Flies eggs!

markyboy

What are u suppose to do with pigeon if some of the pigeon have eggs on them from horrible bluebottles? Are they knackered and only good for throwing away ? I tried everything today but some of them clearly had eggs laid on them ! Horrible creatures !!!

What are u suppose to do with pigeon if some of the pigeon have eggs on them from horrible bluebottles? Are they knackered and only good for throwing away ? I tried everything today but some of them clearly had eggs laid on them ! Horrible creatures !!!

just pluck em off the feathers but agree they are horrible things

we try and keep em covered as we are shooting them to keep em off

I always check under the wings and the vent for eggs. I don't bother taking the eggs out from the beaks or nostrils, i just take the heads off. I have in the past put out a 'sacrificial' feral for the flies next to the hide, whilst keeping the woodies covered as best i can.

Sorry should have said if these are going to a chiller at game dealer ? Is it best to get rid of the infested dead birds ? Today was possibly the worst I've known it for bluebottles they were everywhere !

as i said just pluck away the eggs on the feathers, under the wings is a favourite for em its takes days before the eggs hatch into maggots

touché motty :good:

Edited by yickdaz

Yes Motty I tried that, I did a silly thing last week and wrapped my dead birds up with my good net and today they wouldn't leave it alone ! I was cracking up it was putting me off shooting with them buzzing about my net !!! Left my hessian sacks at home ! School boy error !!

I dont do much summer shooting but years ago an old guy told me that to keep flies off dead bird decoys set them up with elder twigs. So it might be worth a try at least to cover any shot birds with elder leaves. Might be a bit of a folk tale but wont cost anything to find out.

Blackpowder

I use three large fine mesh carp sacks, lay the birds in them as I pick up and remove eggs. I check again when I lay on floor in garage and again when I place in freezers. Fly blow is a pain but I did have a maggot infestation in a freezer that I over filled and it cost me two hundred birds as I disposed of all the birds. You can not possibly afford to loose credibility with the game dealer as you are dealing with people's food. Credibility like permission is hard to get and easy to loose

I dont do much summer shooting but years ago an old guy told me that to keep flies off dead bird decoys set them up with elder twigs. So it might be worth a try at least to cover any shot birds with elder leaves. Might be a bit of a folk tale but wont cost anything to find out.

Blackpowder

Yes elderberry leaves will deter flys on birds and shooters.

Ok so with the sun blaring and the bags getting full! I was out yesterday for 7 hours ! Will the birds keep in a warm bag bunched up together ? I know there isn't alot of options but realistically how long can you stay out before they are ruined by heat ?

Ok so with the sun blaring and the bags getting full! I was out yesterday for 7 hours ! Will the birds keep in a warm bag bunched up together ? I know there isn't alot of options but realistically how long can you stay out before they are ruined by heat ?

no bud they need to be laid out on a concrete floor as soon as you get home spread out to allow them to cool before they are put in a freezer I just tip them out in the back garden on the paved area for about 3 to 4 hrs in the shade obviously

As you say hessian sack is standard kit - two is best - just in case and until you get over the first bag capacity - put one inside the other.

As Kes say's, hessain sacks seem to work very well, I will often take mine slightly damp which seems to work better than them being bone dry for some reason.

As Kes say's, hessain sacks seem to work very well, I will often take mine slightly damp which seems to work better than them being bone dry for some reason.

Trouble is, once you have 30-40 in a hessian sack the heat will be kept in the birds. They need to be laid out preferably not touching each other.

as i said just pluck away the eggs on the feathers, under the wings is a favourite for em its takes days before the eggs hatch into maggots

touché motty :good:

Be careful, Daz. It doesn't always happen but i've had them hatch overnight before. I shot around 150 and had to get rid of over half the bag. I was annoyed to say the least.

try sprickling some white pepper over the dead birds flies don't like pepper it works

my brother supplies the catering industary il get a big bag/tub of white pepper powder off him and give it a go ! anything to help this time of year!

I use wet hessian sacks and keep in shade. As the water evaporates it cools the bag. Try to keep them spread out and keep the neck folded flat to keep the flies out. Still have some late picked up pigeons covered with eggs. Plan to freeze these (carefully spread out). Will freezing kill the eggs? Will the game dealer still take them with visible eggs on them?