What a difference a day makes

bakerboy

I went out yesterday for a day on my own, it is a long time since I have done that.

Went to an area that has seen a lot of pigeons over the past week, and in fairness has possibly been over shot.

After 5 hours and only a handful of pigeons to show for it I packed up and headed home.

The hours sitting in the hedgerow were not wasted, I spotted a very strong flight line, and the pigeons were busy all day dropping onto an area to feed and then off back to the safety of the trees.

Having packed up, I went and sat at a vantage point and watched for another 30 odd minutes, these birds were totally committed, to the feeding area, flight line and tree cover.

I returned to the area today with a new shooting friend, I arrived an hour or so before he, set up two hides, and whilst doing this the birds did not seem bothered by my movements at all.

I went and sat in my hide, and within the first hour I had 20 pigeons for 44 shots.

My friend arrived and away we went, banging away for the rest of the afternoon.

My friend was using a 20g with full and 1/2 chokes, 28g 6's, and was bringing birds down left right and centre, and also at some distance out.

It did not seem to bother the Pigeons that he stood up and waited for them, they were totally committed to landing in the trees.

By the way I forgot to mention we did not use any decoys, we were shooting over a field of Wheat bordering a field of Barley. The birds were feeding about 500 yards out in the field, and there was no where to set up near the feeding area.

We/I set up under the trees they were flighting to, over a bridleway backing onto a field that was not part of the permission.

The sad thing in todays shoot was not being able to pick up the greater part of what we shot (and only yesterday I complained about the smell of rotting pigeons at the other area), this would have done more damage to the crop than the pigeons, as most were dropping in front of us.

The total at the end of the day was a little in excess of 125, my partner was not the best counter, although a far superior shot, his hit rate was well into 1 for 2, very little got away, mine sadly slipped away, especially after I changed for what I thought would be a better position, only to be proved wrong.

I am pleased to say that this was my mates best ever bag, and also mine when not using decoys.

I will be going back to the spot in a day or two, I will let you know how I get on, keep your fingers crossed.

What if they have just been clipped and drop into wheat do you just leave them? At the moment I have stopped shooting because I have no dog to collect them and don't want to leave them or am I being to soft and just shoot them I don't like to leave them suffering. Also might be a silly question but if you leave a lot would it damage farm machinery combine etc?

I must say it saddens me when i read about good bags of birds being shot with lots not being picked, but each to their own I guess.

The farmer wants them shot to protect the crop.

Size 11 feet do more damage than the birds.

I too am saddened but we are there to do what the farmer wants, "protect the crop"

I understand that am just thinking tho I was walking round my permission on Saturday and plenty of pigeons about could of had a few shots but they would of landed in the wheat the previous week I shot a few but I know some of them had been clipped and probably left them to have a slow death! It's a bit differant for me as farmer isn't really that bothered about what we shoot or how many its just me doing it for a bit of sport I don't mind shooting them at all I just think they deserve a quick death maybe am just being soft and shouldn't be worrying just shoot them and forget it I suppose if its hit it will die eventually. That's why am thinking of a dog as I see how important they are now for quickly dispatching your quarry and not leaving dead birds everywhere. This is my first summer shooting when I started I had all winter to walk on fields picking up but I see this a problem now how do other people get around it or does it not stop some people?

It will be interesting to hear others views.

In the heat we have at the moment they decompose pretty quick, plus of course you have the predators and scavengers.

Most will below the level of the cutters when harvesting.

I know it is not good, but it has to be down. I always pick as many as I can and go the extra mile to do so, I am also pretty good at marking where they fall.

It would have been easier for me not to mention it, but it is what happened and I was telling the full story.

No dog?

No Dog.

But they can also do a lot of damage.

That's fair enough I was just thinking what would most people do in my shoes wait until crop has harvested to shoot or just fire away am more concerned about the winged birds really as I don't like leaving them that's all. Suppose they will decompose quickly and predators will take some so that's that out of way just left with the winged birds now not sure if could do that as its happened a few times to me now and does make me feel a bit bad but I know some people don't care suppose its down to the individual.

In the heat we have at the moment they decompose pretty quick, plus of course you have the predators and scavengers.

I know it is not good, but it has to be down. I always pick as many as I can and go the extra mile to do so, I am also pretty good at marking where they fall.

It would have been easier for me not to mention it, but it is what happened and I was telling the full story.

