Rolex Explorer II or Submariner?

Dirty Harry

If you had the choice between just these two which would you go for and why.

I'm thinking of the white face explorer or the stainless date sub probably in black.

Not interested in any other makes just these please and anyone who has or has had one your opinions please.

They would be the latest current model.

Thanks

Harry

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My submariner 2 Tone with its blue face is a real stunning watch in my opinion , got mine 3 years ago and as you may already know the price has shot up a few thousand.

The gold and silver has its usual scratches of everyday wear and tear but it still looks mint to me :) I don't see why people buy so expensive watches and never wear them day in day out . Buy one which ever you think looks best on you and make sure it's from a reputable dealer :good:

Neither.

The explorer is an absolute "no no" and shouldn't be on your list at all.

The sub, well everyone has one these days including my trainee at work, but if you buy smart you'll not lose any money so you get a swanky watch for nothing.

Have you considered a bi metallic GMT? Distinctively Rolex but different (or rather not a sub and so relatively good value).

If you don't mind getting on a plane or a train, you can save a fortune by buying from Europe / the States - they don't have quite the same love affair we do for chunky Rolex sports watches. Have a look on Chrono24 and you'll see.

You may even start looking at the Daytonas - again everyone has one and you have to question where the value is in stainless / bi metallic watch that is £10k+ and doesn't actually contain any particularly precious or special metals or indeed a special movement. Get a date function with whatever watch you buy - the date function seriously affects second hand value and functionality.

if was going to go for rolex then the bi met gmt also get my vote

i have an IWC yearning at present but will have to wait a while, also whats serving costs and times like on Rolex my Omega is £450 and takes 12 weeks at moment :sad1:

Edited by maxus77

Get yourself a classic vintage omega seamaster, from the 1960s or early 1970s. There are some good top rated sellers on ebay who cater nicely for this market. Some of the watches are stunning and timeless, fully serviced and guaranteed and most are under a grand.

I love the simple classic look in a watch, leather strap, no chunkiness and no interest in dials and too many numbers.

una.

i know you said your not keen on brietling but in switzerland they call rolex the taxi drivers watch cos they all have them go for a brietling :good: much classier.

Errr no.

Brietling is the new Tag.

In Essex (the capital of bling) we have seen a massive swing towards big block bling sports watches. Subs are on the way out (too common), Daytonas are getting up there (normally worn by the ladies), plenty of Panerai and a recent trend towards the AP Royal Oak Sports. But, it's sports watches all the way.

For my 2p, the Patek Aquanaut.

Edited by Mungler

if was going to go for rolex then the bi met gmt also get my vote

i have an IWC yearning at present but will have to wait a while, also whats serving costs and times like on Rolex my Omega is £450 and takes 12 weeks at moment :sad1:

I don't mind the buying price and would have a Submariner tomorrow if I didn't think SWMBO would go ballistic. But £450 and 12 weeks for a service? That's extracting the urine!

Have had a bi-metallic sub date for 21 years and it's been fine. My brother has a black face Explorer II, also been a good watch.

As with fashion, it's a personal thing. For many years I wanted a Titanium Omega Seamaster. Ended up with a Brietling Chrono Avenger instead and I swap every few weeks.

Try them both on and decide which you like best.

I also like the Patek Philippe brand but being a chunky chap, they do not suit me.

£500 is the going rate for a service on most good manual watches but it's worth it.

When I bought my sub they were £2,800 to replace it now is around £9,000 I think. Not a bad investment.

I have an Omega Seamaster and i always thought i would get a Sub next, but i don't think they are very attractive now, i know they are the same but i think other companies now produce better looking watches and they are very common.

For me now it would have to be a Omega Planet Ocean a great looking watch.

17331048_1_4601_zps2f5937e8.png

But a choice between the two you have listed i would go for a Sub (or a Milgauss)

also whats serving costs and times like on Rolex my Omega is £450 and takes 12 weeks at moment :sad1:

Where are you getting it serviced?

I have an automatic Omega I got as an engagement present that keep stopping (it isn't abused) and no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of it.

Nial.

Where are you getting it serviced?

I have an automatic Omega I got as an engagement present that keep stopping (it isn't abused) and no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of it.

Nial.

Omega directly only place i would send it too keep the waterproof gaurentee, http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/service-prices

and this what they do http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/complete-maintenance-service

Sorry to hijack OP thread :)

Edited by maxus77

I don't mind the buying price and would have a Submariner tomorrow if I didn't think SWMBO would go ballistic. But £450 and 12 weeks for a service? That's extracting the urine!

I've just had the wife's Rolex serviced. Yes it was 12 weeks and £600 as it needed a new winder (apparently it was worn).

The service on my discovery was cheaper at a main agents!

Is it just me that doesn't get it? My phone tells the time, why spend the big bucks on a wrist clock?

No mate I'm with you, men with jewellery & bling?...... its just wrong, I feel like a Tw*t with an iphone never mind a watch, earrings, gold chains, nipple rings, prince albert,..

I have to respect other peoples opinions & I do but such things are just not me.

(I am a hypocrite I don't mind cuff links)

No mate I'm with you, men with jewellery & bling?...... its just wrong, I feel like a Tw*t with an iphone never mind a watch, earrings, gold chains, nipple rings, prince albert,..

I have to respect other peoples opinions & I do but such things are just not me.

(I am a hypocrite I don't mind cuff links)

I wear a quailty watch, like a quailty car it is very well engineered using top materials and craftmanship. If i had the money i would have a big watch collection and drive Aston Martin.I don't do earings my only jewellery is my wedding ring and prince albert :sick: