subsonic hmr?

tx4cabbie

This might seem a silly question, but is there a subsonic round made for the. 17hmr? I have neither at the moment, but was just pondering the. 22lr vs. 17hmr question- .22 is quiet, but shortrange, .17 goes further, but that sonic crack is loud around paddocks/houses.

Occurred to me, so you don't need both, does anyone do a subsonic hmr? I know you would sacrifice range and power, but could be useful for those with only one rifle.

dumb idea?

The clues in the name Hornady Magnum Rimfire

That really is a helpful post.

What on earth has the name got to do with the OP's, quite reasonable, question. If you don't ask you'll never learn.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance" !!!!!!!

Edited by CharlieT

Interesting one actually.

It would probably be pointless but I'd quite like to see how a 17sub would perform.

People have done it with 50bmg so it might not be such a daft idea?

.300 whisper is a popular one.

Edited by Amazed

The speed of the little .17 HMR is what gives it it's devastating performance - to lower this to subsonic level seems pointless - if you are going to shoot at 1100 fps you may as well go for the heavier .22 round. There is not much to be gained in shooting a wee .17 round at subsonic speeds.

What about the .17hm2 ?

I believe this is a .17 round in a necked down .22 case

From what I have read it will work out to 100 yards on bunnies but i can't find information on the sound.

HB

I asked the same question about the noise comparison between HMR and Mach 2 - some said the noise is much the same, whilst others say the Mach 2 is quieter. Something tells me they will be much the same in terms of noise, despite the Mach 2 having a bit less powder

Good question.

If you wanted one rifle for small (rabbit, etc) vermin at the normal sub-sonic 22 LR range and also for the usual 17 HMR usage and assuming that the possibility (probability or even the definite need) of having to adjust the zero to suit each bullet is deemed acceptable, this would work and work well. The following is NOT set in stone and is just to give an idea and was picked to give a trajectory similar to the 22 LR and an energy level to avoid excessive bullet drop which really would be pointless.

Have a look at the ballistics of a 25gn bullet having a BC of 0.15 and an MV of 1065 with, say, a zero at 70 yards. As said, pretty close to the 22 LR with still more than sufficient energy to kill at 100 yards but beyond that things start to drop like the proverbial brick which is of no consequence as for that one would revert to the usual 17 HMR round.

The more you think about it, the better the idea becomes. A summertime long range vermin and winter shorter range lamping rifle all in one. And the windage is a tad better than the 22 LR.

Yep, good question!

Ok, so weight of bullet would be 17-20g I guess, or are we going to get a much heavier bullet?

1050ft sec or there abouts, with a 17g would give approx. 41ft lb and with a 20g approx. 48ft lb! What about energy retention, I suspect it would drop off quite quickly.

.22lr sub is circa 100ft lb, is there a market for a 40-50ft lb HMR??

Ok, so weight of bullet would be 17-20g I guess, or are we going to get a much heavier bullet?

1050ft sec or there abouts, with a 17g would give approx. 41ft lb and with a 20g approx. 48ft lb! What about energy retention, I suspect it would drop off quite quickly.

.22lr sub is circa 100ft lb, is there a market for a 40-50ft lb HMR??

Have a look at the WSM bullet weights and particularly the BC of the 25gn version. If I wasn't old and past it, I wouldn't be averse to having a word with someone about loading a few to try!

Have a look at the WSM bullet weights and particularly the BC of the 25gn version. If I wasn't old and past it, I wouldn't be averse to having a word with someone about loading a few to try!

Unless I'm very much mistaken the V-Max type do not have good terminal performance at low speeds though! :good: