Tikka T3 Lite

Mitchsan51

I realllllllllly wanted a tikka...............until i actually picked one up and held it.

Just couldnt get away with it and did not like anything about it.

Not saying they are bad but did not feel right for me.

thats my feelings with them, they shoot very well but if you have the money buy a sako all the bits are sorted compared to the tikka none of the plastic everywhere

It's a bit like asking...... I want to buy a Ford, are they any good, and others chipping in and saying a Jaguar is better!

What calibre, what do you want to do with it, moderator or not, new or used?

A Jaguar isn't going to get you to work any quicker than a Ford, it will cost you more to buy and run, is the difference worth it, well, maybe to some.

You will struggle to find anyone who says I chucked in my Tikka for a Sako because I wanted something more reliable and more accurate, that just doesn't happen!

So, is a Tikka any good....is a bicycle any good, probably get you to work quicker than any Ford or Jaguar in many towns rush hours! :hmm::hmm:

Nothing wrong with Tikka, CZ, Remington etc. loads of people buy them all, and are happy, and we are all different people! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Try both is the answer and the differences are just as poetic, if you have the money and want something you will want to keep then buy the Sako, if you are happy with lots of plastic bits buy the tikka. Having bought a finlight partly due to weight as its a stalking rifle and using a mates t3 I sure wouldn't have it any other way. Just depends on funds when you buy the differences in function are there but personally I'd have a second hand Sako over a new tika if I was looking for cheaper

ok try sako 85, its little things like the 5 shot flush metal magazine, bolt shroud and other bits that makes the difference IMHO but the tikas all seem to shoot its just the aesthetics that are nicer if its something you use a few times a week. Just the same as shotguns you don't need one thats nice to handle and look at but if you can afford it you appreciate it in the long term.

I own a Sako 75 (.22-250) and a Tikka T3 Lite (.243) Both are excellent rifles and are very accurate. The Sako, without doubt is a better rifle, looks and 'feel' wise, and is better built. The T3 'Lite' has this name for this reason. It's built with more 'plastic' etc to make it light. The action on mine is smooth, which was like this from the day I bought it new. It's as accurate as I can shoot it. The Sako feels better when held, but I still enjoy shooting the T3, and I'm considering another one in a different caliber.

Wouldn't swap my T3 22/250 for anything.

Had it about 15 years and love it to bits.

Gets abused terribly - That's what working guns do - but has never let me down and shoots as tight now as it ever did.

It is just about to get its yearly strip down and check.

simple answer is work your budget out and then find a gun shop with a selection and go along and have a look at a few, there may be members nearby with one you can try, what caliber are you after? stalking wise weight is more of a consideration compared to whether its something for foxes etc both have pretty good websites to look at the differences to get you started.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?lite

http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?hunterlamss

Landowner has a laminated stocked 75. A lovely rifle which has stood up well to everything he has thrown at it.I have a T3 Varmint model with the plastic stock.People associate plastic/synthetic with cheap;but pick one up and you'lI realise this isn't so.I chose this after shooting the 75,a mates T3 tactical and his 85 again with synthetic stock.

Both my rifles are workhorses and will get used and abused,hence the synthetic stock.The Sako is without doubt the better made rifle than the T3,but both are inherently more accurate than the average shooter is capable of,so it's horses for courses really,as others have said.If you're precious about your woodwork,then that is something to consider,but Sako's are also available with synthetics,so as Al4x has suggested,try as many different models and variations as you can.

The only little niggle I have regarding the T3 is the 'mould' lines apparent on the stock,but it's onlty a minor niggle as they are easily removed.Whether they're apparent on the synthetic Sako I don't know.

If you want to move up a step again from the sako get a Blaser or a Sauer - both are exceptional build quality and will be guaranteed accurate out of the box, have steel drop box mags and are about as pleasing to the eye as your going to get (opinion obviously) if you get the R8 professional it will be super hard wearing and if you buy the xt sauer it will be even more so as it is Ilaflon coated so will not rust/corrode.

Also both have the option to be taken down for travel or swap barrels although this is not a cheap option.

Sorry if this has added more confusion!

Sauer

Edited by Sauer020

and I thought I was pushing the price tag up :lol:

I don't think there's that big a jump between an Sako and Sauer/Blaser is there Alex? And the man did say he could buy whatever - if it was based on aesthetics alone you could push to merkel or heym - that's big money! But I'd be worried I damaged it as they are wooden stocks and blued actions usually.

Sauer.