Choke and Cartridge??

cjm

I usually use 1\2 choke and steel with Gamebore 3 inch mammoths in no 3 for small and medium sized duck and go up to Remmington 3.5 inch Sportsman no 2 for flighting highish mallard and full choke ( afterchoke).

However I do not shoot well with my Browning S\A once it gets dark, so for shooting all duck over flashes when most of the shots are going to be in the 25-30 yard bracket , I use a side by side 3 inch gun and use steel RIO 34 gr 2 3\4 inch load of no 3.

Half choke all the time with mammoth 36g 3's for all duck.

Its way too easy to get wound up in what choke you are using, if you find a choke size you like (i find 1/2 covers most situations out fowling as you never really know what you are going to be doing) and get a cartridge that patterns well with it (in my case 36g 3's from gamebore) you will shoot more duck, simply through consistency and not having to worry about another variable that is choke/cartridge combo.

Well, actually it isn't, but it has more meat in the barrels than any 12 I have seen, including my friend's steel proofed 3" Silver Pigeon, and I have used, with no ill effects the Express Supreme steel, 2 3/4 32g 4's. My goose shooting was done pre steel, so only used lead for them previously.

60's Midland Gun Company s/s 3".

Provided your guns proofed for steel and has 3" chambers, yes, or Remington nitro steel...

Well, actually it isn't, but it has more meat in the barrels than any 12 I have seen, including my friend's steel proofed 3" Silver Pigeon, and I have used, with no ill effects the Express Supreme steel, 2 3/4 32g 4's. My goose shooting was done pre steel, so only used lead for them previously.

60's Midland Gun Company s/s 3".

Then I would play it safe and use either bismuth, ITM or TMX..

I use a variety of carts from Eley and Gamebore 32g 4s ,32g 3s. 36g 3s all through a kicks high flyer modified choke.

For high duck and low geese Gamebore 36g or 42g1s for geese 42g BB Mamoths.

The Kicks choke shoots really good patterns with steel BB as far as I can consistently shoot.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I have in a full rhino extended , and an extra full briely extended in my 425 and they stay in now all year pigeons through to geese on the forshore I use steel 3 and 2s for duck and bbb for pinks and heavy shot when they are a bit high in my choke barrel ounce and half in 2s . works for me. jules

think it all depends on the bore but generaly 655 is extra extra full and I think if im wrong sorry mate just read this again 705 in ten gauge think that's extra full.

Cheers. Still a bit concerned that the .655 is a bit too tight for the Xtrema. Have read one or two stories of choke bulges from American forums. Got one shot off this morning using Eley lightning 3s. Gun still ok.