FIREARMS PETITION

timmy1146

Please could everyone take a minute to sign this petition. It calls for the 1997 and 1988 gun control acts to be repealed.

As many of you will hopefully agree, this would be an amazing thing for all British shooters, to have pistols and modern sporting rifles put back in law abiding shooters hands, and, both acts were kneejerk reactions to tragedies that could have been prevented if the police had done their jobs and taken the guns away from the psycho criminals. And we all know these draconian laws have done nothing to prevent firearm crime, it has only damaged the UK shooting industry and shooting sport (even the olympic teams are affected).

This petition needs 100,000 signatures to get into the commons which needs a massive push from everyone, so please spread this around anyway you can. Get everyone in the house to sign it, friends, family, gun clubs, other forums, anyway possible. only takes name and address and is on the .gov website so your details are safe.

Thanks guys

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44376

Oh yes with recent threads started such as:-

Legal Aid to be cut for firearm cases...

What they don't want you to know...

Dutch Government want to severly restrict game shooting...

Good song against gun control...

it has all the hall marks of another concealed carry and PSG fan

I see what you're getting at! :good:

Signed, but unless all shooters from the UK unite then i'm afraid there isn't a snowballs chance in hell.

It tells you something about the state of the country when the petition that is most active is "Ban the sale of puppies and kittens without the mothers being present"

Signed, but unless all shooters from the UK unite then i'm afraid there isn't a snowballs chance in hell.

It tells you something about the state of the country when the petition that is most active is "Ban the sale of puppies and kittens without the mothers being present"

In itself not a bad idea.....

We are lost... It's going to (&:!:£

:-).

Could have been better put IMHO - BASC has 130,000 members and if it chose to it could produce an e-petition with clout.

It chooses not to. Is it better to be on the front foot or the back foot when it comes to such issues ? I would suggest the chances of changing the law as proposed is not a 'vote winner' and would be consigned to the 'long grass'. Perhaps better to keep publicising the crime stats for related gun crime and let that speak for itself for a few years then ask, in somewhat less emotive terms, for a reconsideration/review of the effectiveness of the ban linked to criminal use of guns since its introduction.

A more helpful petition for wildlife generally would be to restrict/ban the ownership of domestic cats to urban areas - how many cat owners are voters ---- and so it goes.

perhaps most just don't agree that it has a chance in hell of going anywhere or that the status quo needs changing. In the eyes of the public it would be political suicide for any party to go anywhere with this suggestion. If you have a genuine need for a handgun you can get one the rest is just playing with guns as we all cope with non auto centerfires for vermin control.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that such petitions only serve to depict ordinary sporting and target shooters as gun nuts. To link both semi auto c/f rifles and handguns in the same petition only reinforces this image.

I have no objection to and would support a properly orchestrated campaign for a change in the law to allow handguns for target shooting, thus enabling target shooters to practice and compete nationally and once again represent their country without the need to practice abroad. However, by lumping this this in with semi auto rifles is not the way forward.

I will not be putting my name to such a petition.

Oh yes with recent threads started such as:-

Legal Aid to be cut for firearm cases...

What they don't want you to know...

Dutch Government want to severly restrict game shooting...

Good song against gun control...

it has all the hall marks of another concealed carry and PSG fan

Do you keep a spreadsheet or is there a way of marking certain posts/members? :lol::lol:

Do you keep a spreadsheet or is there a way of marking certain posts/members? :lol::lol:

At times you feel like you need to even if just to know who has been banned, what their latest reincarnated user name is and then who the definite odd ones are like this one :lol:

This is the problem with the shooting comunity is we never unite thats why we never get results! The tree huggers and bunny lovers unite and shout from the roof tops and that means that they are heard and the goverment takes note. I have signed this and shared it on my LinkedIn professional profile and my companies facebook page.

Give this enough support you may be surprised what could happen, but have a negative atitude from the start and it has failed before it began. it's up to us.

Edited by straightshooter1

perhaps most just don't agree that it has a chance in hell of going anywhere or that the status quo needs changing. In the eyes of the public it would be political suicide for any party to go anywhere with this suggestion. If you have a genuine need for a handgun you can get one the rest is just playing with guns as we all cope with non auto centerfires for vermin control.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that such petitions only serve to depict ordinary sporting and target shooters as gun nuts. To link both semi auto c/f rifles and handguns in the same petition only reinforces this image.

I have no objection to and would support a properly orchestrated campaign for a change in the law to allow handguns for target shooting, thus enabling target shooters to practice and compete nationally and once again represent their country without the need to practice abroad. However, by lumping this this in with semi auto rifles is not the way forward.

I will not be putting my name to such a petition.

I agree completely and think as a shooting community we should be campaigning for a change in the law to ban semi auto/ pump action shotguns completely and .22 rifles. A double or single barrel and boolt action rifles is all that is needed.

We also need to look at anyone who does anything other than small bore or full bore target rifle, all those crazies involved in practical shotgun, black powder pistol, gallery rifle and LBR LBP shooting events have no 'need' for a gun.

Also I think we should like at people who use guns to kill animals they are obviously also crazy, we could control vermin populations much more efficiently using bait treated with birth control drugs. Ad lets not get started on so called shooting for sport.

I course we then run the risk that it is real;ised small bore and target rifle shooters are only 'playing' with guns and we loose those as well but we all must agree it is worth the risk

Be as sarcastic as you like but realistically, if we wish to see a change in the law, we have to take a pragmatic and achievable view. To demand a change in the law as outlined in this petition, in todays political climate, is not achievable. One's aims must be defensible and achievable.

You only have to look at our politicians actions towards pistol shooting during the Olympics to see what an uphill struggle this will be. There is no glory in biting off more than one can chew.

Be as sarcastic as you like but realistically, if we wish to see a change in the law, we have to take a pragmatic and achievable view. To demand a change in the law as outlined in this petition, in todays political climate, is not achievable. One's aims must be defensible and achievable.

You only have to look at our politicians actions towards pistol shooting during the Olympics to see what an uphill struggle this will be. There is no glory in biting off more than one can chew.

I agree with you completely just ****** me off when I see pistol shooters or semi auto owners being belittled. We are all only 'playing' with guns. Also the nonsense about 'need'