Some HGV drivers

the crowman

unless there are restrictions in force like on some dual carriageways, there is no law and we are totally within our right to

overtake another slower vehicle just like anybody else.

Also because we can, and we know it winds all the car drivers up. :whistling:

Were the King of the roads don't you know. :lol:

The whole country would grind to a halt without us.

as to the idea to have it like Germany, I'm sure you'll all complain when the cost of everything goes up to cover the extra cost

of all drivers/stores etc to operate at night.

There is also no law requiring motorists to keep in the left hand lane 800 yards before a lane closure, and certainly no law requiring truck drivers to police this!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only grievance with truck drivers is really where they try to overtake. Take the A14 between the M6 in Northants and Huntingdon in Cambs for example.There are numerous hills and trucks always try to overtake going up them which can take several miles when they're doing at best 3mph faster than the vehicle they're trying to pass.

During daytime the tailbacks behind them often stretch further than the eye can see so now when i eventually get past i simply get infront of the truck and gently ease off the throttle forcing the truck to slow down. Winding down to 48 mph is great because its too slow for them overtake without momentum. Nightime is equally as frustrating.

It just seems the latest breed of LGV drivers are arrogant anus holes who care very little about other road users.Yes,i know they've got a job to do and everything i wear,eat,drink,buy,use etc has been hauled by a truck at some point,but this dont give them the right to hold up other road users un-necessarily. Thankfully Cambridgeshire Police have been clamping down on them last year or so.

Oh and i used to be a truck driver years ago so im not green around the gills.

There is also no law requiring motorists to keep in the left hand lane 800 yards before a lane closure, and certainly no law requiring truck drivers to police this!

nope but the simple fact is you all get through faster if you don't have the idiots which seems to include crowman screaming up the outside and forcing their way in at the last moment causing everyone to brake

unless there are restrictions in force like on some dual carriageways, there is no law and we are totally within our right to

overtake another slower vehicle just like anybody else.

Also because we can, and we know it winds all the car drivers up. :whistling:

Were the King of the roads don't you know. :lol:

The whole country would grind to a halt without us.

as to the idea to have it like Germany, I'm sure you'll all complain when the cost of everything goes up to cover the extra cost

of all drivers/stores etc to operate at night.

:good: That's more like it, some honesty ! :good:

Edited by Twistedsanity

if the car drivers paid more attention to road signs they would not get themselves in this situation, you know see the signs and still leave it to the last minute

because they think they'll get further ahead in that lane because most other people have already moved across and then sit at the end of the road indicating so somebody will let them in. the fact that all the truckers are already over just states a fact that we are observing the road signs.

I find it interesting how posession of a different class of driving licence automaticly entitles the holder to police the roads , take control of multiple lanes and force other drivers to behave in the way you think they should yet still go to sleep safe in the knowledge that you are not being a complete pain in the backside to all and any other road users , could one of the professionals please point me to the section in the Highway Code where it say that lorry drivers have that right?

Its in the very very secret section known only to lorry drivers that have passed very very special police exams to help the poor understaffed traffic police manage the roads leading up to roadworks,

As for the very slow overtakes......thats in the other very very secret section known as mobile speed humps, this is another bit known only to them that have passed the mobile speed hump course,

It forces the traffic to slow down (like normal speed humps) but on a mobile basis,

these can pop up virtually anywhere but more often on dual carriageways.

Its a bit like those car drivers that tootle along in the middle lane of a 3 lane road, they are there to prevent lorries overtaking because we are not allowed in the third lane (unless you have passed the above mentioned very very secret stuff)

I hope that has explained everything.....

*bends knees*....."move along now, nothing to see here.....move along"

:shaun:

I was told many years ago by a lorry driver that cars cause crashes not Lorries !!!!!.

