Shot sizes for Orkney

gunner269

Hi , three of us are planning a booked trip to Orkney for later on this year. We were wondering what size of shot we should take with us, we will be shooting both Goose and duck. We normally use size 1 but a friend of my son has recommended BB for the Geese. We don't want to travel all that way with the wrong shot sizes. Any help from someone with experience of shooting up there would be very welcome.

We are goose shooting on the foreshore and Duck flighting on marshes and splashes, so they'll all have to be steel. We'll probably stick to the 1s as they're what we're used to using. Thanks -Paul.

They would be steel anyway because nobody makes or sells lead in those sort of cartridges any more.

Number 1 or bb in steel are fine for geese buddy, use what you have confidence in and at sensible ranges and all will be good, for ducks i would drop down to a 3 in steel especially over the splashes as the shooting is likely to be closer range.

They would be steel anyway because nobody makes or sells lead in those sort of cartridges any more.

Most manufacturers load and retail some big lead loads, my favourite fox cartridge is 50g 1's in lead

I take it from the wording in your post Fal that you are coming up with gunner ? don't forget you need permission from the land owner to shoot the forshore the law is different in Orkney & Shetland so don't get caught out ! .

I have not as yet heard of any change in the law as to using lead inland but on the foreshore & reed beds ect its nontoxic which leave me with a problem as my guns are old guns & damascus barreled guns & my supply of Tunstung Matrix or what ever you call it is running low & I have been told its no longer available ???.

Please don't act like some of the GOONS that have been coming up here the last few years ! & please keep ranges sensible & take your meat home . :)

Good luck . :)

ps keep your range at sensible levels & the shot size is no different to any where else .

Edited by Pole Star

Whatever you do Gunner, don't tell him you're Italian!

I could not care less if he was one of the Taliban Beardo ! just so as he is a decent gooser ! :lol::lol:

shoosh ! its all coming soon no wot I mean ? sit tight sit back & enjoy & get your sel a glass of scotch coz we hope its gonna be good !!! :whistling:

I take it from the wording in your post Fal that you are coming up with gunner ? don't forget you need permission from the land owner to shoot the forshore the law is different in Orkney & Shetland so don't get caught out ! .

I have not as yet heard of any change in the law as to using lead inland but on the foreshore & reed beds ect its nontoxic which leave me with a problem as my guns are old guns & damascus barreled guns & my supply of Tunstung Matrix or what ever you call it is running low & I have been told its no longer available ???.

Please don't act like some of the GOONS that have been coming up here the last few years ! & please keep ranges sensible & take your meat home . :)

Good luck . :)

ps keep your range at sensible levels & the shot size is no different to any where else .

Hi Pole Star, no I'm not part of Gunners plans unfortunately! lol Although I am very jealous of his trip! :)

But I agree with your statement about some people being being goons, I was up in Montrose last December the shots I saw some people taking were 80-90 yards sometimes. Way, way out of range it took me until the last day to get a shot as everything was out of my range until that day. I understand that people travel a long way to try and get a Goose, we travelled from South Wales, but I was happy to go home empty handed rather that try my luck and out of range Geese.

But good luck Gunner, whatever cartridge you use, as long as your ranges are sensible you'll be fine. Everybody that says steel is rubbish is either shooting at birds 20 yards out of range in my opinion from what I have seen or are using shot size that is way too small.

ATB,

Rhodri

Edited by Fal

Hi Pole Star, no I'm not part of Gunners plans unfortunately! lol Although I am very jealous of his trip! :)

But I agree with your statement about some people being being goons, I was up in Montrose last December the shots I saw some people taking were 80-90 yards sometimes. Way, way out of range it took me until the last day to get a shot as everything was out of my range until that day. I understand that people travel a long way to try and get a Goose, we travelled from South Wales, but I was happy to go home empty handed rather that try my luck and out of range Geese.

But good luck Gunner, whatever cartridge you use, as long as your ranges are sensible you'll be fine. Everybody that says steel is rubbish is either shooting at birds 20 yards out of range in my opinion from what I have seen or are using shot size that is way too small.

ATB,

Rhodri

I have never shot Montrose Fal but some proper gooser's I know who come here & do Montrose on the way home have told me all about them ! always the same every year geese way out of range & then 3 shots from a gas op that are so fast there is no possible way they are aimed shots ! all I can say is they are just hoping some will connect ! & some just might but how many geese are pricked ??? . Have these goons no respect for their quarry ??? I have seen the same goons when I have been on the Solway in the past & sadly some are coming here now .

Geese are not hard birds to kill just keep ranges sensible for the gun & load & you will get your meat in the bag & an old friend who shot the Wexford Slobs in the good old days said to me once " A goose is not a hard bird to kill & I have shot plenty with a number 7 shot " & that old man shot in the good old days in Ireland in late 40s&50s . Geese are not big game of the Sky & I have had plenty with my little 20g hammer gun I have had since I was 16 & why ? because I know it wont kill em in the upper atmosphere so I don't even try !!! even if it means I have to go home empty handed .

Any way next season is still a long way off . Lets hope its a good one Fal .

Regards Pole Star

ps I plan to have a go with my DB Flintlock 20g made by Scudamore ( 1835 ) of Birmingham in the coming season & will post how I get on .

Edited by Pole Star