Do clay grounds mind you using game carts for clays?

dazzyboi

The only difference is the shot size (and the fact game cartridges may be 30/32garms)

So I can't see why it would matter - unless they say no shot larger than 7, or no cartridges other than 28grams - which some grounds have a restriction on their planning permission.

They should be good for those long crossers anyway :good:

They work well on pairs of long Teal, with smaller shot you'll often hear the second bird "plinked" by the pellets but not broken, that doesn't happen with bigger shot, the extra striking energy will usually break the clay.

Some of you may have heard of George Digweed, his "load of choice" is a 35gram special, which he will generally use on all clays, unless the rules state otherwise, as they do in CPSA Registered competitions and other major events.

Kevin Mayor won the Essex Masters event at Hepworth Hall SG back in May using Express 36gram Buffalo's, they're too punchy on the shoulder for most people, and those that continue to shoot big bombers for any length of time end up with serious neck and shoulder problems and have then to switch to a semi-auto.

You've been warned..!!

Cat.

A lot of places I shoot restrict you, and a few specify "no game loads".

Aside from the odd No6 for the manual rabbit you would be doing yourself a disservice using anything bigger than No7's for clays anyway. 24g is more than enough load for clays, certainly nothing more than 28g loads. Anything more is overkill and you will end up with a dodgy shoulder :good:

The only restrictions I have seen are, max 28gm loads and/or fibre wads.

Its best to check with the Clay Ground you are shooting at.

I was shooting clays some time ago and other shooters mentioned the loud discharge noise of a particular gun. When the "marshalls" checked the chaps cartridges they were 32gms and he had the choice of going to the Club House and buying 28gms, or going home.

Not sure about the comments about getting a dodgy shoulder from anything larger than 28grms. Shot 32grms for 20 years without any problems. Not sure why you would need 32 grms now. 24grms are supposed to produce best patterns. I have some Winchester Trap 8's - 24 grms which I use for longer distance.

I know a couple of guys who complain about neck pains.

Probably married men Pin :good:

I used to shoot Maionci(?) 32grams and they were horrible, especially if we did a 100 birder and went round twice - just to see if we could get any less!

So a question for the grounds that say 'no game loads' what about the people, and there are plenty of them, that shoot partridges/pigeons with 7's?

Is that a trap load or is that a game load?

A game load is generally regarded as 30gram, whereas the standard Trap Load is now 28gram.

It used to be 32gram in the good old days, and when the change over to 28gram was confirmed by the CPSA, we all thought that scores would drop on the basis that fewer pellets in the air = fewer clays broken, but we were wrong on that one, and scores actually improved.

Also to name a few top class clay shooters that have switched to Semi Autos due to recoil problems:

Carl Bloxham

Stuart Clarke

Philip Simpson

Dave Izzard

If you ever get to shoot clays in the states, just see how well those Yanks handle a semi auto, it's amazing how well they shoot with them.

Cat.

Where I shoot its restricted to no 8 for all clays except skeet, which is no 9, no exceptions! :good:

I dont see any disadvantage to a semi auto compared to an o/u, in fact quite the opposite.

what are the advantages then. apart from the safety aspect and having only one choke surely the third shot (game only of course) is the main advantage, the dont handle much different do they?

is there any disadvanatge of a semi to an over-under?

No, none at all, they handle completely differently however, and they do take a bit of getting used to if you've shot an O/U for any length of time.

And whilst they're used by many top class shots, I have to say that all major competitions here in the UK tend to be won by guys using O/U's, not semi-auto's.

Cat.

First post so be gentle with me.

With regards to Semi v O/U I shoot both for clays and pigeons but my personal preference is for the Semi as it is lighter, has less recoil and is better balanced, with regards to only having 1 choke I get around it by using 2 different shot sizes; if the pairs are completly different, say No.8 for close range and No.7 for the going away bird.

Noddy

good question,i shoot clays with either an o/u 12 bore or a s/b/s 16.for ninety per cent of my shooting i use a semi and am always wary of taking one to a clay ground mostly due to the looks they get.thing is i want to practice on clays with the gun i use most,not one that fits the "berretta badge,matching gun slip and cartridge bag,cpsa member" criteria.

They work well on pairs of long Teal, with smaller shot you'll often hear the second bird "plinked" by the pellets but not broken, that doesn't happen with bigger shot, the extra striking energy will usually break the clay.

Some of you may have heard of George Digweed, his "load of choice" is a 35gram special, which he will generally use on all clays, unless the rules state otherwise, as they do in CPSA Registered competitions and other major events.

Kevin Mayor won the Essex Masters event at Hepworth Hall SG back in May using Express 36gram Buffalo's, they're too punchy on the shoulder for most people, and those that continue to shoot big bombers for any length of time end up with serious neck and shoulder problems and have then to switch to a semi-auto.

You've been warned..!!

Cat.

Those are heavy loads! Dad uses BB Buffalo Special Load for foxes! ;)

FM :lol:

Where I shoot its restricted to no 8 for all clays except skeet, which is no 9, no exceptions! :blink:

I dont see any disadvantage to a semi auto compared to an o/u, in fact quite the opposite.

what are the advantages then. apart from the safety aspect and having only one choke surely the third shot (game only of course) is the main advantage, the dont handle much different do they?

As has been said the semi has less recoil, and only one barrel so no (admittedly slight) height compensation for 1st or 2nd barrel. A semi always looks better imo too, though I accept taht is completely subjective :yahoo:

You can use any cartridge as long as you don't go above shot size 6 (depending on local rules). All CPSA registered/affiliated grounds design their layouts based on the maximum shot size being No6. If you use larger shot then you may penetrate screens etc that are used to protect trappers and other shooters. Some grounds are only cleared for a maximum of 6's and on those grounds it is illegal to use larger shot ie my local ground.