Air rifle hunters required.

Hi Evan, thanks but...

I should also say that I will favour members with a half decent post count, experience has shown that if you've just happened upon PW and decided to approach me, you are probably going to prove unreliable.

Shoot is covered at the moment anyway as it says above. Sorry if this sounds a bit short, but you are probably the tenth person to find Pigeonwatch and start messaging with a zero or slightly better post count. It's always good to read the previous posts on a thread first.

• 1 month later...

I would love an opertunity like this. But by the sound of it i am under qualified due to lack of posts on my behalf. The fact that i have been bought up by my parents in the country enjoying the outdoors etc over being sat on my backside on a computer writing pointless posts confuses me slightly. Surely you are looking for someone reliable and sensible to undertake the job in a safe and professional manner. I have littetally just joined pigeon watch so im obviously the kind of person you dont think is suitable. The fact that i have shot for the past 15 years means nothing. I never learnt how to put pellet on pellet shots out to 75 yards. Or field craft from writing on an internet forum.

Sorry if i have offeneded you, i am far from a trouble maker and probably the most placid of folk, Yes i am new but dont judge a book by its cover.

I am awaiting my slap on the wrist/ ban

Tom

It always pays to check the start dates on these threads, as chasing an offer that's months out of date rarely results in a satisfactory reply. but good luck in your search for permission, if you are indeed searching and not just trying to benefit from someone else's generosity, and sarcasm will never bring a posotive response. :no::no:

It always pays to check the start dates on these threads, as chasing an offer that's months out of date rarely results in a satisfactory reply. but good luck in your search for permission, if you are indeed searching and not just trying to benefit from someone else's generosity, and sarcasm will never bring a posotive response. :no::no:

Well said :good:

The post count thing is to discourage people who've just bought a gun and fancy doing some hunter/gatherer stuff, from jumping on Google, arriving here and then expecting to immediately be onto some free shooting permission because they've gone to the time and effort to Google 'shooting permission'.

This is one of the ways that I choose to weed out the wannabes, sorry if you don't like it, but you'd probably like the face to face meeting even less then .Permissions are generally not easy to come by. I hope you get some luck in finding some.

I would love an opertunity like this. But by the sound of it i am under qualified due to lack of posts on my behalf. The fact that i have been bought up by my parents in the country enjoying the outdoors etc over being sat on my backside on a computer writing pointless posts confuses me slightly. Surely you are looking for someone reliable and sensible to undertake the job in a safe and professional manner. I have littetally just joined pigeon watch so im obviously the kind of person you dont think is suitable. The fact that i have shot for the past 15 years means nothing. I never learnt how to put pellet on pellet shots out to 75 yards. Or field craft from writing on an internet forum.

Sorry if i have offeneded you, i am far from a trouble maker and probably the most placid of folk, Yes i am new but dont judge a book by its cover.

Tom

Lose the attitude if you are wanting someone to invite you out.

Permissions are hard to come by and easily lost if you are not careful.

You need to trust the people you take so a few posts to show the type of person you are is not too unreasonable.

I love face to face and regularly meet with farmers/land owners . I introduced myself into hunting/shooting and i have got all of my permissions off of my own back through meeting people and dropping into farms. And near on have 1000 acres to shoot on. Im not a stroppy trouble maker and i can see where your comming from about thr search on google for free shooting etc. But just because i am new to pigeon watch one of many internet forums doesnt mean your not compitent.

But just because i am new to pigeon watch one of many internet forums doesnt mean your not compitent.

Very true but I guess in this case the OP was using the membership and posts almost like a CV and if this stacked up then you'd make the interview stage. It's often difficult but a line has to be drawn somewhere and the OP felt that the best way to create a robust shortlist was to employ this filtering system.

Bearing in mind the position was filled over three months ago I wouldn't get too offended about the selection criteria if I were you, but instead look to build up a credible reputation that puts you in good stead for any future opportunities that may spring up around your neck of the woods.

One question though and I'm not looking to wind you up here, it's a genuine question...can you put pellet on pellet at 75 yards with your S410?

I have done so much target shooting with that gun as i do alot of decoying from a hide.i can shoot out to 75 yards with consistant pellet on pellet shots. Obviously the 20-50 are so much easier. One thing i will day though is i can do that and hit anything upto 75 yards ( unless a unexpected gust of wind) with the s410 in .177 but can i do it with the .22?? No chance.

All in all u some like a lad that's trying his hardest to get permissions, I don't think it's attitude. But there are small things that show a lack of field craft. The op was for shooting at a riding school, you line up a shot at 75yards with a sub12ftld air rifle a small gust of wind then you have a wonded rabbit running. The next morning the kids go on the field with the hourse finds the dead rabbit. **** hits the fan and no one has the permission. Sub 12 air rifle max 30-40 yards there is no need to push it out to 75!

Edited by Scottoj18

I will only take a long shot in dead flat wind as like anyone i get no enjoyment out of wounding any animal. Its often that i wound an animal though. If your confident with the shot then take it. Woman on youtube han hit 200 yard targets with a sub 12 hw100. Its all about practice.

