If you don't use snap caps...

Chris 1985

Evening all

I just need to throw a stupid newbie question out there, if I may. It came to mind reading another thread.

For those that don't use snap caps, do you still pull the trigger, reset and fire the second barrel before storing? Or do you just close the gun after cleaning and put it away?

Atb

Chris

Evening all

I just need to throw a stupid newbie question out there, if I may. It came to mind reading another thread.

For those that don't use snap caps, do you still pull the trigger, reset and fire the second barrel before storing? Or do you just close the gun after cleaning and put it away?

Atb

Chris

Go in a gun shop and see how many guns have snap caps in them!!

TEH

All you need to do is hold your trigger in whilst closing the gun and it doesn't set the firing mechanism, no need for snap caps or putting it away under stress.

I can see Auto safety will be a pain if you try that! The safety will stop you releasing the sears while the gun is open surely?

also on a S/T set up I guess only one hammer will decock?

Edited by Lord Geordie

UD

I have managed on nearly ALL my S/A to de cock them. I simply pull the bolt back just before the lock engages. Pull the trigger and slowly let the bolt go forward. The hammer folows the back of the bolt not a problem.

oh....I must try that.....I thought the mech that prevents full auto and slam firing would prevent it.

Sorry men if I got it wrong.

Thanks.

U.

Edited by Underdog

Springs wear out eventually, not used snap caps for a very long time and never seen the need, if it makes u warm inside then buy some, if not don't lose sleep about it as at some some point u will have to replace the springs anyway (normally a very far away point in the future).

I can see Auto safety will be a pain if you try that! The safety will stop you releasing the sears while the gun is open surely?

also on a S/T set up I guess only one hammer will decock?

Never really thought about the second barrel on a single trigger gun I just assumed it sorted both, it's how I've always done it on break barrel shotguns, never tried with my pump but I can soon check.

Snap caps have their purpose with gunsmiths/dealers/owners who want to dry fire guns to test the action, and with training for novices to get used to trigger pull and for instructors to hear the timing before introducing live fire.

They really have no purpose in modern guns with coil springs for storage purposes. Coil springs are 50% compressed even when released, and when the strikers are released the return springs are tensioned, so releasing one set of springs in storage only tensions other parts in the action anyway.

Their purpose in storage is historic. Old guns were made with hammered V springs - these lose tension over time and the relief of these in an old gun does preserve the spring life, but if you have a modern gun the springs are made of spring steel the same as car valve springs, and I dont notice too many people taking the head off their car to relieve their valve springs when they park up. A cars valve springs may do many millions of reciprocations without fault, and your gun's no different.

Anything that comes from the period when guns were essentially hand made, ie traditional English sidelocks from pre - 60s etc mainly had hammered V springs.

Steel technology has improved dramatically over the last 50 yrs, so even the few guns today with V springs ( ie Perazzi etc) have far superior tension qualities to the old ones.

Coil springs largely replaced V springs as technology in metal improved.

Metal technology in guns pretty much parallels that of car engines. In the 50s an engine needed a rebuild after 50,000 miles - today engines last 500,000 miles or more.

Guns are the same, the older the gun the shorter life the parts will have in wear / tension terms, but anything made in last 20 years should have 10 to 20 times the component life compared with, say, a pre-war < WWII gun

Wouldn't really disagree with Clayman, who clearly knows his subject. All I would say, however, is that the Stanton (i.e. best quality) springs on my hammergun, now about 140 years old, are so resistant to the cocking of the hammers that they must be as strong now as when they were made. Equally, I have to be careful when releasing the hammers against the power of my thumb if I wish to de-cock them.