Rifle questions?

Right, I have two questions for folk shooting CF rifles.

1) how often do you check your zero?

2) how often do you clean your rifle?

I like to have shot the rifle fairly recently to the day I'm planning going out shooting, so that I know everything is lined up correctly. If not, I like to go and zero the rifle. Now I know there's some folk who don't check zero for ages.

Cleaning the rifle. Every 20-30 shots usually. I'm using butches bore shine and go from wet to dry patches until they come out clean.

Would be interested to hear your methods. A few folk I know say that I don't need to check zero regularly but it gives me added confidence that I know the rifle is still spot on.

Edited by wildfowler.250

Depends which rifle it is i use 204 and 243 the 204 needs cleaning more often about 30-40 rounds 243 is about 50-60 rounds in one session but if out stalking or foxing and have a shot the its cleaned before its put away. As for checking zero once a month unless i know it has had a knock or the bullet dosnt hit where it should have

I'm very new to CF rifles, having owned my 223 for a few weeks. I am cleaning it after every outing whether I've shot 1 or 100 rounds. When I say cleaning it, I'm simply running a bore snake through a couple of times and then giving it a proper clean every few months - or at least thats the plan!

My rimfires don't get cleaned at all.

I'm very new to CF rifles, having owned my 223 for a few weeks. I am cleaning it after every outing whether I've shot 1 or 100 rounds. When I say cleaning it, I'm simply running a bore snake through a couple of times and then giving it a proper clean every few months - or at least thats the plan!

So what you are really saying is that you intend to clean your .223 every few months :whistling:

Can I ask why you shoot 40 rounds before cleaning in one situation but need to clean it after firing one shot out stalking? I thought it would come to the same thing?

Cheers for the reply!

If i go out stalking say twice a-week and have one shot each outing and three shots when checking zero that would mean that my barrel would be full of crud for most of the year. Which is noy good in my eyes. I can get through anywere upto 100 rounds in a day on targets plinking so it will have beenn cleaned two or three times befroe it gets put away. Bore snakes have never been in any of my rifles as i cant see how they can clean propperly good old cleaning rod brushes solvent patches. I have just ran in a new barrel one shot and clean for twenty shots then some groups of 3 and 5 and clean after each group until it becomes easy to remove copper

I'm not really a lover of bore snakes - They do have their uses but my real concern is damage to the crown. At the range I see guys dragging the snake through with the cord running right over the lip of the crown - :no:

I'm not really a lover of bore snakes - They do have their uses but my real concern is damage to the crown. At the range I see guys dragging the snake through with the cord running right over the lip of the crown - :no:

Here it's a bore snake each time out then a proper clean every 20 or so rounds but my rifles do tend to shoot spot on from clean so its not an issue

Same here, it does the job fine for me!

As above. :yes::good:

I'm not a fan of Bore snakes for cleaning as many here know, but they can have a use as a quick pull through, with care, then Clean Properly.

.....and if you clean PROPERLY, the gun should shoot straight again first shot as well, mine do and so it seems do many others.

:good:

As above. :yes::good:

I'm not a fan of Bore snakes for cleaning as many here know, but they can have a use as a quick pull through, with care, then Clean Properly.

.....and if you clean PROPERLY, the gun should shoot straight again first shot as well, mine do and so it seems do many others.

:good:

I wouldn't class.

The bore snake as cleaning but it gets rid of all the powder residue and with a dose of cleaner also distributes that through the bore to displace moisture. As its simple it gets done even after getting in late from foxing and seems a better option than leaving the residue in place

zero once a month and clean as and when the grouping opens up, i have started to push the nylon brush up the spout every time i come home just to clean the floating debris out.

He's always cleaning that bloody gun. The groupings open up every time I hand it back to him! :lol::P