Must visit venues.

Terry P

Not sure why you want to shoot the wash. Its the pits. You sit in 2ft deep mud, unable to move your feet. You fall backwards and forwards to keep free and have mud everywhere. You wait and wait until all the tea you have consumed has you dancing on the spot and busting at the seams. The minute you finally liberate the thing that's shrunk because of the minus ten degrees the birds you have been waiting for whistle by you ....you swear to yourself never to drink again and start the wait again...wow geese...you get deeper in the creek and your feel a cold trickle down to you socks...yes the water has got in....as for the geese, they went over someone on the sea wall even though you did all the calling. You wait for the mallard until 10am and they come over you 200 yards up. You get home and she asks why you haven't got anything again.....you sure you want to shoot she wash...I'm having 'if only ' inscribed on my headstone.

Well if you put it like that i best ring Tony and cancelled my membership :lol:

Roll on September 1st!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if my typing is pretty poor but I have playing with then doctors and nurses for the past month after aserious illness and can only just start to type again. When you are young its nice to visit new marshes , but as I have got older its great to return to the ones that you have not shot for a long time.4 seasons ago I joined a Broadland club and was able to shoot some marshes I last shot as a novice fowler some 45 years ago. If was magic to stand on the banks of the same river I last shot when I was just 14. Lisen to the same predawn sounds of calling water rails and owls and as the light crept over the river find the duck were uising the same flightlines as they used to. One day I must try and get back to the east side of the Wash where I realy learned my trade. I used to shoot it in the 1970s and 80s and had brilliant duck and goose shooting there . A return to the Solway would be great too. But first I have to start to get fit enough to see the marsh again on the opening day of the season.

Edited by anser2

Sorry if my typing is pretty poor but I have playing with then doctors and nurses for the past month after aserious illness and can only just start to type again. When you are young its nice to visit new marshes , but as I have got older its great to return to the ones that you have not shot for a long time.4 seasons ago I joined a Broadland club and was able to shoot some marshes I last shot as a novice fowler some 45 years ago. If was magic to stand on the banks of the same river I last shot when I was just 14. Lisen to the same predawn sounds of calling water rails and owls and as the light crept over the river find the duck were uising the same flightlines as they used to. One day I must try and get back to the east side of the Wash where I realy learned my trade. I used to shoot it in the 1970s and 80s and had brilliant duck and goose shooting there . A return to the Solway would be great too. But first I have to start to get fit enough to see the marsh again on the opening day of the season.

get well and good luck.craig

I managed to get a permit for the Montrose last season and your right in that to see 40 odd thousand geese is a must see experience in its own right, but as for easy to bag a goose, well I was there for the middle of October and those geese were well aware of what was going on by then, they had been hammered already. I was fortunate to get talking to a local fowler and after a bit of quidence bagged a couple of pinks. I know the rules are there for a reason but being told when to get on and off, must meet in car park etc kind of take away what wildfowling is all about for me. What really bothered me though was the fowlers that turn up late, wonder around then sit about 200m right in front of you.

So the best memories I have of there are a little tainted by thoughtless fellow fowlers but still a truly awesome experience.

Hi fowlers who turn up late should know the rules of sit at the back. I would have approached them & told them to move behinde & reported them to warden. i liked the on-off times etc as the wildfowl got a break from the shooting etc as they never got a break 6 days a week .

Hi fowlers who turn up late should know the rules of sit at the back. I would have approached them & told them to move behinde & reported them to warden. i liked the on-off times etc as the wildfowl got a break from the shooting etc as they never got a break 6 days a week .

Some lads from from Dorset were up here last season & got out early while it was still dark only to notice a while later that some guns had set up in the farm behind them & when the geese came of the loch & the Dorset lads started to get a shot when one of the late comers had the cheek to walk over to the Dorset lads & start ranting & raving that the Doset lads were cutting them off & did not have permission to be there ! .

The ignorant late comers were told in no uncertain words that the farm the Dorset lads were shooting on was a different farm from the one the ignorant late comers were on ! wish I had been there to see their faces :lol::lol::lol: .