So How come, when accidents happen there is always a Lorrie in the pileup that has caused Deaths, if they were so good at driving, as they do every day, why do they get involved with so many deaths.. I know all the other vehicles will be quoted, Cars of all types, But responsibilty rests with what distance you can stop these 44 ton monsters, So call advanced drivers should want to get home in one piece too surely:

When the M6 opened many years ago Nr Coventry, the only vehicles on the road were Myself in a triumph car and 2 lorry drivers, who boxed me in for about 10 miles,

one was in the nearside lane the other in the fast lane, when I tried to get ahead of the 2 lorries one moved out the other stayed in the nearside lane, I slowed down, they slowed down, when i speeded up they went faster and moved closer to me:At times I thought they were going to collide with me. Pity mobile phones were not in abundance, they would both have had a police car on their tail by the time we reached Coventry, and they were both on CB Radios, I could see them talking on them.. Both by the same company I believe.

Their jobs and licences should have been taken off them for life::::

Its in the very very secret section known only to lorry drivers that have passed very very special police exams to help the poor understaffed traffic police manage the roads leading up to roadworks,

As for the very slow overtakes......thats in the other very very secret section known as mobile speed humps, this is another bit known only to them that have passed the mobile speed hump course,

It forces the traffic to slow down (like normal speed humps) but on a mobile basis,

these can pop up virtually anywhere but more often on dual carriageways.

Its a bit like those car drivers that tootle along in the middle lane of a 3 lane road, they are there to prevent lorries overtaking because we are not allowed in the third lane (unless you have passed the above mentioned very very secret stuff)

I hope that has explained everything.....

*bends knees*....."move along now, nothing to see here.....move along"

Aha! :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol: all is now clear. Is it cos they is all in the Masons?

if the car drivers paid more attention to road signs they would not get themselves in this situation, you know see the signs and still leave it to the last minute

because they think they'll get further ahead in that lane because most other people have already moved across and then sit at the end of the road indicating so somebody will let them in. the fact that all the truckers are already over just states a fact that we are observing the road signs.

using both the lanes that have been provided is common sense to keep traffic filtering( thats why here are two lanes there) obstructing those lanes and preventing filtering because you think you are the self appointed road police is just plain ( insert word/words of choice here), has it ever occurred to you that a car driver who's backside is 2 feet from the ground with a 40ft arctic in front of him trying to be intimidating has had his vision obscured by the lorry so may not have seen the signs and is also trying to rush past before the driver decides to block both lanes and cause an obstruction for whatever reason?

I was told many years ago by a lorry driver that cars cause crashes not Lorries !!!!!.

So How come, when accidents happen there is always a Lorrie in the pileup that has caused Deaths, if they were so good at driving, as they do every day, why do they get involved with so many deaths.. I know all the other vehicles will be quoted, Cars of all types, But responsibilty rests with what distance you can stop these 44 ton monsters, So call advanced drivers should want to get home in one piece too surely:

When the M6 opened many years ago Nr Coventry, the only vehicles on the road were Myself in a triumph car and 2 lorry drivers, who boxed me in for about 10 miles,

one was in the nearside lane the other in the fast lane, when I tried to get ahead of the 2 lorries one moved out the other stayed in the nearside lane, I slowed down, they slowed down, when i speeded up they went faster and moved closer to me:At times I thought they were going to collide with me. Pity mobile phones were not in abundance, they would both have had a police car on their tail by the time we reached Coventry, and they were both on CB Radios, I could see them talking on them.. Both by the same company I believe.

Their jobs and licences should have been taken off them for life::::

Cant argue with that....

using both the lanes that have been provided is common sense to keep traffic filtering( thats why here are two lanes there) obstructing those lanes and preventing filtering because you think you are the self appointed road police is just plain ( insert word/words of choice here), has it ever occurred to you that a car driver who's backside is 2 feet from the ground with a 40ft arctic in front of him trying to be intimidating has had his vision obscured by the lorry so may not have seen the signs and is also trying to rush past before the driver decides to block both lanes and cause an obstruction for whatever reason?

