Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all,

I'd promised to take my lad out on Saturday morning but with one thing and another I couldn't get out. After an hour of asking last night I said we'd go out for a quick walk before he had to go to school this morning! Glad I did

We had been out for about 20 minutes before Ryan said dad I can hear geese, geese I said no don't think so boy! But dad was wrong! A skein of about 20 Canada's were approaching. I reached for the call and was gutted as in my rush this morning is left them on the kitchen table! They flew about 100yards straight passed us, so I thought I'd give mouth calling a try. To my surprise after honking a few times they turned they crossed from right to left and the end bird was just in range, swung through and it dropped dead.

Sent the pup for the retreive and it took a few sniffs from him and a bit of encouragement from me he brought it to hand.

40CE8A1E-3A97-472E-B239-B08BBA2CE359-278

Well done Andy & what a great pic & hope the goose will eat well lets us know how the first one of the season tastes :) , & good to see one of tomorrows up & coming young fowlers out .

ATB Pole Star

Advice from an old man of the marshes - Quit now while you are ahead - It can only get worse unless you start knocking down two at a time.

LOL Grandalf, that made me smile but then again, why would he quit........would you miss the sun rising? the sun sets? all the sound that you hear when you sit in a muddy puddle like peppa pig, I have realized that, yes its nice to carry home the morning prize or evening prize but its great just to sit there and watch the time go by....infact I get so deep into it that they have to send messages on the phone to tell me, Mark there is ducks at 15 yards from you...what you doing.....lol...zzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzz

Shame Kent and Wildfowler .250 was not with me this morning!!!! Took a mate after Geese allowing 300-400 to flight through UN-SHOT onto there feed two fields away I moved to intercept the last few Skeins. NOW the interesting bit these Grey' and Canada's was crossing tall trees putting them 45-50yrds high first Skein over mate killed one me to next I killed a R/L he then a R/L after Both taking 6 each we left them alone So how do I confidently know there hight Easy a goose showing 1" either side of a sbs 12ga IS 45yrds if using a o/u turn your barrels side ways and TRUST ME it is a proven FACT my mate used a 12ga and 1/2 choke 3" Gamebore 36 ha STEEL 3shot me 20ga 3" Home Load 15/16oz STEEL 3 Shot I had 7 shots my mate 12 but he also shot 4 Mallard Long winded story but TRUE so you pair just because YOU CAN'T do it PLEASE DON'T go disbelieving people who can oh and before you start on me about using 20ga plenty Gents off here and Other Forums have seen me do. My Adice is learn to shoot and STOP knocking those that can do what you can't Have you ever just perhaps like Many I've met over 40+ years Fowling YOUR 50yrds is 65-70 ??? And that's the problem As Anser2 tried to point out I only try to help NOT to say I'm better again plenty have got there First Goose me as they listened. Enjoy your shooting using whatever you feel is BEST suited to YOU :) :)

Please lets end this I feel you think you are 100% correct, yet at the same time I know you are not so we wont agree. It perhaps comes down to personal range estimation your 50 against my 40 is only ten steps forward and in fowling all is visual estimation. Insulting shooting of someone you have never shot with is just plain daft and rather shows you up

Please lets end this I feel you think you are 100% correct, yet at the same time I know you are not so we wont agree. It perhaps comes down to personal range estimation your 50 against my 40 is only ten steps forward and in fowling all is visual estimation. Insulting shooting of someone you have never shot with is just plain daft and rather shows you up

Well said kent! :good: i think stalkerboydy thinks hes better that he really is

Kent End what !!! I have not insulted ANYONE in fact IF you read correctly it's you been doing the insulting and the disbelieving and YES I am right :-) :-) Now back on thread Took a 72yr young friend out for goose tonight Did not go to plan as a dog walker jumped the 500+ Geese but pleased to say my friend had a shot killing a cracking Grey I also got lucky and got the Tail ender. Pink's are now about!!!! Those Those that know me will know the area I'm talking about

Well said kent! :good: i think stalkerboydy thinks hes better that he really is

Get a grip. And a life bin dealing with disbelieving people like your self all me life. Perhaps you to as Kent should learn to read and understand posts CORRECTLY just had to take some SLEEPING TABLETS mind I don't think your get that bit :):) ****

Get a grip. And a life bin dealing with disbelieving people like your self all me life. Perhaps you to as Kent should learn to read and understand posts CORRECTLY just had to take some SLEEPING TABLETS mind I don't think your get that bit :):) ****

I believe this tread isnt for cocky stuck up people like yourself. The way you are talking to people on this tread isnt very respectful! Your acting like you know everything!

And before on a earlier post you were bosting about you 40+ year experience?! And that i need to learn? i'll have you know this is my 42 nd year fowling. No need to bost mate no one likes a cocky fowler!

