Duck predator on our ponds.

Hi all,

We raise mallard on our small shoot in North Wales. We have two ponds, one by a river and one about 500 yards up a hill from the river (provides a good duck drive).

Both ponds have islands and are about knee high in depth.

Ducks on the bottom pond were very agitated one day, and I found a headless carcase floating on the water. (See pic) The breast was peeled off completely.

post-56356-0-32419400-1381746520_thumb.jpg

This pond was abandoned by the duck and they are all on the top pond now.

I have now found two more on the top pond, again beheaded and floating, with bits of damage around the carcase.

I would suspect mink with the carcases floating on the water, but I have no experience of mink predation and would be grateful for your thoughts

We found tracks of a mink 3 years ago, and shot one. No sign since and no duck predation before this month.

Cheers,

Spitzer

U could try looking for footprints at soft muddy/sandy areas if u have any. Or build or borrow 1 of the GWCT mink rafts, leave the trap off and use to id wot it is with the footprint thing.

If ur up at dawn 1 morn a good time to catch otters moving about or hine a lamp over it, we occasionally used to get otters way up the back hill in the lamp miles away from decent sized burns must of been hunting up all the hill drains, mibee frogs or something?

If a mink there generally fairly easy to catch.

Hi

Intriguing as I have recently come across two well grown Cygnets on a lake side bank. No obvious sign of how killed but not chewed/part eaten. Ducks and other lake birds, including Canada's, still in evidence.

Mink or what?

Many thanks.

L

Hi

Intriguing as I have recently come across two well grown Cygnets on a lake side bank. No obvious sign of how killed but not chewed/part eaten. Ducks and other lake birds, including Canada's, still in evidence.

Mink or what?

Many thanks.

L

On the water or the bank? Try plucking some feathers around the back of head/neck area to see if there's any puncture marks.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I will investigate some more for footprints and get a mink raft I think. These are full grown duck as well.

Vicious little ******* if it is a mink, cleaned the breast well.

I have a few traps available if you need to borrow them

Thanks for the offer Huntsman, I have suitable traps, but I appreciate your offer.

Cheers,

Spitzer

Strange talk of head gone makes me think mink- but I haven't seen a breast eaten off like that before, get some predator control done and see what turns up

That's why I mentioned otters as they will remove heads like mink do but they will also eat the easy soft meat as well.

Edited by r1steele

Was just going to say probaly a good idea to ID wot it is first before u set any traps if u can find some footprints or droppings or get up early some morning with the bins (full moon the now with a good set u could probably spy all nite if clear) and possibly go for cage traps rather than spring if there is a chance of otters about

I have only ever seen the breasts removed like you pic by an avian predator - I was walking round our field and found a woodie - head removed and exactly like your pick.

If it wasnt in the water I would say its a Gos. You may have both a Gos and mink one kills it drops it in or near where it caught it and something drags it into the pond/eats it. Really keen to know whats doing this.

Hope it stops soon.

have you or can you get you hands on any night vision if so pop to a vantage spot so you can see the pond and watch the pond for a couple of hours after dusk and a couple of hours before light a pain in the **** but not bad when it works in your favour.

It could be a number of things killing and eating sounds daft but iv seen it on a pond i use to shoot do you get any seagulls coming to the pond now they can strip a duck breast clean on land or water

Strange talk of head gone makes me think mink- but I haven't seen a breast eaten off like that before, get some predator control done and see what turns up

Perhaps a mink has killed the duck brought it the bank for a nibble, cleared off and left the carcase then a fox has come along later and ate the breasts? I don't really know just an idea.

Was just going to say probaly a good idea to ID wot it is first before u set any traps if u can find some footprints or droppings or get up early some morning with the bins (full moon the now with a good set u could probably spy all nite if clear) and possibly go for cage traps rather than spring if there is a chance of otters about

Good idea to get a positive ID but I always have fen traps set for mink and they are set so non target species cannot get into them as all traps should be. Like you said, a full moon and good glass, you should be able to see all night.

That's why I mentioned otters as they will remove heads like mink do but they will also eat the easy soft meat as well.

I think we all need to get used to Otters, they are said to be in all counties now. Thing is few know much of them as I think it was the early 70's hunting was suspended before protection was given to the Otter. How many old Otter hunters are their still fit and able to teach us the signs (not that I am saying we should kill otters). I think I have one local myself but as of yet no 100% ID

I know that their is a 3 or maybe 4 genaration family living on ponds an a river not far from me they had 4 young this year as i work nights i got to see them hunting alot on and around the water and hear them calling to each other but never found anything other than fish and ells that they had eatten so can"t comment on how clean they could eat a duck or alike but i have no dought that they can and would if fish stocks are low on there hunting ground

I know that their is a 3 or maybe 4 genaration family living on ponds an a river not far from me they had 4 young this year as i work nights i got to see them hunting alot on and around the water and hear them calling to each other but never found anything other than fish and ells that they had eatten so can"t comment on how clean they could eat a duck or alike but i have no dought that they can and would if fish stocks are low on there hunting ground

I've been seeing otters since the early 90's and have had problems in the past with them taking ducks even on rivers that are full of fish. You can't blame them for going for an easy meal as ducks in big quantities sitting around like 'sitting ducks' are an easy option as opposed to chasing after fish. It is nice to see them coming back strong and I'm afraid if you do get a problem you either put up with them or try your best to stop them getting into your ponds in the first place. In general, if they do take your ducks it isn't usually many whereas the mink do it for the hell of it.

I found a Collard dove that had been nailed by a sparrow hawk on the patio at work on Monday money and it looked the same as the dead duck, head gone and breast eaten.

I have only ever seen the breasts removed like you pic by an avian predator - I was walking round our field and found a woodie - head removed and exactly like your pick.
If it wasnt in the water I would say its a Gos. You may have both a Gos and mink one kills it drops it in or near where it caught it and something drags it into the pond/eats it. Really keen to know whats doing this.
Hope it stops soon.

I am not convinced that the culprit is either mink or otter.

Both would have dragged the carcase away to eat in a safe place and would have eaten all of it or stored it away to return to finish the meal later.

The damage looks avian to me. Do you have Goshawks in the vicinity? It may be one of those or a Sparrow Hawk or a Buzzard.

I am not convinced that the culprit is either mink or otter.

Both would have dragged the carcase away to eat in a safe place and would have eaten all of it or stored it away to return to finish the meal later.

The damage looks avian to me. Do you have Goshawks in the vicinity? It may be one of those or a Sparrow Hawk or a Buzzard.

Can't see a Sparrow Hawk killing a fully grown mallard. I wouldn't rule out a fox as they are inclined to bite the head off prey and it could be possible that it has left it & something else has ate it.