Dambusters

Beardo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfather's best friend was instructing a student pilot doing circuits, he was in a canvas sling, legs under the instruments going into the bomb aimer's bubble! The student was in so much of a panic that nobody in the aircraft noticed the gear was up, basically he was cut in half. Died on the runway.

His best friend killed like that, men of steel indeed!

Gibson was a real hero. Recommend Bomber Command by Max Hastings as the seminal work on the subject. All his books are excellent to be honest.

The losses on some raids were horrific and the bravery of the crews who did the job largely unsung until recently.

The photos remind me of RAF crews buried in a small grave yard here. I wonder do relatives know that they are buried here and do any visit the graves or are the forgotten. They are Remembered by the local people on remembrance day.

War Graves

All Saints, Eglantine is situated close to the Second World War airbase RAF Long Kesh (The site is now covered by the closed HMP Maze)

During the course of the war twenty-one aircrew from Great Britain and the Empire were killed and are buried in Eglantine Grave Yard. One of the crew that is buried in the grave yard bellow.

EAGLEN, REGINALD DOUGLAS

Rank:SergeantTrade:W.Op./Air Gnr.Service No:1027840Date of Death:23/07/1943Age:21Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer ReserveGrave ReferenceSec. E. Grave 38.CemeteryEGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Thomas Henry and Carrie Isabele Eaglen, of York.

Edited by ordnance

ordnance-that's an odd one-I cannot find any details of any crash where anybody called Eaglen died-I have searched my records for Bomber and Training command. :sad1:

Can't get the link to work try google this it gives the names of the dead. War Graves and Memorials - Eglantine

www.eglantine.org/wargraves/wargraves.htm‎

All Saints, Eglantine is situated close to the Second World War airbase RAF Long Kesh (The site ... from Great Britain and the Empire were killed and are buried in Eglantine Grave Yard. ... First and Second World War Memorials inside Church

Name Rank Service Number Date of Death Age Regiment / Service Service Country Grave /

Memorial Reference

Cemetery / Memorial Name ASHARD, REGINALD EDWARD Aircraftman 1st Class 1409954 19/07/1945 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 31A. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY ASPINALL, MAURICE JOHN WILLIAM Flying Officer J/14046 23/07/1943 22 Royal Canadian Air Force Canadian Sec. E. Grave 37. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY ASTON, OLIVER Sergeant 1880856 19/03/1945 19 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 31. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY BRAMWELL, JACK Sergeant 1458644 14/03/1944 21 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 33. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY CHABARA, ALEXANDER JAMES Flight Sergeant R/131724 16/09/1943 25 Royal Canadian Air Force Canadian Sec. E. Grave 35. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY CONNELL, FRANCIS ALOYSIUS Flying Officer 421168 29/11/1943 22 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Sec. E. Grave 40A. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY EAGLEN, REGINALD DOUGLAS Sergeant 1027840 23/07/1943 21 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 38. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY EDGE, RONALD JAMES Sergeant 1895861 19/03/1945 23 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 28. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY FENN, BERTIE Warrant Officer 357151 27/05/1946 49 Royal Air Force United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 30. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY GALVIN, ALWYNE JAMES Flying Officer 417044 14/03/1944 23 Royal New Zealand Air Force New Zealand Sec. E. Grave 40. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY GIBBISON, ANDREW GREENWELL Flight Sergeant 424976 18/11/1943 22 Royal New Zealand Air Force New Zealand Sec. E. Grave 36. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY HOLMES, WILLIAM IVAN Flying Officer 416205 19/03/1945 23 Royal New Zealand Air Force New Zealand Sec. E. Grave 24. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY HOOK, ROLINSON SIDNEY PALLISER Sergeant 1603654 19/03/1945 22 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Sec. E. Grave 32. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY KEANE, JOHN RUSSELL Flying Officer 409839 29/11/1943 26 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Sec. E. Grave 39. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY MULLINS, WILLIAM MURRAY Flight Sergeant 418542 29/11/1943 29 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Sec. E. Grave 34A. EGLANTINE CHURCH OF IRELAND CEMETERY
Edited by ordnance

These were ordinary people doing extraordinary things. It is remarkable how aircrew endured continued ops knowing the odds against their chances of completing a tour. Of course, some didn't and suffered complete breakdown - the shame of it is that instead of help they were labeled as having a Lack of Moral Fibre ie cowardice.

The arguement about whether an action was effective or valuable, whether it was the dams raid, the evacuation of Crete or the Charge of the Light Brigade, is irrelevant to the bravery of those who took part. Leave that to the military historians.

Nick

Have any of you seen a real dam busting fimed in Canada about three years ago? It was done near yellowknife NWT. They used a DC 4. There were assorted experts from England advising. The pilots and plane involved are also on a reality show about flying in Canada's Arctic called Buffalo Air. Excellent documentary and they did break the dam on the third pass.

Back on More 4 on Friday night, 9pm I think.

Have any of you seen a real dam busting fimed in Canada about three years ago? It was done near yellowknife NWT. They used a DC 4. There were assorted experts from England advising. The pilots and plane involved are also on a reality show about flying in Canada's Arctic called Buffalo Air. Excellent documentary and they did break the dam on the third pass.

Looks like Aspinell died on the same day as Eaglen-but I cannot find records for either of them-may have been Coastal Command?

I think most of the bases in NI were used for N Atlantic patrolling, I presume that would have been Coastal Command?

Nial

Some fantastic pics of some fantastic men ! i was working on RAF Scampton yesterday on the Red arrows dye stores next to one of the old hangers from the 1940s where the Red arrows now keep there jets. Sadly i missed the arrival of the Lancaster which was going into the Red arrows hanger as there in Cyprus at the moment.

Lump in the throat time!!

Had the Dambuster's theme with the 4 merlin accompanyment and the Air Chief Marshal's speech on at full blast through the Bose surround with the patio doors wide open, so the whole estate could here what was done this night, 70 years ago.

BBC Radio Lincoln will be running a real time comentary of events through the night, tonight.

Just watching the BBC tribute from RAF Scampton on BBC2

Edited by Penelope

A chap I worked with for several years casually let drop one day that his brother was doing a tour as the Lanc pilot for the BBMF. His day job was flying AWACS.

I asked if there was any chance........ he said hadn't even sat in it never mind flown in it.

Can only agree with all that has been said. Unbelievably brave chaps.

This might help. At the end of 1942, came a further role for both airfields when they were taken over by RAF Coastal Command's No 17 Group for use by No 5 © Operational Training Unit. Its function was to teach pilots and crews the techniques of maritime operations, initially using Beaufort aircraft based at Long Kesh and Hampdens based at Maghaberry. The Unit stopped using Maghaberry in August 1943 and Long Kesh in February 1944, by which time, in fact from October 1943, the Beauforts had been largely replaced by Hudson, Ventura and Oxford aircraft. This was a welcome development inasmuch as the Beaufort's flying characteristics posed considerable problems for inexperienced pilots and 56 of the aircraft were involved in serious incidents flying from Long Kesh during 1943. On 23 July, for instance, Beaufort JM45 I '18' flew into high ground to the west of Swatragh, County Londonderry, killing the three crew on board, all of whom were subsequently buried in Eglantine Church of Ireland cemetery. This particular aircraft is depicted in a Memorial Window in All Saints Parish Church, Eglantine, presented by members and friends of the Royal Observer Corps and dedicated `To the Glory of God and in memory of airmen of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Air Forces 193946 buried in the adjoining graveyard' Official aerial photograph of Long Kesh airfield, 28 July 1942. Halftown Road is to the right of the airfield.

Edited by ordnance