Few Stalking Pics.

sako751sg

Working in Inverness the noo so coming home every second weekend so made the most of this one.

Stayed up all night on Friday and Saturday daybreak showed a fine clear sky with just a wee breeze so kicked Mac oot the pit at 0315,packed the dugs and gear and held oot.Expected to see some new bucks but for the first hour it was all does,some calved,and a few young bucks that were nay suitable for stalking into but then spotted two that were.Only about 200 to get a shot and easy stalk out of sight but when we got into position a wee look showed they had dissapeared,and stayed that way.

Next place we spotted what looked like an old buck with a strange looking heed so started walking into him from around 500 yards away.Took it very slowly to start but he went oot of sight so picked a spot we could hurry into and made good time incase he speeded up.Nay probs getting there apart from a wee bit noisy going through the longish silage grass but when we made the spot there was no sign of him.There was a wee rise that hid a bit of dead ground only 20ish in front of us so a really slow canny approach to the top was called for and right enough,there he was in the dip and only 20ish yards away from us.Wind was spot on,so we waited until he grazed on a bit and put more space between us before setting up the sticks and getting the gat set up.Looking closely at him i could see he was very old with a head going well back so i thought a head shot would be fine if he carried on heading away and not standing broadside.After a couple of minutes i gave a bark,and with the head perfect i squeezed and the result was the buck doon on the spot.Didnt bother waiting and on walking up to him realised the headshot was a bad option as he had a very heavy and unique head which full skulled would have been around 700g and is 550g now with minimal skull.His teeth were the most worn i have ever seen and the skull and one of the pedicles is almost Balliesque with abnormal thickening.Perfect time for culling but a very bad call on the shot placement.

After a few other stops we held back to where the failed stalk had taken place and we spotted a young buck that we have tried to get a few times but wind was always wrong.He only has single beams and no extra points,still in velvet and ready for the pill.Wind this time was good,and the only sticky point was having to lift the dugs over two fences but after a stalk of 200ish we were in a great position to ambush him,as i knew he would walk towards us looking for an exit place through the fence instead of jumping it.This meant we were within 80 of him and a whistle stopped him,and the pill finished him.Another perfect cull beast and fine to get a couple as way behind compared to most years.The grass and crops are well on noo and soon most places will be unshootable till cutting time.

006_zps19b97a0b.jpg007-1_zpscd3f60af.jpg009-1_zps68382f3b.jpg010_zps1e87b863.jpg012_zps6208615c.jpg013_zpsc03ef48e.jpg014_zps09d8e5c9.jpg015-1_zps2518b90d.jpg016_zpse46ed42d.jpg002-2_zps5024c501.jpg002-2_zps5024c501.jpg004-2_zps1b59ffec.jpg003_zps5e4a2efa.jpg007-1_zpsc75073f4.jpg008_zps06aa3636.jpg009-1_zpscbeb54a0.jpg

Brilliant pics Dave as ever. Stalking in T-shirt makes a nice change eh?

Cheers fella.Nay often its warm enough for a t shirt at 4am and hopefully it lasts.

Would have been good to see what he was like a few years ago.

Sure would.Must have been a shy fella nay to have seen him before.

great pictures well done

Ta fella.

i bet he was a big boy in his hay day.. still make a nice head will all that perling well shot dave

Cheers Andy.Could have been a cracking heed in prime but will never know.Still gutted i took the heed shot though.

Excellent Dave!!You got some fine land up with you!

Cracking pics as always!Well done you and Mac.

Cheers Mark.

Good do Dave - nice heid :good:

Cheers Tam.

Top darts gaj as usual great read,with pics to boot! What was the wet weight of the heed?

He was 560ish wet and wont lose much with the lack of skull Alan.Away from hame the noo so havent weighed him since.

Good story and photos, well done, thanks for sharing them. :good:

What are the sticks you use ?, they look very good.

Cheers fella.Tams nailed the sticks.Great bit of kit and very handy.

I do believe Dave uses these - http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=316957&ClassID=46

Primos Trigger Stick Tall Tripod

Cheers Tam.

As always mate top stuff

Cheers Alex.