Purchasing sloes

Dazza9t9

Hey all

I am hoping to have my first go at making sloe gin this year however all the bushes I have found so far have been bare.

Where is the best place to buy sloes on line in the event I can't find any?

Any tried and tested suppliers?

Thank you in advance.

Oh that is great news.

Let me have a other walk around to see if I can locate some and if not I will drop you a line. (I don't want to deplete your stores if I can locate some with a little effort)

Don't be daft. Just PM me if you want some dropping off, they need using and the plus factor is when you thaw them out the skins are split so you won't need to ***** each one with a pin!

im also doing the sloe gin this year going foraging at the weekend also collecting rose hips for syrup yum yum....

any one done anything with rowen berries ??? i hear the chutneys a good one

Hey Kid.

Is it reasonably safe to pick rose hips?

What I mean is,are they easily recognised and not similar to something dodgy.

I have seen a good crop of hips this year and have thought of making syrup but worried there may be similar looking hips that are wronguns.

I made elderberry syrup and that is lovely.

Bryan.

double check!!!

but im pretty sure all rose hips are edible.. do a Google search to id them so you no what your looking at.. you will find mainly the slimmer ones with the tuft at the end but you can come across the bigger more rounded ones both are fine...

take a look on downdsizer.net iv just joined and its full of info...

i make elder jam and a sauce for venison...

Hey Kid.

Is it reasonably safe to pick rose hips?

What I mean is,are they easily recognised and not similar to something dodgy.

I have seen a good crop of hips this year and have thought of making syrup but worried there may be similar looking hips that are wronguns.

I made elderberry syrup and that is lovely.

Bryan.

how do you make elderberry syrup i got tonnes on my permission and is it the same as cordial

Hi Johny.

The elderberry syrup recipe I used was on you tube.

I found by googling.

It was a chap called Hedge chef.

Dead easy,ripe berries,sugar,water.

Really nice on vanilla icecream or added to stewed blackberries.

If you google ederberry syrup you will see hundreds of recipes and hundreds of uses.

Bryan.

There are literally tons on the bushes outside my house. Big, blue and lovely! If you get down this way, over the border into East Riding, (I'm in Holme on Spalding Moor), you can fill your boots (or bags, buckets etc.)

PM me if you want more details.

Mike.

careful you dont get mixed up between sloes and wild plums........they look very similar but are a slightly different taste.............2 or 3 years ago someone gave me a slug of sloe whiskey.......very nice....you can only make that when the sloes are green apparently.....i put the rind of a tanjerine in my sloe mix......everybody has their own version of it.

Been a bad year for sloes here and plumbs! surprisingly the Damsons have done real well so this year its damson vodka.

Au contraire monsieur!! Have had the best sloe, plum and damson season here for years - I've done 7 litres of gin so far and still they are on the trees.

Having said all that, four years ago I bought a load off the bay for a pretty good price. DON'T use dried/dehydrated ones though - they don't work

tis a good year for sloes down south millions where I live. HOWEVER I have always been told never to pick them until the frosts have started as that is when their taste developes. is that correct ? or just an old wives tale ?

You need the skins to split (or pierce them) to let the juice & flavour out, hence leaving them until after frost. I just freeze mine first and it does the same trick.

As long as they are a deep blue/purple and reasonably soft go for it. We've a good crop up here too this year - making up for zip last year - so I've picked mine :yes: .