'Honesty and integrity' of police questioned over Plebgate aff

Flashman

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the way "gate" gets added to almost any prominent scandal over the last x-number of years?

The original connection is probably lost on huge numbers of younger people, ie Watergate back in the early 1970's.

<rant mode = off>

Ian was not a newspaper seller, he was a homeless alcoholic who sometimes lived in sheltered accommodation near Smithfield. I know, as I knew him. To waste the day he used to assist Steve and Val who the newspaper sellers who used to give him a couple of quid. Many is the time that I have woken him up with a cup of tea when he had slept in front of the loading bay doors of the City building that I used to manage. Ian had a hatred of the Police, and specifically went up to the Royal Exchange area to give them grieve, despite be advised not to by me, Steve and Val.

I find it funny that the footage of him walking backwards in front of a police van swearing and gesticulating, slowing their progress has only ever been shown once on TV, whilst the footage of the copper striking him has been played over and over,(not that I condone what the officer did).

As for his family, those vultures only appeared when the scent of compensation filled their nostrils, his wife had a injunction out on him and had not seen him for 17 years.

So he wasn't exactly an innocent, although he was decent when sober.

Not all is how it appears in the media spotlight.

It appears to be true that police do lie, and always will, just like everyone else. So, there goes all the expensive training and rigorous selection process. I guess that the first lie they tell is their sworn oath, and they carry on from there.

It seems we all know this, but when a copper lies in court it is the defendant who goes to jail, or the minister of the crown who falls from grace, or London burns in riot, and the alcoholic newspaper seller (deceased) is denied justice...

And yet people recall in horror, as you say.

While it is true that police are only human, and can tell fibs like anyone else, they are in a privileged position of power, and we hold them to a higher standard.

This issue has become much too public for the police to sweep under the carpet and it could undermine confidence in the police in general. Most people in the UK are liable for jury duty - and it would be a sad day if a juror had doubts about the integrity or truthfulness of the testimony of a police officer in court because of a few bad apples.

they aint apples mate they are bananas

KW

Ian was not a newspaper seller, he was a homeless alcoholic who sometimes lived in sheltered accommodation near Smithfield. I know, as I knew him. To waste the day he used to assist Steve and Val who the newspaper sellers who used to give him a couple of quid. Many is the time that I have woken him up with a cup of tea when he had slept in front of the loading bay doors of the City building that I used to manage. Ian had a hatred of the Police, and specifically went up to the Royal Exchange area to give them grieve, despite be advised not to by me, Steve and Val.

I find it funny that the footage of him walking backwards in front of a police van swearing and gesticulating, slowing their progress has only ever been shown once on TV, whilst the footage of the copper striking him has been played over and over,(not that I condone what the officer did).

As for his family, those vultures only appeared when the scent of compensation filled their nostrils, his wife had a injunction out on him and had not seen him for 17 years.

So he wasn't exactly an innocent, although he was decent when sober.

Not all is how it appears in the media spotlight.

Thanks for putting that up.Just shows how easily we are manipulated by spin, when not in possession of all the facts

Thanks for putting that up.Just shows how easily we are manipulated by spin, when not in possession of all the facts

facts? they will be a jury's finding of unlawful killing and the FACT that the force apologised "unreservedly" for the "excessive and unlawful force" used by one of its officers.or are these facts your version of spin?

KW

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the way "gate" gets added to almost any prominent scandal over the last x-number of years?

The original connection is probably lost on huge numbers of younger people, ie Watergate back in the early 1970's.

<rant mode = off>

Sloppy and cheap journalism.

J.

A very good article,and more than a little scary.Disturbing.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of police officers are honest people,but at the same time those who joined with the intention of being 'able to help' are possibly in the minority.Both these groups will no doubt be shaking their heads in disgust with the rest of the right thinking populace,but incidencies such as these only strengthen my own bias of regarding the police with an air of distrust and suspicion,based on my own experiences while growing up.I cannot help but regard all those who actively seek to place themselves in positions of authority over others with suspicion.I should add this also includes politicians.

A very good article,and more than a little scary.Disturbing.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of police officers are honest people,but at the same time those who joined with the intention of being 'able to help' are possibly in the minority.Both these groups will no doubt be shaking their heads in disgust with the rest of the right thinking populace,but incidencies such as these only strengthen my own bias of regarding the police with an air of distrust and suspicion,based on my own experiences while growing up.I cannot help but regard all those who actively seek to place themselves in positions of authority over others with suspicion.I should add this also includes politicians.

There's a Latin quotation which quite evades me at this time of night but translates as, "And who will guard us from the guards themselves?"