How fit do you need to be?

Frenchieboy

Following my previous post about a "Wildfowling Taster Day" I need to ask another question in order to possibly save the time and efforts of those that have very generously offered to help. In many of the replies that I have had there has been a mention of the need for relative fitness due to the heavy and sometimes long walks along the foreshore that might be necessary while out wildfowling.

Maybe some of our more experienced wildfowlers could explain roughly what level of fitness they feel is needed for a "safe and comfortable" days wildfowling on the foreshores please.

It depends where you go shooting really doesn't it. Some places have a sand/ light mud foreshore and wouldn't require any great fitness and other places like the wash are filled with creeks of waste deep mud and they do require a bit more work. I wouldn't say you need to be an ultra marathon runner but as long as you don't get too out of steam doing basic day to day things like walking up long hills/stairs or just going on long walks I'm sure you will be fine!

As above really, it depends where you're shooting. On my marsh to get to a 'productive' area, you need to walk 5 miles minimum (allthough that is there and back) and 10 miles to get to the furthest points. The walk wouldn't be too bad if the terrain was concrete, but it's a lot harder on thick mud!

There are of course areas that are closer and easier to get to, but the shooting isn't great there. Although you will see birds, they rarely present a shot.

The Wash is a nightmare if you don't know the good crossing points you can get knackered in a few yards.

Otherwise going with someone with good knowledge will help to make the day easier. A good level of fitness is definately a help and losing a few pound will stop you sinking so fast in the deep mud.

ATB

Rich

Following my previous post about a "Wildfowling Taster Day" I need to ask another question in order to possibly save the time and efforts of those that have very generously offered to help. In many of the replies that I have had there has been a mention of the need for relative fitness due to the heavy and sometimes long walks along the foreshore that might be necessary while out wildfowling.

Maybe some of our more experienced wildfowlers could explain roughly what level of fitness they feel is needed for a "safe and comfortable" days wildfowling on the foreshores please.

How unfit are you?

This was not foreshore shooting but I worked it out the other day on a few hours pigeon shooting and it was a total of a mile with all the kit, including 50 pigeons on the last trip back...

So would you carry 20 flex coys, 100 rounds, 17 amp battery, 5 poles, 2 nets, seat, rotary, flapper+ battery, flask of tea 2 dead birds for the rotary..

Oh and the gun....

TEH

Some spots very fit. The rule is if somebody says hard going they mean it, The Royal Marines use estuarine mud to really test fitness levels. I know other spots were its a doddle, though shooting a few splashes etc on evening flight on well established marsh isn't really a "taste of wildfowling". A word of caution don't do it if you have any doubts as rescue isn't so straight forwards, stick to a few flashes or easier locations. I should say a day out wildfowling proper is equal to a day out proper hill stalking without someone to carry your gun and or an argo to drive around in. I only know one guy over sixty who still goes out to the harder spots

All depends on where you go. Some marshes are like walking through long grass and others can be full of creeks and mud, othera are somewhere inbetween.

So the question is - how fit are you?

If your a royal marine and you like mud yje find a muddy Marsh.

If your not fit then find a marsh with easy going access.

As for lots of kit. Only carry what you need.

Its alright saying about lugging batteries and pigeon magnets across fields when going pigeon shooting but your not you going wildfowling.

6 deeks , flask , gun and carts will be enough. Obviously compass and torch and other safety gear is worth taking but you dont need to raid your local rfd for kit.

What I mean is only do what you feel is comfortable to you.

Shame you not nearer to the wash. I wouldn't mind showing you some wildfowling.

Have fun on your trip and let is know how it goes.

If your ever near the fens let me know and I'll take you to see some of the marshes around here, even if its just a walk along the sea wall.

The muddiest mud of all, up to the thighs in places.

Not called Stoke Ooze for nothing. Been out to the far islands a couple of times as a guest may years ago, loaded up with 20 deeks, flask, squibs, poles, net, gun, etc, etc, and that is one hell of a slog.

You dont no what mud is untill you try the famous stoke mud on the medway estuary as written about by the late Colin Wilock ( Town Gun)

You dont no what mud is untill you try the famous stoke mud on the medway estuary as written about by the late Colin Wilock ( Town Gun)

Well my dad said our mud is worse than your mud :P

Seriously Frenchieboy , I started shooting the wash this year and I am far from a fitness fanatic , we have only been walking a couple of miles or so at the moment so its not been too taxing.

At the end of the day it will be your first attempt so you will not be loaded down with decoys etc (if you have any sense) 15-20 cartridges will be ample for most places and you may be lucky enough to be one or two lighter on the way back .

Some marshes have splashes where decoys are worth trying others like the wash are mainly flighting , so gun, carts, flask and a game bag are about all you need.

I am sure whoever takes you out will go at your pace , just give yourself plenty of time and there is no race to walk back when the flight is finished is there.

Edited by fenboy

Stoke ooze is special.

