Stumbling across a lifeless sheep - Beating secured!

BRNDL

So,

I was out training to pup today in rivington when I noticed the gates through the track were all open and this area has a shoot of pheasants. Just around the corner I saw the farmer checking his sheep ect and I passed with a nod and a owwdoo.

On the way to the car I noticed a sheep that hadn't moved since I walked past about an hour ago, so I send the dog up and still nothing. We have a blackface lifeless sheep on out hands.

Naturally I awaited the return if the farmer and waved him down to break the bad news, helped him load the sheep up and we got talking. He complimented my dog and said to me " fancy some beating"! Music to my ears!

It all starts with a single step. We exchanged numbers and the shoot is a week Saturday 5 minutes up the road from my home. A thank you and a hand shake, not before I gave him my emergency " permission" letter with all my details on....

Things are looking up for BRNDL

Edited by BRNDL

I don't actually have any permissions of my own, but I beat on a few small shoots. I find that I get enough invites through beating to keep me satisfied on the shooting front. So as scully says beating is a great door opener, and to those who have no shooting, instead of asking all the time to be given days out, try looking for a bit beating it may just pay off.

Edited by toontastic

Having moved to this area about five years ago, I quickly managed to gain a couple of small, limited permissions. Through word of mouth I got asked to go beating for a local syndicate. I'm now part-time, unpaid, gamekeeper for the shoot with things being changed to make it possible to pay me later this season, which is my dream job.

I now have all the vermin control I can handle plus the odd walked up day and beaters day.

Hope you enjoy and, as others have said, it is the best door-opener. :good:

Following on,

The evening before the shoot the farmer rang me to confirm details and ensure I was still attending, which I confirmed. He also asked if I could bring a +1 at short notice as he had been let down elsewhere. I obliged and invited my brother along who was happy to come for the day and help out.

We rolled up at 08.30 on the dot as requested, parked up and greeted others who had gathered up in the barn. The kettle was already boiling and bacon butties were on route! What a great start! I took my dog and showed her around the other working dogs to ensure the formality of introductions were firmly embedded...this is your colleague for the day, not playmate!

The last of the guns rolled up and a briefing was had. I was appointed jeep driver which was absolutely superb! The first drive was a short walk. The drives are through pine plantations so it was tough going at times, there was a reasonably thick canopy. I worked the first drive with my dog on the lead whilst beating along thought the wood lifting a few birds toward the line of guns..."bird bird" I shouted, which echoed around the pine wood like yodelling through a valley! I watched the bird rise through the trees and towards the guns. This was shortly followed by a volley of shots which signalled the beginning of the shoot, the birds were lifting and the guns were banging. This was a quick drive and didn't produce that many birds, possibly 8.

Back to the barn where the kettle was on again and the bacon butties were in all their glory just waiting to be lavished in HP sauce!

The next drive was a short cross country drive, so we loaded the jeep full of beaters with the dogs in the back...you could sense the excitement in both beaters and dogs, today was going to be a great day.

We set off in tandem following the other 4x4s. Now, this land we are driving across is very significant and in some ways special to me. I have walked my dog up here for many years as the surroundings are truly epic and really hit home the words country side and agriculture. Both of which I appreciate endlessly. I have yearned to shoot here and drive across the land in a 4x4 with the low gear engaged, window down and dogs in the back for many years...today this came true for me.

Moving on, the second shoot was really productive and we pushed some great birds for the guns. I decided to unleash my pup to work the cover and she did just that and performed very very well. I remember watching 3 birds she flushed (separate occasions) to the guns. Flush, sat, watched waited and listened, bang bang and down they went. One bird landed behind us at around 30 yards. I sent the dog out to retrieve as the cover is very thick and we had been losing birds. She went out on command and direction, picked her first ever pheasant and brought it back to hand...to say I was proud is an understatement.

We did 4 drives in total and a walked up back to the farm. The day produced 43 brace.

We received a little payment for he day and also 2 brace to take home. I returned home with a smile as long as the m1 motorway, 4 pheasants, a seriously tired pup and some cash. Oh, and an invitation to continue beating throughout the season.

Things could not of turned out any better.

Sorry for rambling, all the best

BRNDL

Edited by BRNDL

Following on,

The evening before the shoot the farmer rang me to confirm details and ensure I was still attending, which I confirmed. He also asked if I could bring a +1 at short notice as he had been let down elsewhere. I obliged and invited my brother along who was happy to come for the day and help out.

We rolled up at 08.30 on the dot as requested, parked up and greeted others who had gathered up in the barn. The kettle was already boiling and bacon butties were on route! What a great start! I took my dog and showed her around the other working dogs to ensure the formality of introductions were firmly embedded...this is your colleague for the day, not playmate!

The last of the guns rolled up and a briefing was had. I was appointed jeep driver which was absolutely superb! The first drive was a short walk. The drives are through pine plantations so it was tough going at times, there was a reasonably thick canopy. I worked the first drive with my dog on the lead whilst beating along thought the wood lifting a few birds toward the line of guns..."bird bird" I shouted, which echoed around the pine wood like yodelling through a valley! I watched the bird rise through the trees and towards the guns. This was shortly followed by a volley of shots which signalled the beginning of the shoot, the birds were lifting and the guns were banging. This was a quick drive and didn't produce that many birds, possibly 8.

Back to the barn where the kettle was on again and the bacon butties were in all their glory just waiting to be lavished in HP sauce!

The next drive was a short cross country drive, so we loaded the jeep full of beaters with the dogs in the back...you could sense the excitement in both beaters and dogs, today was going to be a great day.

We set off in tandem following the other 4x4s. Now, this land we are driving across is very significant and in some ways special to me. I have walked my dog up here for many years as the surroundings are truly epic and really hit home the words country side and agriculture. Both of which I appreciate endlessly. I have yearned to shoot here and drive across the land in a 4x4 with the low gear engaged, window down and dogs in the back for many years...today this came true for me.

Moving on, the second shoot was really productive and we pushed some great birds for the guns. I decided to unleash my pup to work the cover and she did just that and performed very very well. I remember watching 3 birds she flushed (separate occasions) to the guns. Flush, sat, watched waited and listened, bang bang and down they went. One bird landed behind us at around 30 yards. I sent the dog out to retrieve as the cover is very thick and we had been losing birds. She went out on command and direction, picked her first ever pheasant and brought it back to hand...to say I was proud is an understatement.

We did 4 drives in total and a walked up back to the farm. The day produced 43 brace.

We received a little payment for he day and also 2 brace to take home. I returned home with a smile as long as the m1 motorway, 4 pheasants, a seriously tired pup and some cash. Oh, and an invitation to continue beating throughout the season.

BRNDL

Following on,

BRNDL

Excellent write up,I felt as I was reading it,as if I was in the jeep driving, and pushing birds to the guns. Well done.