indicator problem

goodo123

Why is it cyclists never indicate? They moan about car drivers not giving them space or pulling in front of them but I very rarely see them indicate to turn. The reason I ask is on the way from work, approaching a junction, slowing down, cyclist tucked to the left then decided to swerve right in front of me to turn right. On goes the anchors, tyre screech, cyclist has a nervous episode and falls off. Gets up comes steeming towards my car, me undoing my belt, open door then he gets on his bike and he's gone.

Now i did cycling proficiency at school, they made you if you used. Their lock up. And we was taught to indicate. Is it a legal requirement for them to indicate and can they be fined etc like a motorist?

Many many moons ago, I had a Belt that connected to the bars on my bike! This had a set of indicators on the belt that were operated by the switch pack on the bars. I took the belt to bits and fabricated a rear cluster, This I attatched to the seat post and installed a Brake light. Powered by 4 D cell batteries it worked a treat! 3 weeks later, some theiving swine stole my bike :no:

I used to cycle every night after work, would do around ten miles and always got home by the same route.

Twice I have been knocked off my bike at the same roundabout, first time was an old guy joining the roundabout I went straight over his bonnet. He hoofed it when I got up and went to confront him.

Second time was blue van man, he hit the back of the bike so down I went again, he did not stop just kept on driving. Was not hurt on either occasion. After two lucky escapes gave cycling up and gave the bike away, could have been third time unlucky.

Just like a lot of car, van and lorry drivers then. Just saying like.

There seems to be an increasing number of "Bike Fascists" about, do as they wish, no regard for the laws of the roads, making themselves a danger to other road users...arrogant people !!

They have to follow the rules of the road the same as any other user.

There are good and bad in both camps but I feel that cyclists need to take far more responsibility for their actions on the road, I cycle to work a few times a week but stick to the cycle path as that is what it's there for.

There is no point being a licra warrior, a car is much harder than your head.

From the government website, they have to abide by the Highway Code, not that most cyclists knows it exists. Rule 67 applies.

They will still moan though. :-)

Skip to main content

Search

GOV.UK uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

HomeDriving, transport and travelThe Highway Code

Guide

Rules for cyclists (59 to 82)

Not what you're looking for? ↓

Overview (59 to 71)

Road junctions (72 to 75)

Roundabouts (76 to 78)

Crossing the road (79 to 82)

You and your bicycle

1. Overview (59 to 71)

These rules are in addition to those in the following sections, which apply to all vehicles (except the motorway section). See also You and your bicycle.

Clothing. You should wear

a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened

appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light

reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.

Law HA 1835 sect 72

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

Bus Lanes. Most bus lanes may be used by cyclists as indicated on signs. Watch out for people getting on or off a bus. Be very careful when overtaking a bus or leaving a bus lane as you will be entering a busier traffic flow. Do not pass between the kerb and a bus when it is at a stop.

You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear

keep both feet on the pedals

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

not ride close behind another vehicle

not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain

be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

You should

look all around before moving away from the kerb, turning or manoeuvring, to make sure it is safe to do so. Give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do (download Signals to other road users (PDF, 102KB))

look well ahead for obstructions in the road, such as drains, pot-holes and parked vehicles so that you do not have to swerve suddenly to avoid them. Leave plenty of room when passing parked vehicles and watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your path

be aware of traffic coming up behind you

take extra care near road humps, narrowings and other traffic calming features

take care when overtaking (see Rules 162 to 169).

You MUST NOT

carry a passenger unless your cycle has been built or adapted to carry one

hold onto a moving vehicle or trailer

ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner

ride when under the influence of drink or drugs, including medicine.

Law RTA 1988 sects 24, 26, 28, 29 & 30 as amended by RTA 1991

You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)

When parking your cycle

find a conspicuous location where it can be seen by passers-by

use cycle stands or other cycle parking facilities wherever possible

do not leave it where it would cause an obstruction or hazard to other road users

secure it well so that it will not fall over and become an obstruction or hazard.

You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advanced stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic (see Rule 178).

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36(1)

Next

Road junctions (72 to 75)

Print entire guide

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Last updated: 30 May 2013

Driving, transport and travel

The Highway Code

Traffic signs

More

Return to top ↑

Explore GOV.UK

Driving and transportBenefitsBusinesses and self-employedEmploying peoplePassports, travel and living abroadEducation and learningWorking, jobs and pensionsHousing and local servicesCrime, justice and the lawMoney and taxBirths, deaths, marriages and careDisabled peopleCitizenship and life in the UK

Inside Government

How government works

Departments

Worldwide

Topics

Policies

Publications

Announcements

Support linksSupport Cookies Feedback Cymraeg Built by the Government Digital Service

All content is available under the Open Government Licence v2.0, except where otherwise stated

© Crown Copyright

Edited by CZ550Kevlar