Argos poor service yes or no?

gemini52

The fridge freezer has packed up today,so we had a look in argos,seen a fridge freezer we liked so goes up the till to pay went through all the tosh about extended warranties,i asked how long the delivery would be,next monday she said then 48 hours to settle before you can use it,thats a week wednesday with out a fridge,if thats the best you can do forget it,going to currys they do a next day delivery for a tenner,no wonder the countrys gone to the dogs when your expected to put up with service like that. :no:

Edited by gemini52

i use argos for a few things, the best one was a new vacuum cleaner that i got home and unpacked and the cylinder was full already of dust, pet hair etc, i took it back and said i wanted a new one not secondhand and i was looked at like i'd used it then brought it back.

I have had exactly the opposite experience than all of you. I might have been lucky..... four times!

In the last year i have bough an American fridge freezer, an under counter larder fridge, an under counter freezer and a novelty toaster (extra thick toasties etc). All the stuff arrived when they said it would (2-3 days after ordering) and in the case of two problems I had (1the chest freezer was 3cm wider than advertised, but this was the manufacturer giving the retailer the wrong information and 2 the undercounter larder fridge was indeed used/scratched) they replaced within 24 hours and I received £20 for each of the cock ups. The funniest thing is I did not even pay for these items. I got them using my Nectar points.

P.S: Neither I or anyone I know work for Argos! :good:

i used to use them, but i search things and they always seem expensive on things now

and as for a fridge

i had this in one store ages ago(can`t remember what one)

if you fridge goes wrong you want one the same day so you don`t loose to much food

Edited by bazzashadow

I've never had a problem with them either. Just keep in mind that they do not have the best prices, and they sell a lot of tat - but if you go in with your eyes wide open, they can be very convenient. Ring and reserve is great. Return policy is excellent too.

The fridge freezer has packed up today,so we had a look in argos,seen a fridge freezer we liked so goes up the till to pay went through all the tosh about extended warranties,i asked how long the delivery would be,next monday she said then 48 hours to settle before you can use it,thats a week wednesday with out a fridge,if thats the best you can do forget it,going to currys they do a next day delivery for a tenner,no wonder the countrys gone to the dogs when your expected to put up with service like that. :no:

It does state on their site and in their catalogue though that it will be 5 days delivery. You can't complain it's poor service when they state the delivery times openly and you failed to notice it.

In order to keep costs down, many big firms do not keep much stock and it gets delivered straight from their warehouse. Alternatively it will get delivered from an Argos warehouse when the van is next in your area.

As consumers we want the best price and good service. The second comes at a cost, you cannot have both. That's why Euronics stores are so good.

Argos are a simple business model, look, choose and collect.

I do not work for Argos, never have but I work and have worked for companies that supply them.

Come up with a name of any Retailer in the country and you will hear pros and cons about them from past customers.

I have had good service from Argos in the past, especially the helpful people that do their home deliveries.

However, I admit we tend to be lucky, one of my daughters is still using the double wardrobe we bought as a flat pack from MFI 40 years ago.

went in when the spring catalouge came out ,and wanted 4 different things .all out of stock!

It's those sneaky suppliers.. :whistling: Some suppliers will do anything to ensure that their new products are listed, evenif they are going to be late so will propose them, Argos will include them and the delivery date will "slip". This is not the fault of Argos. The supplier may be fined but the sheer sales volume will cover this.

If it's a killer product, it may be included with a note in the catalogue saying "available from".

I am actually in Argos HQ for a meeting today and what is interesting is looking at the old catalogue covers through the decades, it's like looking at social history.

To be honest I found them better than most companies, the stock records online have always been correct for when i go collect items and there reserve thing is useful. Also found they normally take stuff back with no quibbles or questions just normally replace or refund you straight away. As for delivery times Currys only do electrical stuff so can afford to stock it whereas for Argos it would only be a small part of their range and they cant stock everything in their catalog as by time it eventually sells it will be replaced by the newer model.

went in when the spring catalouge came out ,and wanted 4 different things .all out of stock!

Next time go online - you can check stock at any store, and reserve the item for 48 hours so you know it is waiting for you when you get there.

I am actually in Argos HQ for a meeting today and what is interesting is looking at the old catalogue covers through the decades, it's like looking at social history.

If anyone has any old ones (more than 15-20 years old) stick them on eBay. People collect the things :|

I personally think that Argos are one of the better big name stores, not everything is always in stock but then think about it logically with their huge itinerary that'd be almost impossible. Their prices aren't the cheapest but not rip off either and you usually have an alternative choice. They allow you to easily reserve items on line and rarely give trouble when taking items back with issues like quality etc. I took an electric kettle back recently that after only one year had started to leak from the handle joint, of course they tried to site the 1 year warranty but I countered with fit for purpose :yes:;) and got half it's cost refunded towards a replacement.