First truffles of the year

FalconFN

They aren't the famous black truffles but Burgundy or winter truffles, which aren't quite a pungent but still have that strong distinctive smell.

They grow under beech and oak trees in open woodland over chalky or lime soil.

A couple of years ago I trained my cocker to sniff them out but she seems to have forgotten how to do it this year and was more interested in eating rabbit poo. I found these by scrabbling around under a few trees so I'll get back on top of the training and try again in October when they have a stronger scent.

Edit: Burgundy truffles can retail for anything upto £1 per gram and I tried to sell some to a local restaurant a while ago. We agreed a price of 50p per gram so I collected 400 grams, but they changed their minds and I ended up with far too many and no cash. I just collect what I will use now.

Edited by FalconFN

They have a very distinctive smell that you can't quite explain. It is pungent and earthy at the same time as being heady and exotic and, without getting all Jilly Gouldon, intoxicating and repulsive at the same time. They don't have much in the way of taste (sort of nutty, earthy ish) but give a bit of extra ooph to eggs or sauces. Basically I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on them but they are well worth finding for free.

They have a very distinctive smell that you can't quite explain. It is pungent and earthy at the same time as being heady and exotic and, without getting all Jilly Gouldon, intoxicating and repulsive at the same time. They don't have much in the way of taste (sort of nutty, earthy ish) but give a bit of extra ooph to eggs or sauces. Basically I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on them but they are well worth finding for free.

Thanks...thats good :)

U.

Dogs don't naturally react to truffle scent so If you want to train a dog to find truffles here are some basic techniques:

Smother small potatoes in truffle oil (you can get this at supermarkets) go in your garden and put them on top of a bit of sausage, or some other treat, and get your dog to find it. Do this several times in different places with plenty of praise - the idea is that you want your dog to associate truffles with food.

After a few days you can put the potatoes around the garden but without the treat and when they show interest in the potato reward with a treat from your pocket. Repeat this over several days until the dog expects a treat when they find a 'truffle'.

At this point you want to hold back the treat and the dog will hopefully go back to the 'truffle' and nuzzle it, praise and give the treat.

After a while you can bury the 'truffles' a few cm deep in sand or soft soil and get the dog to find it without digging. When they can do this try in a wood and take plenty of treats.

If you don't have a dog or can't be bothered to train one you can find them by going to a likely spot - under a beech tree in open woodland and over chalk/lime, and root around in the leaf litter around a meter from the trunk and you might get lucky. Don't decimate the place but only try a few areas as they don't like being disturbed and won't grow back in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Round here they are more common than Field Mushrooms...I had a Clumber once that could walk ( He never ran much) straight to them within about 30 seconds of being let off in one Beech wood.

Local restaurants didn't want them particularly so I gave up collecting them when the dog died...still have a few dried ones in a jar.

Distinctive smell not unlike your underpants after a 96 hour carp session.

Brown sauce tastes better on scrambled egg imo.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

They aren't the famous black truffles but Burgundy or winter truffles, which aren't quite a pungent but still have that strong distinctive smell.

A couple of years ago I trained my cocker to sniff them out but she seems to have forgotten how to do it this year and was more interested in eating rabbit poo. I found these by scrabbling around under a few trees so I'll get back on top of the training and try again in October when they have a stronger scent.

Edit: Burgundy truffles can retail for anything upto £1 per gram and I tried to sell some to a local restaurant a while ago. We agreed a price of 50p per gram so I collected 400 grams, but they changed their minds and I ended up with far too many and no cash. I just collect what I will use now.

The Beech woods in the Chilterns in Buckinghamshire must have them although I never searched for them were I grew up , but I would think conditions would be near perfect with all the chalk & beech ? .

Come on RossEM pull your finger out & get looking for me , I have always wanted too try them :lol: .

How far down do they grow ? is it just a case of raking just below the leaf mold or are they further down ? . ATB Pole Star

• 3 weeks later...

Once in North Italy we tasted the excellent truffles from that region Piemont.
We had been invited by a truffle hunter and found out that the circumstances (pH > 7, beech and oak trees) a pretty much the same like in our region.
Unfortunately we didn't try to train our dog and forgot the idea.
Now the boss of my girlfriend started collection truffles in our region and was immediately quite succesfull.

16258145xw.jpg

They are way beyond the seldom white and extrem aromatic truffles but taste very nice and I reccon that it is fun to collect them