Edited by Pole Star

I did not want to ruin the flight anymore by moving to tell them, I did approach them in the carpark after, he tried to claim he had not seen me, I voiced my opinion and he eventually apologised.

As I said I fully understand why the rules were put in place but it just takes that freedom feeling away for me, lying on my bloody back for 2 hours might have something to do with it as well lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi pole star, me and my old man are coming up to fraserburgh in the second week of October and have booked 4 days on a farm outside the loch of strathbeg, my only question is, will there many pinks there that early in the month ? ATB Kyle

I'm not in that location mate I'm up in Orkney & most of what we get are Greylags but I am sure you will be onto some down there , I will ask about & let you know or maybe some one will pick up on this now . ATB Pole Star

I`d love to go to Wisconsin after looking at photos of 3 friends "Duck hunting" trip there around 5 years ago....Not exactly "Wildfowling" as we know it but flipping heck.....what an experience they had!!!. :good:

A complete change to my local inland washes I shoot so that`ll be my first choice.

Agree about America yoggy and Canada looking incredible also. As you say not what we are used to but just to see the numbers of fowl they get would be worth the trip alone, my only reservation would be not eating what i'd shot, it would feel almost like killing for the sake of it, something I will need to come to terms with or find away round as its something I feel very strongly about.

Great when you get up Terry give me a call & will sort a go for you , dont know if your a fisherman but September can be a good time on the trout & see fishing is good too . As for the history bit well your wife will love the place so that will keep her out of your hair while you are having a shot .

ATB Pole Star

ps I lived in Co Wexford for 10 or 12 years before moving to Orkney lots of wildfowl on the Slops but its mostly under the control now by the Office of Public Works & shooting there is pretty much over , you might have better luck in the North .

A very kind offer sir and an offer I will certainly take you up on, I'm a very keen lure angler so perhaps 2 sessions will be called for, will the midges have left by September as Claire has a terrible reaction to getting bitten.

A very kind offer sir and an offer I will certainly take you up on, I'm a very keen lure angler so perhaps 2 sessions will be called for, will the midges have left by September as Claire has a terrible reaction to getting bitten.

Migdies not too much of a problem here Terry they are much worse on the mainland , pm me & let me know what you are up to . :)

Agree about America yoggy and Canada looking incredible also. As you say not what we are used to but just to see the numbers of fowl they get would be worth the trip alone, my only reservation would be not eating what i'd shot, it would feel almost like killing for the sake of it, something I will need to come to terms with or find away round as its something I feel very strongly about.

Completely agree with you Terry. Which is why I no longer shoot Geese. A Goose is just to big for myself and the wife. I`m more than happy shooting Duck. My friends who went to Wisconsin did actually eat some of the Duck they shot. The remainder was shared out between the guide and other parties. As you say, its the numbers of waterfowl that blew me away!. Absolutely amazing. From my understanding "Ducks Unlimited" do a fantastic job regarding conservation and other "Waterfowl" matters. More than likely they have bags of cash compared to our BASC which obviously helps but you still have to take your hat off to them.

I've shot in the States a few times but have never seen anything like I see in the magazines or on the DVDs. I did once see a humongous vortex of Snow Geese in New Jersey but never had the chance to get under them.

That said each time I've been I've had a brilliant time. I think what did it for me apart from the chance of different quarry species was the shear magnitude of the areas we hunted over. Even as a visitor reliant on friends and colleagues it gave me an immense sense of freedom.

Our Clubs etc piddle about buying 10 acres here and another few acres there whilst in America some states have public hunting areas the size of some of our counties. OK so a bird isn't jumping out from every bit of scrub/water like in the Youtube clips but it really does it for me

Edited by Reabrook

I've always wanted to shoot at the marsh at Ongar hill, i've lived within a couple of miles for most of my life and have watched the geese pass over my house heading out that way for many years.

I shoot at ongar hill love going down there, I'm not the most experienced (or successful) but its a great spot IMO