Airgunning with a dog?

chrisjpainter

Does anyone take their dog out with them when shooting with an airgun? We have a flatcoated retriever, who is dumber than a bag of hammers (he once bit his own tail because he thought it was our Labrador's tail and is 2 and half, but still gets scared of the floor), but extremely willing and very eager to please. If anybody has got any advice or books that'd be worth looking at, that'd be great.

I have taken both my cocker and my terrier out rabbit shooting...neither was massively successful as I don't think stalking and have a dog with you work well together. Both dogs on each occasion caught a rabbit themselves each (but the terrier caught one was not really edible and the cocker brought his back to me alive so I had to neck it lol!) but I didn't get to shoot any lol!

I take my cocker out when i shoot with both airgun and now shotgun, and she walks to heel all the way, picks up well and is generally completely focused all the while we are out. She is a liver cocker and quite small so stalking isn't really a problem, although I'm sure her panting is audible to rabbits, and she certainly finds shot rabbits that I would have given up on. All in all she probably spooks about as many rabbits as I gain from her being with me, but there is something pretty special about working with a dog, we both know our roles and mostly get on with it without too many commands.

For it to work you really need to be able to get on with your shooting without worrying where your dog is or what it's doing, in other words trust your dog.

I take my cocker out when i shoot with both airgun and now shotgun, and she walks to heel all the way, picks up well and is generally completely focused all the while we are out. She is a liver cocker and quite small so stalking isn't really a problem, although I'm sure her panting is audible to rabbits, and she certainly finds shot rabbits that I would have given up on. All in all she probably spooks about as many rabbits as I gain from her being with me, but there is something pretty special about working with a dog, we both know our roles and mostly get on with it without too many commands.

For it to work you really need to be able to get on with your shooting without worrying where your dog is or what it's doing, in other words trust your dog.

I hope to reach that point with my cocker but he is only 18months and still a little easily distracted to be confident with him walking to heel whilst I am shooting.

I hope to reach that point with my cocker but he is only 18months and still a little easily distracted to be confident with him walking to heel whilst I am shooting.

Mine is now 3 and it's only really the last 6 months that I can assume she is next (or very slightly in front!) of me. Cockers natural instinct is to hunt in front so it has taken a while, and she still does occasionally run in before being told but I forgive her.

Done it a few times but its not really much of an advantage because you don't need game/vermin to be flushed and with an Airgun you tend to hit and kill or miss cleanly and the target legs it. If you had a good quality, well trained dog, then you may see some benefit but the best dogs are trained for shotgun use and you would run the risk of ruining a quality animal. If you are just out for a laugh then yes, but for serious work clearing vermin I would leave Fido at home.

Done it a few times but its not really much of an advantage because you don't need game/vermin to be flushed and with an Airgun you tend to hit and kill or miss cleanly and the target legs it. If you had a good quality, well trained dog, then you may see some benefit but the best dogs are trained for shotgun use and you would run the risk of ruining a quality animal. If you are just out for a laugh then yes, but for serious work clearing vermin I would leave Fido at home.

Depends on who trains the dog!

Whilst my dog would not win any trials (thank God) she will flush when I ask, she will retrieve when I ask, she will walk quietly to heel when out with a rifle whether it be air, rimmie' or fullbore. She works close and to the whistle when shotgunning. She will point pretty much anything including deer, she retrieves fox and even tries to retrieve roe. She will sit, stay and await my return and liedown.

When fowling she will get in a hesian sac (because she is white and to keep warm). I can also stop her from dumping where I don't want her too!

She has increased my yield by a tremendous amount and is a hunting partner and never ever a burden in any situation.

From 9weeks she lived with me.

Here WE are hunting squirrels with an air rifle.

phantom002-1.jpg

U.

Depends on who trains the dog!

Whilst my dog would not win any trials (thank God) she will flush when I ask, she will retrieve when I ask, she will walk quietly to heel when out with a rifle whether it be air, rimmie' or fullbore. She works close and to the whistle when shotgunning. She will point pretty much anything including deer, she retrieves fox and even tries to retrieve roe. She will sit, stay and await my return and liedown.

When fowling she will get in a hesian sac (because she is white and to keep warm). I can also stop her from dumping where I don't want her too!

She has increased my yield by a tremendous amount and is a hunting partner and never ever a burden in any situation.

From 9weeks she lived with me.

Here WE are hunting squirrels with an air rifle.

That is one handsome dog :)