Well my dad said our mud is worse than your mud :P

Seriously Frenchieboy , I started shooting the wash this year and I am far from a fitness fanatic , we have only been walking a couple of miles or so at the moment so its not been too taxing.

At the end of the day it will be your first attempt so you will not be loaded down with decoys etc (if you have any sense) 15-20 cartridges will be ample for most places and you may be lucky enough to be one or two lighter on the way back .

Some marshes have splashes where decoys are worth trying others like the wash are mainly flighting , so gun, carts, flask and a game bag are about all you need.

I am sure whoever takes you out will go at your pace , just give yourself plenty of time and there is no race to walk back when the flight is finished is there.

I feel it's the COLD that gets me now, you can always stop to have a break but when it's freezing cold and you have been standing in water for a couple of hours....that tests me.

Get out now Frenchieboy it will be more enjoyable.

On a side note: My nephew sent me a PM saying he had got his first geese (grey & pink) of the season yesterday wildfowling. He has been out loads of times on the Solway and it has taken him over a month to get his first birds....he has shot the marsh for over 20 years and I consider him a good shot.

My point is...If you want to shoot a goose you will find sitting behind a bale of hay far easier than going onto the marsh, and if you want to go wildfowling don't expect 50 in 1.5 hours.....but I am sure you know that.

Keep us posted.

Edited by The Ghost

Started out walking at 06:40 sat packing stuff away at truck at 20:30. Bag for the day between two was 4 Canadas and a single Widgeon that eventually evaded my dog by repeated diving in a very large coloured up gutter in the flow ( see the BASC long retrieve vid for idea what I mean about big). Maybe we walked 5 miles total (shooting two different zones) and needed those chesties in places. My shooting pal was over 20 years my junior and I think I made the comment that if he could still do this in another 20yrs I sure as heck couldn't! I think I stopped gasping for breath 3 times over the last 300 yards.

Get out there but just be honest with yourself and those who take you out. Its not the distance its the long grasses, gutters and the kit. I certainly hope to be out in another 20yrs but might be shooting the easier bits then nearer the sea wall

Edited by kent

Just be realistic and honest with yourself and whoever takes you out. A reasonable level of fitness ie the ability to walk the dogs over the fields for 4 or 5 miles, will get you out to reasonable shooting spots generally, but as said, if you have a long slog over soft marsh it will soon find your weaknesses.

You don't have to fight through waist deep gloop to go wildfowling!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Thanks for all of the replies Guys. After reading carefully through them all I have had to face reality and be totally honest with myself and admit that I really do not think that I am anywhere near fit enough to safely try wildfowling on the foreshore without holding up or spoiling the day for others.

Thanks for all of the replies Guys. After reading carefully through them all I have had to face reality and be totally honest with myself and admit that I really do not think that I am anywhere near fit enough to safely try wildfowling on the foreshore without holding up or spoiling the day for others.

pm sent

I think that is absolute rubbish mate, so many people would be happy to help you out if you wanted to shoot but needed a hand carrying your kit out there, I for one would gladly help you any time you wanted on the wash.

Please don't do yourself out of some of the most exciting shooting in the world because you feel like you aren't quite fit enough, if you want to go do it, then take the opportunity!

I think that is absolute rubbish mate, so many people would be happy to help you out if you wanted to shoot but needed a hand carrying your kit out there, I for one would gladly help you any time you wanted on the wash.

Please don't do yourself out of some of the most exciting shooting in the world because you feel like you aren't quite fit enough, if you want to go do it, then take the opportunity!

Without doubt you will be surprised how helpful some people can be when first starting out. We have all been there at some point even if it was learning the ropes with your grandad or dad like I did.

Someone will be willing to give you a helping hand. As it is in the interests of all clubs to try and gain new members.

To be honest, if you are going out mentored, then all you need is your gun.

The huge rucksacks come when you start taking nets and decoys and lines and and and....

Give it a go, but just don't take on the 6 mile walk to a distant hotspot. While the closer spots may be a bit more shot, you will at least get the flavour of what wildfowling entails.

I think some posts here may have put you off with the talk of long walks and thick mud etc. It's not all like that. I could have a decent flight with only walking 2 minutes from the car park at the marsh I frequent. Admittedly, some of the better spots may take a little while to walk, but that isn't always necessary. Also, some of the spots I go to are no worse than walking in some light rough on a golf course, with no thick mud to slow you down.

Please, don't give up without giving it a try.

I think some posts here may have put you off with the talk of long walks and thick mud etc. It's not all like that. I could have a decent flight with only walking 2 minutes from the car park at the marsh I frequent. Admittedly, some of the better spots may take a little while to walk, but that isn't always necessary. Also, some of the spots I go to are no worse than walking in some light rough on a golf course, with no thick mud to slow you down.

Please, don't give up without giving it a try.

That's very true in some areas, In the NWest though there are few (due to the tidal range in the main) were Access is easy and the only two I know are restricted on Guests arrangements