TV Licence

Boromir

Well as I find nothing on TV interesting any more I have just decided to phone up and cancel my TV licence. I have researched it a bit and even had an argument with my mum about it.

I'm amazed how many people think they need a TV licence because they have a TV when in fact you need a TV licence if you receive or record live television whether you watch it on the TV, the PC or your mobile or anything else that can receive a live signal from. You can still watch programmes on BBC iplayer for free though as again as long as its not live.

I know your going to say I have a pc to receive but I don't watch live TV from my PC. I do have a Television and its connected to my XBox to play games and to watch some movies on Netflix. Gave my Sky hd box to my mate.

But if you decide to cancel your TV licence make sure you phone them up or go on the TV licence website and tell them, as I think if you decide to cancel it without telling them you are breaking a contract.

Just thought I would tell you's as I hate the thought of £150 a year of my money being spent on paedophiles and Left wing biased ****.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as I find nothing on TV interesting any more I have just decided to phone up and cancel my TV licence. I have researched it a bit and even had an argument with my mum about it.

I'm amazed how many people think they need a TV licence because they have a TV when in fact you need a TV licence if you receive or record live television whether you watch it on the TV, the PC or your mobile or anything else that can receive a live signal from. You can still watch programmes on BBC iplayer for free though as again as long as its not live.

I know your going to say I have a pc to receive but I don't watch live TV from my PC. I do have a Television and its connected to my XBox to play games and to watch some movies on Netflix. Gave my Sky hd box to my mate.

But if you decide to cancel your TV licence make sure you phone them up or go on the TV licence website and tell them, as I think if you decide to cancel it without telling them you are breaking a contract.

Just thought I would tell you's as I hate the thought of £150 a year of my money being spent on paedophiles and Left wing biased ****.

i've read this somewhere before, you may well find yourself plagued with 'demands' which are often automated and can go on for years. I think that if you can actually prove to them by way of a visit from them, and maybe unplanned visits in the future that you really are abiding by the law, then to me you must be within your rights. I think that you must not listen to the radio either. p.s. nearly all media is liberal left biased in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the law states that if you have a device which is capable of receiving a live TV broadcast then you need one. So it's not a case of not watching it, but not owning something capable of doing so.

The next thing was always going to be that mobile phones would then mean you needed one, but I think that they give you a bit of leeway on that. However, if you have a nice Dell 30" LCD screen on your office desk at home, they may not take kindly to that.

Edited by Billy.

I'm pretty sure the law states that if you have a device which is capable of receiving a live TV broadcast then you need one. So it's not a case of not watching it, but not owning something to be able to do so.

The next thing was always going to be that mobile phones would then mean you needed one, but I think that they give you a bit of leeway on that. However, if you have a nice Dell 30" LCD screen on your office desk at home, they may not take kindly to that.

Size of monitor is irrelevant (Cinema don't need TV licences)...... http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

I'm pretty sure the law states that if you have a device which is capable of receiving a live TV broadcast then you need one. So it's not a case of not watching it, but not owning something capable of doing so.

The licence is only required to recieve TV broadcast services or install TV equipment. It is also an offence to possess TV equipment with an intention to install or use it without a valid licence.

You do not need to be licensed to possess a TV set even if it is already installed.

J.

The licence is only required to recieve TV broadcast services or install TV equipment. It is also an offence to possess TV equipment with an intention to install or use it without a valid licence.

You do not need to be licensed to possess a TV set even if it is already installed.

J.

can you show me where in this act it says that part four seems to be the relevent section http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/contents

Edited by overandunder2012

can you show me where in this act it says that part four seems to be the relevent section http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/contents

you having a laugh if you think im reading all that.

I read this from TVlicencing http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

you having a laugh if you think im reading all that.

I read this from TVlicencing http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

until i see it in the act i wont believe it any thing else is not the law, anyone know of any case law or presidents that support this?

Edited by overandunder2012

I would recommend that you write to TVLA, which is Capita btw, and tell them that you withdraw any implied right of invitation to attend your property by them or any of their agents and, should they do so, you will call the Police to remove them under a complaint of trespass.

Never allow anyone into your property to check your license.

The reason that I say this is because they are agents on commission. They make a profit if they can convince you to buy a license, whether you need one or not, or they make a profit out of any prosecution. In other words, they stand to profit from the visit and it's up to you to prove your innocence. A very dodgy legal precedent.

Detune yout telly because if they can get any reception at all, no matter how bad, then they'll prosecute or sell you a license for the above reason.

Capita (TVLA) will normally write to you respecting your wish but say that still retain the right to prove, by any other means, that you're watching telly.

P.S. You don't need a license to own a television any more than you need a license to own a car. It's only if you drive the car on public roads that you need a license.

B)

The thing about this is you could argue lots of things like this I have a car but but do not tend to go on motorways and only do about 2000 miles a year so why should I pay full road tax I pay my rates but do not get much in return I could go on and on as I see it you still get to see recorded stuff and listen to the radio so why should you not pay.

