Extended chokes

bighit1985

I use a Kicks and even in the Gas op it keeps muzzle rise down via the porting, its quite a bit noisier though. at night you often see fire coming out the ports if your not focused on a bird, beware the noise will do you and any dog more harm (keep the dog back and wear some ear protection). I do find it improves patterning and this is via quite a bit of testing not pure supposition ( I think / assume its not through anything more than a longer choked section of constriction though)

I use a Kicks and even in the Gas op it keeps muzzle rise down via the porting, its quite a bit noisier though. at night you often see fire coming out the ports if your not focused on a bird, beware the noise will do you and any dog more harm (keep the dog back and wear some ear protection). I do find it improves patterning and this is via quite a bit of testing not pure supposition ( I think / assume its not through anything more than a longer choked section of constriction though)

Muttmuffs...http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

got some for my (soon to arrive) ESS :-)

Is the porting only on the upper portion of the choke then?

If the dog runs in after a shot bird, how on earth is it going to hear you when you whistle it?

Depends on what you are doing...obviously if the dog is flushing/retrieving then it dont wear em...and doesnt need to

If its sitting by your side waiting for a retrieve you whip em off before sending, dead quick

better than having a (useless) deaf mutt....I know the purists/fossils wont like it....but hey...I like my dogs...I provide every thing they need...food, vet etc...surely I should protect THEIR hearing as well as my own......

Depends on what you are doing...obviously if the dog is flushing/retrieving then it dont wear em...and doesnt need to

If its sitting by your side waiting for a retrieve you whip em off before sending, dead quick

better than having a (useless) deaf mutt....I know the purists/fossils wont like it....but hey...I like my dogs...I provide every thing they need...food, vet etc...surely I should protect THEIR hearing as well as my own......

I think you have missed my point.

If the dog is waiting for a retrieve, but decides to run in before you send it, it will still be wearing the heaving protection and won't be able to hear the whistle.

I think you have missed my point.

If the dog is waiting for a retrieve, but decides to run in before you send it, it will still be wearing the heaving protection and won't be able to hear the whistle.

yebbut......It shouldnt do that....should it????

I recon you could though get round that...leave the "chin strap" open...clip the top strap to your belt....dog runs...muffs slide off...Hmmmm...will have to try that when Zak arrives.....

yebbut......It shouldnt do that....should it? ???

I recon you could though get round that...leave the "chin strap" open...clip the top strap to your belt....dog runs...muffs slide off...Hmmmm...will have to try that when Zak arrives.....

Even the best dog will run it, it happens.

Personally i can't see that catching on. I'm sure i'm not the only person whos dog hears birds before they do, especially on the foreshore. With ear muffs on the hound wouldnt be able to

Even the best dog will run it, it happens.

Personally i can't see that catching on. I'm sure i'm not the only person whos dog hears birds before they do, especially on the foreshore. With ear muffs on the hound wouldnt be able to

But for how long?...i'd rather miss getting a few than a dog made deaf....after all. what happens then.....it either gets "rehomed" (to god knows where or what) or is "just got rid of"...my working dogs are also my "pets" (read companion animal) and I recon its MY job to look after THEIR health and safety as well as my own...(not to mention the costs involved)

Personally. I recon if folks cant be bothered to/are not skilled enough to/are too "traditionalist" to at least try AND make work new ideas then its a poor world we live in.

Of course...IF you do have a deaf dog AND you are capable /of the right mind to, you could always retrain it to a vibrating collar, Not that that is always a practical solution of course...but you could also fit the vibrator unit into one of those neoprene dog jackets I have heard of...hmmmmmmm...where theres a will theres a way.....(or, if you prefer...where theres a will...theres a relative)

But for how long?...i'd rather miss getting a few than a dog made deaf....after all. what happens then.....it either gets "rehomed" (to god knows where or what) or is "just got rid of"...my working dogs are also my "pets" (read companion animal) and I recon its MY job to look after THEIR health and safety as well as my own...(not to mention the costs involved)

Personally. I recon if folks cant be bothered to/are not skilled enough to/are too "traditionalist" to at least try AND make work new ideas then its a poor world we live in.

Of course...IF you do have a deaf dog AND you are capable /of the right mind to, you could always retrain it to a vibrating collar, Not that that is always a practical solution of course...but you could also fit the vibrator unit into one of those neoprene dog jackets I have heard of...hmmmmmmm...where theres a will theres a way.....(or, if you prefer...where theres a will...theres a relative)

I don't think all working dogs are gotten rid of if they go deaf, quite frankly i think you are on a different planet to the rest of us if you think that.

I'm just saying that i can't see it catching on, if dogs going deaf was a serious problem i suspect someone would have suggested it much earlier.

I don't think all working dogs are gotten rid of if they go deaf, quite frankly i think you are on a different planet to the rest of us if you think that.

I'm just saying that i can't see it catching on, if dogs going deaf was a serious problem i suspect someone would have suggested it much earlier.

read this if you dont think theres a problem......

http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/detail.php?id=1812

The porting on the Kicks High Flyer is to restrict the wad hence the good patterns, like the nubs in the Patternmasters.

The porting does nothing for muzzle flip make more noise give muzzle flash out the sides when fowling in low or dark light and are harder to clean. If you want to reduce muzzle flip get a choke with the top half cut off that protrudes out of top barrel like the tarp shooters use.

I now shoot Muller chokes and love them, very light dont need cleaning other than rub on outside with finger,great patterns and no porting ohh and they look the mutts nuts. If they had the H2o waterfowl choke before I got the Kicks I would be using Muller for fowling aswell.

Figgy

I have a one of them hmm neoprene dog vests for my cocker when fowling in the winter as he goes in hard with no regard for his safety his vest has the chest protector to help stop ice from harming him. It will also stop hypothermia when wet and sitting with me in the snow in a biting nor'easter. As we know cockers don't have a thick coat to keep them dry and warm like labs.

My dog is my little mate I expect him to do his best for me and I do likewise for him, it works for me.

Figgy

Is the porting only on the upper portion of the choke then?

And that's the point that most people seem to miss !

They are ported all round so I agree with you - they are of no benefit - practically.

At least ported shotgun barrels are only ported at the top so should help counteract muzzle rise.

Spend the money on a couple of good lessons instead.

Ever wondered why the best shots you know never change chokes?

Send the money on a couple of good lessons instead.

Ever wondered why the best shots you know never change chokes?

Edited by RichardH