I now that at 30 yards with sub 12 there's more than the power I need for a clean kill. I have come across far to manny rabbits with old pellets only skin deep because of poor field craft and shoot choices. When the pellet exits the barrel at 12ftlb, over distances and time the engry in the pellet reduces. at 60-75 yards I believe there is not the engry for a clean kill, try a pellet test places rabbit heads out at different distances and see what the pellet does I think you would be surprised.

You need 4 ft lbs to kill a rabbit. I have had them doing back flips with a long range headshot. I even discusted it with the firearms officer. He said there is no point i n me having a fac air rifle. As sub 12 obviously does the job and the next stage is firearms. Hense why i am putting in for .22lr , .22wmr, and .17hmr

75 yards on live quarry with a non-FAC air rifle is pushing it too far in my opinion. You may well be able to shoot ten head shots out of ten on rabbits in windy or still conditions and I'm not calling you out on that (others may well do though) it's not me you're shooting with or on my permissions so it's no skin off my nose.

It's not even worth the risk of wounding the animal when a bit of fieldcraft will take you into 30-40 yard ranges where shots are more appropriate. I'm surprised if your FEO said you should bother going in for a .22lr if he's confident you're taking rabbits at long range consistently enough with your air rifle. It hardly seems worth the expense or space in your cabinet

75 yards on live quarry with a non-FAC air rifle is pushing it too far in my opinion...

....it's not me you're shooting with or on my permissions so it's no skin off my nose.

:good: .

I'd like to see the 10/10 though. There are some pretty tasty shots on here and I predict not one of them would be confident on pulling this off. I couldn't and I am pellet on pellet at 35 metres.

I'd like to see the 10/10 though. There are some pretty tasty shots on here and I predict not one of them would be confident on pulling this off. I couldn't and I am pellet on pellet at 35 metres.

I couldn't do it, but then I've got a .22lr and I'm happy to creep up a bit which is the most exciting part in my opinion.

why,,,why,,,why do people think its macho to say they constantly shoot rabbits at 50+ yrds with sub 12ftlb air rifles ??? ???

get a grip,, 40 yrds should be your maximum, no wonder we all get tarnished with the same old ****,,

firstly if it was my perm that needed anyone shooting on it , then you have failed, pellet on pellet at 75 yrds my ****,

its no wonder you don't have permissions to shoot over and 75yrds with sub 12ftlb,,,,, no wonder he said don't apply for a fac, he obviously realises you are not an honest person,

and regards the irresponsible bint taking 100yrd pops with her hw100 , well that just says it all,, its no wonder idiots Now think its ok to shoot rabbits at silly distances with clowns posting stupid videos for people to try and copy,

it makes my blood boil,, I,m going for a cold shower to cool down

Evo

Likewise, I can shoot one hole groups at 35 yards but even inside rested I don't think I could get much better than 3" groups at 75, and the pellet drop will be about a foot. Sorry for continuing this dead thread btw.

Likewise, I can shoot one hole groups at 35 yards but even inside rested I don't think I could get much better than 3" groups at 75, and the pellet drop will be about a foot. Sorry for continuing this dead thread btw.

now there is an honest man,

I as you know have done tight groups at distances over 40yrds ,but I still would not take a risky shot on a rabbit over 40yrds , if I,m honest then the very max would be 45yrds but ONLY if conditions were absolutely perfect,

I once tried shooting a cup at 80yrds which I had put on a fence , it took me a couple of shots to get it right, I had to aim 7 milldots up, and could only see the top of the cup through my scope, the conditions where flat calm, did I hit it everytime ??? . NO

that's why I would NEVER shoot rabbits at silly distances

shoot the distances you can put tight groups to

atb Evo

Tom

What confuses me slightly is you coming here slagging people off for writing "pointless posts" yet you're doing the same.

No one here ever suggested that writing on an internet forum is any substitute for being outside learning field craft. What it does do however is allow someone who is offering shooting permission the chance to get an idea about what someone is like by the way they have posted for the last few years.

I'm one of the people shooting at the riding school and I'm very grateful for the opportunity, it was a very kind offer by Mongrel who's a top bloke. In a similar situation I'd do exactly the same.

I wouldn't expect anything joining a shooting forum, finding a thread like this and replying. Why should it be that easy? I had to wait years to find permission.

As for the pellet on pellet at 75M, you could be winning pretty much any level competition with shooting like that. You should post some videos.

Tom

I have never seen someone commit so whole-heartedly to shooting themselves in the foot! My R10, running at 11.4 ft/lb with JSB exacts would produce 4.9ft/lb of energy @ 75yds, and I'm sorry, but i just don't believe that's enough. It's a superbly accurate gun, and with a tench reg it's extremely consistent, but you're talking a huge drop even with a ,177; the margin for error is massive.

Now though, your attitude would be the biggest thing stopping anyone wanting to shoot with you. No one should assume a God-given right to shooting permissions. They're hard to get hold of because, when it comes to guns, people need to know you're responsible and not going to endanger anyone or anything on their land. In the absence of knowing you face to face, numbers of posts and the quality of those posts is the best barometer available to people...