The history of the scam began when the BBC were granted the right to charge a fee for their services by Royal Charter , the conditions of the charter were that they were to remain unbiased and honest as a service for the people of this country so they had a good window on what was actually going on In the world which was at the time a very good sound idea . The farce we have today is a joke and nothing to do with the royal charter and everything to do with fooling and intimidating people into paying up for biased propoganda , the charter was only granted to the BBC so how they have wrangled it to become a generalised fee for receiving any signal by any provider is testament to how crooked the entire thing has become.

It is nothing more than a money making scam of huge proportions based on lies and deceit. Not one person I have contacted and offered to pay is capable of recreating the 40 year old detector van technology because it was all a lie used to intimidate people , the Q&A on the licencing service website states clearly that detector van evidence has never been used in court because to do so they would have to tell the defence how the equipment works , which they can't do , yet countless people will tell you how they have been fooled by lies in court and admitted to watching programmes before going in front of the judge as an easy way out ( we know you were watching eastendears sonny, cough up now for a licence and we will forgo the appearance in front of the judge and hefty fine, just don't do it again) The Beeb has many records of them receiving huge sums of money from foreign based companies and corporations which makes them biased which goes against the charter conditions for which they are allowed to charge a fee and people's only real comeback seems to be that they pay up every year so they dont see what anybody else should get away without paying either . Did anybody see programmes on the Beeb or any other channels about how the Icelandic people threw the bankers and politicians Into prison for corruption and restarted the entire political process and banking industry, they have no recession and no huge debts any longer ? Such a massive historical significance and we were kept entirely In the dark about it so we didn't get any ideas over here about following suit , now ask yourself who controls what you see on the telly and why ?

It is theoretically possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Eck_phreaking

Wikipedia is usefull but also full of carp as you well know, this is 40 year old tech we are talking about here and nobody can reproduce it for me , they can make video cameras the size of a peanut and build cars that park themselves but can't build me a tv detector , in theory anything is possible but in practice most of it falls flat on its face , I'm sure they can use your ISP or some technical wizardry to prove what you are streaming through a hard wired device but we are talking about a box plugged In to an Ariel on the roof here , on the licncing website the FOI request as to the workings of the detector vans was refused by a judge , can't remember the exact wording of his reason for refusing the request but it was something along the lines of keeping up appearances or the illusion of, its all on the web if anybody can be bothered to find it, the BBC i player T&C's stated clearly that you don't need a licence to watch delayed tv only live BBC broadcasts until people did screen dumps and used it in court to state why they didn't need a licence as they only watched channel 5 then the text was removed .

They did a live interview on the BBC brekkie programme following this and had the head of the licencing company woman on there, they asked if you need a licence to watch television and she replied that of course you need a licence to watch BBC , when questioned about requiring a licence to watch other channels her reply was " of course if you have a licence to watch the BBC it will cover you for any other channels as well" , a very clever play on Words as she did not say you needed one to watch any other channels or even imply so .

Have you asked anyone to reproduce it for you? :lol: :lol:

It is certainly theoretically possible. If the BBC do it or not - that is questionable.

There most certainly are devices which can for instance detect radar detectors. Where these are illegal, the police use them to find people use use detectors.

So the BBC or whomever does license enforcement doesn't need to see your screen - merely detect a monitor. I suspect it is much easier to detect a CRT - they must leak electromagnetic energy like crazy.

I have asked several very clever and inventive electronics engineers to reproduce it for me and offered to pay them well and they wouldn't know where to start, I have shares in an electronics company and my business partner is extremley clever but also he wouldn't know where to start , radar detectors are easy stuff to make as you are looking for something that is specifically directed at a known frequency, like rangefinders they just bounce a signal and time the return pulses , interfering with those pulses would be detected by the receiver as an anomoly , I know that quite a few people recon they know how TV detectors work but offer them money to reproduce it or even explain how to reproduce it and they usually come back with garbage , detecting leaked electromagnetism through a brick wall may be possible but that doesn't prove you are watching a tv or indeed give any indication of what channel you are watching , you could just as easily be watching a computer screen or oscilloscope , LCD, led and plasma's dont leak electromagnitism like a CRT would but your washing machine motor would also leak electromagnetism, as would the compressor in your fridge or your tumble dryer , I can build you a fully programmable progressive nitrous oxide control system that integrates with your cars ecu and also calculates by temperature and pulsed time the amount of nitrous oxide you have consumed whilst eliminating turbo lag , that's easy , fllying drones that you control from a laptop -we have done that one ,designing, building and running a unique 20ft long hybrid rocket dragster from scrap that runs on nitrous oxide and cardboard ,done that but reproducing 40 year old tech that pre-dates home computers ? Nobody can answer that one for me , you would think it would be easy after all these years with all the technology we have now wouldn't you?