I believe this tread isnt for cocky stuck up people like yourself. The way you are talking to people on this tread isnt very respectful! Your acting like you know everything!

And before on a earlier post you were bosting about you 40+ year experience?! And that i need to learn? i'll have you know this is my 42 nd year fowling. No need to bost mate no one likes a cocky fowler!

Last reply to you and Kent ( 1 ) I ain't Cocky ( 2 ) I Don't boast and IF you had read Anser2 reply I've only tried to HELP But like Millions of human being I DON'T like being accused of talking Bullpoop or it being insinuated that I'm a liar or can't do as I've stated.

had a couple of flights so far this season , I can't do much as my hand is in plaster but still managed a few ...

2913inland009.jpg

038.jpg

035.jpg

017.jpg

Well done. Your shooting better than me, even with your hands in plaster.

How did you hurt your hand?

I'll be out on kirton again this weekend. Hopefully I'll manage to hit something.

I've seen teal, mallard and shoveler amd o ly connected with one teal.

I think I heard a pintail aswell but not sure.

Hope your hand gets better soon.

That looks like a Hawaiian Goose (Ne Ne) in the second and third pictures, in fact it is. An escapee from a wildfowl collection?

Oh, and an Aylesbury :lol: .

2rrtn54.jpg

had a couple of flights so far this season , I can't do much as my hand is in plaster but still managed a few ...

2913inland009.jpg

038.jpg

035.jpg

017.jpg

Edited by Penelope

A small Canada alongside; a bird of the year? It's face patch looks a little buff and the neck brownish in places.

When I first looked at the 2nd and 3rd pic I thought ne negoose but on looking again it looks to big for a ne ne goose. i got a pair in a collection and there no where near the size of a Canada. *** a ne ne Canada hybrid

Edited by Penelope

Good shooting bud, hope that isn't someone's prized aylesbury duck in the first pic :) is the goose on the right a Canada greylag hybrid?

Well done,

You have shot one of the rarest geese in the world, and an Aylesbury? Quite an accomplishment only a couple of weeks into the season. I wonder what you will have bagged by the end of February, a couple of Great Auks and an Aberdeen Angus??

Lol

:lol::lol: @ scolopax

Washwildfowler, not having a dig at you for shooting the Ne Ne, it would have been difficult to pick out amongst the Canadas (distant relatives) and certainly not expected. Oh, and well done for shooting the white one, it would only have diluted the wild gene pool eventually, and there's enough 'Heinz Mallard' about.

Well done,

You have shot one of the rarest geese in the world, and an Aylesbury? Quite an accomplishment only a couple of weeks into the season. I wonder what you will have bagged by the end of February, a couple of Great Auks and an Aberdeen Angus??

Lol

Edited by Penelope

I have never seen a Canada looking like that, I cannot say it is or isn't for that reason alone I shouldn't have shot. I have been studying the bird books from first post being seen and am still no wiser. Its hard to indentify birds belly up and dead and unnaturally set up I find.

I too think white mallards or mongrels should be culled out and as long as they contain Mallard genes all should be 100% legal (I think) the issue is spotting the difference in say a juvey Shell duck and a mongrel mallard, they too can be white underneath and lack the destinctive beak colour. Its a bit of a can of worms really " if you aint 100% positive best not to squeeze the trigger"

Our sport is always at risk from mis-identification of legitimate quarry, especially early season. when you take into account the truly unusual visitor turning up the fowler of today needs to err on the side of caution constantly. The consequences could be dramatic

Can anyone lead me to proper reference of grey geese interbreeding with black geese? Although I have seen the two mix socially and even young taken on as their own, I have yet to see a genuine cross personally.

Hybridization between Canadas and Greys does happen, I have seen the resulting progeny with both parents in the past on the Lea Valley gravel pits, odd looking things, with a voice between the two and quite distinctive.

The WAGBI books, New Wildfowler in the 60's & 70's have a full documented list of ducks and geese that hybridize.

I have never seen a Canada looking like that, I cannot say it is or isn't for that reason alone I shouldn't have shot. I have been studying the bird books from first post being seen and am still no wiser. Its hard to indentify birds belly up and dead and unnaturally set up I find.

I too think white mallards or mongrels should be culled out and as long as they contain Mallard genes all should be 100% legal (I think) the issue is spotting the difference in say a juvey Shell duck and a mongrel mallard, they too can be white underneath and lack the destinctive beak colour. Its a bit of a can of worms really " if you aint 100% positive best not to squeeze the trigger"

Our sport is always at risk from mis-identification of legitimate quarry, especially early season. when you take into account the truly unusual visitor turning up the fowler of today needs to err on the side of caution constantly. The consequences could be dramatic

Can anyone lead me to proper reference of grey geese interbreeding with black geese? Although I have seen the two mix socially and even young taken on as their own, I have yet to see a genuine cross personally.

Edited by Penelope