No, a lot (and not all) car driver have an inbuilt "must beat the lorry/coach" syndrome), I ve seen LOTS of car drivers just plain ignorantly ignore the filter signs and try to push in as late as possible

If the car driver was correctly positioning his car then he would be able to see far enough ahead to see whats going on, its called driving to conditions you are in, if you are that close to the lorry that you cant see the signs, then the lorry driver cant see you

Agree 100% if everybody got over when the y should, everything would mesh in nicely. Unfortunately, a collection of idiots driving anything from a fiesta to a white van fly down the cones and push in at the last minute causing everyone to have to brake. Whilst I agree that they are not traffic cops, in this case they are getting it right.

+1 :good:

Yes I have and if he is that close to the vehicle in front and also has not noticed the signs, I question his entitlement to be on the road.

I agree that truckers should not be self appointed traffic copsbut I can understand why theey do it. You queue patiently for 20 mins as it all goes into one lane then a smart butt races down, nearly ends in the cones...

How about this for crass stupidity. Recently, the M62 was taken to one lane due to road works. The Robbie Williams concert was also turning out onto the motorway.

We all got into one lane, then at the next junction, a load of idiots went up the sliproad, across the roundabout, then down the sliproad in an effort to get ahead.

All it did was delay people by another 20 mins both on the motorway and on the sliproad. Mindless Morons with no thinking capacity.

When you're driving up to 500 miles a DAY, for 6 days a week, that half a mile an hour can make a lot of difference!

For arguement a sake say your wagon is limited to 50mph and the one in front is only managing to do 49.5mph. If you were to do 50mph for 500 miles it'd take you 10 hours, if you sat at half a mile an hour slower (ie 49.5mph) for the entire 500 mile journey it'd take you.....10 hours and 6 minutes. This is pretty much a worst case situation, the higher your limiter the smaller the percentage difference in speed and the less time tou save. A huge difference I think not.

P.S. it annoys me when people think the line of cones is the point where they should cut into the queue so I'm quite happy for wagons or any other large vehicle to force those twunts to queue with the rest of us.

My only grievance with truck drivers is really where they try to overtake. Take the A14 between the M6 in Northants and Huntingdon in Cambs for example.There are numerous hills and trucks always try to overtake going up them which can take several miles when they're doing at best 3mph faster than the vehicle they're trying to pass.

During daytime the tailbacks behind them often stretch further than the eye can see so now when i eventually get past i simply get infront of the truck and gently ease off the throttle forcing the truck to slow down. Winding down to 48 mph is great because its too slow for them overtake without momentum. Nightime is equally as frustrating.

It just seems the latest breed of LGV drivers are arrogant anus holes who care very little about other road users.Yes,i know they've got a job to do and everything i wear,eat,drink,buy,use etc has been hauled by a truck at some point,but this dont give them the right to hold up other road users un-necessarily. Thankfully Cambridgeshire Police have been clamping down on them last year or so.

Oh and i used to be a truck driver years ago so im not green around the gills.

3mph is faster than you think in a lorry and it also takes along time to make that 3mph back up. I over take even if its 1mph faster because I'm well within my right to.

For arguement a sake say your wagon is limited to 50mph and the one in front is only managing to do 49.5mph. If you were to do 50mph for 500 miles it'd take you 10 hours, if you sat at half a mile an hour slower (ie 49.5mph) for the entire 500 mile journey it'd take you.....10 hours and 6 minutes. This is pretty much a worst case situation, the higher your limiter the smaller the percentage difference in speed and the less time tou save. A huge difference I think not.

Well mine does 57mph (92kmh) and over the average week of 2500/3000km, the half an hour/45mins saved could mean the difference between making the final delivery or not, and hence being able to get home, or havin to stay out for the weekend and tip it Monday, or whatever :good:

Absolutely no way on gods earth would I sit behind a 50mph truck for hours or days on end, I'd crack up!