Statins

seph234

Hello Just a quick one, I'm a type one Diabetic and had my usual blood test but my cholesterol came back higher so the doc has put me on statins. it was a bit of a shock as im only 33, but he insisted they will help me and help guard against stroke/heart attack. so i thought i would see if anyone else on here is taking them? any good/bad dealings?

Regards

Joe

Did he suggest you modify your diet before offering the statins? I was offered statins too, but I was reluctant to take them. Changed my diet, and my cholesterol improved.

I find it hard to believe that the world was on the verge of a heart attack Armageddon before statins were invented. I'm sure some people may need them, but at the end of the day, cholestorol is 90% related to what you eat (and I don't mean a high fat diet), and the other 10% genetic factors.

Started taking them when I was about your age (15 ish years ago) when I had type 1 Diabetes and had no real side effects at lower doses.Take them just b4 you go to bed so that you are asleep if any side effects do present themselves,only one I have noticed is aching muscles in the morning.As suggested previously though-a diet change would be wise but find out if your father has a high count as it could be hereditory.Good luck with the Diabetes-one thing I dont miss!!

diet change for me did,nt really work until i was told to cut down on sugars/carbs/fruit its the main cause of high cholesterol , your liver stores it easier and longer than fat and there for converts to cholesterol.plus i have a troubled liver function .

anyway thats what i was told by an hospital diet doc .

been on similar ( fenofibrates ) for a few years , unlike the aches of statins these seem ok

The entire high fat-cholesterol-heart disease theory was coined from a very old graph by a well known doctor called ansel keys , it showed a perfect graph with data from several countries which proved his hypothesis perfectly, nobody asked what happened to the data from the other fourteen countries that were missing from the graph which it now transpires he left out because they didn't fit his hypothesis .

I am afraid that anybody who looks into the flawed cherry picked data surrounding statins will find it difficult to not conclude that this is one of the biggest frauds ever known to mankind as this is the most profitable drug ever made and marketed , the video link above should be watched by anybody who has been prescribed or is taking statins and one of the authors in the film is a doctor Malcolm kendrick who's book "The Great cholesterol con" is also worth a read , I'm not expecting anybody here to take my word for it but please please check out the video and draw your own conclusions from the evidence given

Don't be like that. I want to know where you get the 90/10% info from that's all. Familial Hyperlipidemia is a subject close to my heart.

Why so defensive?

Your abrupt demand for a source doesn't help.

It's my own opinion - based on personal experience and chatting to people like Barry Groves (he was one of the people in the video above). I'm of the opinion that a high carb diet (particularly refined carbs) can contribute to high blood lipids. But it's not all cut and dried - there are genetic factors to consider too. I don't see vegetarians in South East Asia all dropping dead from heart disease. At the same time, even people on low-carb diets aren't always the healthiest people on the planet. It's a complex picture where diet, genetics, mental health, and to some extent lifestyle and your environment all take part. That is of course if you think blood lipids (cholestorol, including triglycerides) have any consequence of course.

My personal view (at the moment at least) is going 'Primal'. A bit trendy i'm afraid, but makes alot of sense to me. Check out a chap called Mark Sisson - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Regardless of what causes high chollesterol there isn't any substantial evidence that it is harmfull or leads to heart disease anyway , GP's love to quote the west coast of scotland study as proof but with a little investigation the statistics are all fudged anyway which makes having high chollesterol irrelevant , my friend was recently diagnosed with fatty liver disease and was quite distraught as his GP had told him he would be on statins for life and never allowed to drink alcohol or eat fatty foods again, 3 months later on with no statins or diet change he went and had another test and amazingly no trace of the fatty liver disease remained ! Another suspicious aspect is that there is no proof whatsoever that statins affect mortality rates in women ( which is why the west coast of of Scotland study was performed only on men) so ask yourself why GP's happily hand out millions of statin prescriptions annually to women? I'm sure the GP's are acting in what they believe to be the best interests of their patients but they receive zero training in nutrition and rely on extremley suspicious data provided by the people who make and market the drugs to make their decisions on rather than independent medical studies

Did he suggest you modify your diet before offering the statins? I was offered statins too, but I was reluctant to take them. Changed my diet, and my cholesterol improved.

I find it hard to believe that the world was on the verge of a heart attack Armageddon before statins were invented. I'm sure some people may need them, but at the end of the day, cholestorol is 90% related to what you eat (and I don't mean a high fat diet), and the other 10% genetic factors.

Hello he has also told me to change my diet. My dad's already on statins and my Grandad had to take early retirement because of heart problems so he has a pretty good reason.

