Keeping a shotgun and rifle in same cabinet

30-6

There is no law saying you have to keep bolts separate, only ammo, although it is good practice to separate them. Some police forces ask you to keep them separate but what's the difference with keeping the bolt with the rifle and having a semi-automatic?

No problem at all keeping rifles and shotguns in the same cabinet as long as the cabinet has been inspected and approaved by your FEO. Obviously the rifle ammunition has to be stored in a seperate ammunition safe but even though I see it as good practice I don't think there is anything written about the rifle bolts having to be stored seperately from the rifles.

Dekers you may not approve but that was the police requirement the fact she was responsible for the security of rifles at work will have influenced their thought process it shows all your preconceived ideas are not hard and fast.

Your wife cannot have free access to your FAC guns unless she has a FAC with them appropriately listed. What she does for a living doesn't change that, nor does any police thought process chance firearms legislation.

That is not a pre conceived idea, it is legal firearms fact. As CharlieT pointed out, unless you have some additional security installed to stop her getting access to your FAC tools.

If your region don't know the law, are sloppy, or just plain incompetent doesn't change anything.

Edited by Dekers

No problem at all keeping rifles and shotguns in the same cabinet as long as the cabinet has been inspected and approaved by your FEO. Obviously the rifle ammunition has to be stored in a seperate ammunition safe but even though I see it as good practice I don't think there is anything written about the rifle bolts having to be stored seperately from the rifles.

This has been debated many a time, there is no requirement for the Cabinet to be inspected and approved by your FEO, security is your responsibility. The fact is many will flex their muscles and make demands.

I have 3 cabinets, have moved house several times, bought and sold cabinets and fixed/sited them as appropriate, and to this day the police still don't know where one of mine is located and have NEVER, as such, inspected or approved my cabinets. Last renewal a Senior FEO came round as I have so many guns and we just went to two of my cabinets to double check serial numbers/calibres, not once did he check any part of the Cabinet or fittings!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Your wife cannot have free access to your FAC guns unless she has a FAC with them appropriately listed. What she does for a living doesn't change that, nor does any police thought process chance firearms legislation.

That is not a pre conceived idea, it is legal firearms fact. As CharlieT pointed out, unless you have some additional security installed to stop her getting access to your FAC tools.

If your region don't know the law, are sloppy, or just plain incompetent doesn't change anything.

+1

Unfortunately that is my understanding of the law too. It sounds like your force were encouraging you to break the law which is far from ideal. Them thinking it's ok doesn't mean you won't get into deep trouble if for some reason this activity was exposed to the wrong person. You would still be breaking the law as your local force don't make the rules. :/

Unfortunately that is my understanding of the law too. It sounds like your force were encouraging you to break the law which is far from ideal. Them thinking it's ok doesn't mean you won't get into deep trouble if for some reason this activity was exposed to the wrong person. You would still be breaking the law as your local force don't make the rules. :/

It was 3 different forces not just one FEO. I was very surprised when I was explaining to the first FEO where I was fitting the new box and he said no need just remove the bolt so it's useless and lock it with the ammo with time I got more guns so bought an box but I'd move 3 times in that period. Eventually got my own RFD cert and solved all the issues but for 18 month we shared the 1 box

Just shows how daft and clueless the FEO's can be! I can see where they're coming from and I can see how you viewed it (a wife with a sgc is no risk when given access to your firearms) but the law is the law and that's that!

You didn't get in any bother over it and are no longer doing it so at the end of the day it's not an issue. :good:

It was 3 different forces not just one FEO. I was very surprised when I was explaining to the first FEO where I was fitting the new box and he said no need just remove the bolt so it's useless and lock it with the ammo with time I got more guns so bought an box but I'd move 3 times in that period. Eventually got my own RFD cert and solved all the issues but for 18 month we shared the 1 box

It just goes to show that not all licensing authorities are competent.You could have asked your FEO if he considered removing the bolt rendered your rifle useless why there was a need to lock it up! I doubt the theft of a boltless rifle would be considered trivial by those same authorities who stated it was 'useless' and ok to allow access to it by an unauthorised person. It makes as much of a mockery of legislation as allowing someone without FAC access to your cabinet.