trying various new and used guns out, I swapped my Beretta for a B725. The longer stock took a bit of getting used to, but seems fine now.

I used to occasionally 'miss mount' my 687 and obviously that completely fluffs the shot before you start. That has not yet happened with the B725.

Since then, I think my shooting has improved, and I also know more often why I have missed.

I went into the shop with a mind set on a 686 Evo - the browning just felt better in the end.