I will take them until my next blood test (6 weeks away) and see what my cholesterol levels are like, i will change my diet and up the exercise and talk to the doctor about coming off them if i keep to a strict healthy lifestyle plan.

Started taking them when I was about your age (15 ish years ago) when I had type 1 Diabetes and had no real side effects at lower doses.Take them just b4 you go to bed so that you are asleep if any side effects do present themselves,only one I have noticed is aching muscles in the morning.As suggested previously though-a diet change would be wise but find out if your father has a high count as it could be hereditory.Good luck with the Diabetes-one thing I dont miss!!

thanks for the reply the Doctor also advised the same, im not sure if you have confused the diabetic types or im reading it wrong but you say you dont miss diabetes, how did you get round this?

Il have a watch of this later thanks for the link.

Statins work. They cut my cholesterol level by half.

I would be a complete fool if I decided I knew better and stopped taking them.

As type 1 diabetics are predisposed to heart disease everything that can be done to reduce the risk should be taken. Hence doctors prescribe them Statins.

Also remember that diabetics are diet conscious anyway.

I am suffering from chronic heart failure ( I hope you are all carrying donor cards :ninja: ) and I also have type 2 diabetes so I've been on statins for a while even though my Cholesterol has always been ok I've never had high blood pressure and the doctors have no idea what caused such severe damage to my heart but as part of my meds they said take statins so I do I may be lucky apart from the fact that my heart is Friar tucked I'm reasonably healthy ( but breathless) and I've had no side effects (except for spouting **** on websites!) :lol:

I had them and they made me really really ill after only two days. Bad bad head ache, really bad joint and muscle pain. I had never been in so much pain and feeling sick. Called the out of hrs doc and was told to stop taking immediately. Tried two different types.

Cholesterol is is my family. My uncle is a martial arts instructor, keeps fit, eats health, does not drink tea, coffee or alcohol. He has high cholesterol and blood pressure.

The question is though - what is 'healthy eating'. I'm of the opinion that it very much varies from person to person based on their genetics. That's why I think the 'Primal' way makes so much sense. It basically goes by the doctrine of eating how your ancestors did. My ancestors are a fair bit different than someone in China, or someone in Africa - so it really depends. Overall, for a European, I think it involves a diet devoid of processed carbohydrates and grains in general, native fruits and vegetables in season, and plenty of meat. When I say meat, I mean the whole animal, not just choice cuts. I think you need to be doing alot of nose to tail eating, so that means, offals, bones/marrow, skin, the lot (you can find this stuff if you know where to look).

Just my opinion of course - i would never presume to tell anyone to go against their doctors wishes, but I would suggest they make their own investigations and understand where the recommendations they have been given are coming from, and perhaps an experiment or two in diet and see if it makes any difference. You should not be afraid to ask questions of your GP. They may well be sympathetic to your questions, and possibly even agree with it, but have to tow the NHS party line with regards to treatment.

I personally went off wheat and went somewhat primal (not to the letter), and noticed a huge difference in my health. Triclycerides shot way down, cholestorol went down to something acceptable, allergic type symptoms pretty much gone, and lost two stone without even thinking about it.

Read up, investigate, enter into conversations with your GP, and choose something which you are comfortable and happy with. If that means statins - that's OK too if you feel happy with that.

started taking them a couple of months ago,the doc gave me simvastatin first but I had to stop taking them.aches and pains I also got very ratty[according to her indoors] :sad1:

so he put me on pravastatin and ive had no side effects. :good:

I read on line that simvastatin are the cheapest to give on prescription, that's why they try them first

alan

there is no question that statins reduce chollesterol because they do , the questionable part is high chollesterol leading to heart disease , statins reducing mortality rates , high fat diet leading to high chollesterol and the side effects many people suffer from taking them as it is all based on dodgy data financed and presented by the companies that make billions from them

Health care by spreadsheet! They might make a difference when you look at the population data on masse, but the individual isn’t likely to get that much benefit. Having said that if you don’t have any side effects then there is no reason why you shouldn’t take them – might as well take an aspirin and a glass of red wine at the same time! :lol:

One good thing about high cholesterol is that you won’t need to build up much of a pension. :rolleyes:

The truth is that it is massively complex, especially when you take into account genetics and the effects that bacteria or other microorganisms play in heart failure.

I suspect that if you maintain your ‘ideal’ weight, don’t overdue the booze or exercise and don’t gorge on the carbs. then you are probably doing all that you need, or can do.