No Dog.

Not a criticism dude, just asking the question.

Personally I'd try and shoot them somewhere you have a better chance of picking them up if the dog was out of action, I use a dog and while I agree they can cause a bit of damage, its far less than me traipsing around would do and if the farmer wants pigeons shot he has to accept that a small amount of damage is likely.

That said, it's your permission and only you know your farmer so only you can make the call.

Not a criticism dude, just asking the question.

Personally I'd try and shoot them somewhere you have a better chance of picking them up if the dog was out of action, I use a dog and while I agree they can cause a bit of damage, its far less than me traipsing around would do and if the farmer wants pigeons shot he has to accept that a small amount of damage is likely.

That said, it's your permission and only you know your farmer so only you can make the call.

no offence taken.

In this area there is nowhere with easy access to collect dropped birds the crop is almost ready to come in, and the field I would guess at 20 acres

Edited by bakerboy

to be fair to the op, i have a dog but i would be reluctant to work him in this heat as it could be bad for his health. leaving dead birds is not ideal but its a crop protection exercise at the end of the day.

i'm sure the foxes will gather a fair few up given the number of cubs around at the moment.

aga man.

I have shot with Terry and can assure you he would do anything he can to collect as many birds as possible only stopping at damaging crop and upsetting the farmer.

Last year we shot together and he went the day after we shot with a man and his dog to collect as many more as possible!

Nice write up Terry and sounds like you had a great day.

I'd say one day maybe Jake will come down to pick birds for you but he would probably just point and it'd be me and you picking up :)

Cos

I shot a field of peas today, very strong flight line in and out, however my choice was a small low patch to drop the birds in.

Picked up 18 and lost 6.

If I had shot the area they were feeding in I could have killed 60/80 but picked none.

I kept them on the move with the way I shot the field and picked off those who came over my flapper…

TEH

Hi Cos

It was a good day and made for interesting shooting.

The birds only had eyes for the tree's they did not seem to notice us at all.

It will be good to see Jake.

You'll meet jake but he won't be ready till next year.

I shot a field of peas today, very strong flight line in and out, however my choice was a small low patch to drop the birds in.

Picked up 18 and lost 6.

If I had shot the area they were feeding in I could have killed 60/80 but picked none.

I kept them on the move with the way I shot the field and picked off those who came over my flapper…

TEH

This was shot over tall Wheat and Barley, there were no flat area's hence the reason no decoys.

This was shot over tall Wheat and Barley, there were no flat area's hence the reason no decoys.

No Dog.

I did read your post Terry...however there is more than one way to skin a cat.... :oops: lol

TEH

bakerboy

Yours was an interesting post and you were brave and possibly foolhardy at the same time to make it . I can see from others that you are the sort of man who would make every effort to find lost birds but not having a dog is always going to attract negative comments. I am though fully aware that either you or a dog walking through the crop would do a lot of damage.

I shot a few over tall peas last week and I am still bothered about leaving so many behind. The landowner has been on the phone again asking me to shoot the pigeons in the same fields and I only agreed to do so after he promised to send his 'keeper and six dogs to pick up after I have finished. Together the 'keeper and his dogs may do more damage than the pigeons would but at least the pick up would be thorough.

The problem of shooting over standing crops will always be a difficult conundrum.

Nice work Terry doing what the farmer wants crop protection ,after all thats why we are allowed to shot pigeons .

you could take me as you have seen me shoot ,i was just thinking then there would be less birds to leave on the ground :lol:

cheers mate

Hi Robert

You are next on the list to get out, phone call very soon.

Cheers

Terry

I posted about this a while ago and got slated for not looking after the farmers interests but I would still be very reluctant to shoot pigeons over standing crops and just leave them I have 2 dogs that would pick up no problem but the damage they would do would be more than the damage the pigeons were doing. I do shoot standing crops but generally manage to find an adjacent grass field or somewhere under the main flightline where pigeons can be picked up, I have shot from some pretty unusual spots and had some really good bags under flightlines and as long as you are not too far from the field they are flighting to and the gunfire keeps them moving you are still protecting the crop without doing any damage yourself.

A few years ago I noticed a field of standing barley with a couple of small laid patches. I asked the farmer could I shoot it and he said fill your boots on 1 condition, you bring a dog with you and pick-up ALL the birds. He said that when they bale the straw after harvest the feathers can choke his livestock.