Side by Side for clays anymore?

junctiontwo

I have both and I use both but I tend to shoot better with the O/U anyway. The O/U is much much heavier and I can put loads of cartridges through it with much less recoil. The SBS gets hotter much quicker and kicks a bit more. Regardless of the configuration it just makes more sense to use the heavier gun which in many cases is the O/U.

I've got one! I have a Baikal 43EM and I bought it for clays. I am very proud that it is made of Russian tank parts and railway sleepers. I was going to have a go at the SxS championships at AGL this year, but got talked out of it. Wish I hadn't, I would have been top lady gun :-) Quite a few gels I know have SxSs. Most of us have O/Us, but not all.

We took my SxS out at Park Farm and we all broke clays with it. England team member came to have a go and broke more than most of us, and then his old dad came along and broke EVERYTHING!

I've sent my SxS to live with someone else for the winter whilst I concentrate on learning to shoot sporting with my O/U on my coach's advice. If it was one or t'other I'd got with the O/U, but I hadn't had the SxS fitted to me.

ETA The SxS is kickier and gets really hot. Don't want to shoot a flush with it!

Edited by ehb102

I've a couple of SxS and I love shooting them. I do take them out on the clays occasionally, but only if I know I'm going to be shooting a few dozen and not a ton in a brisk session. Also high driven clays really do take their toll on the collar bone!

As said, the O/U and semi-auto tend to soak up the recoil far better, but a SxS I find is more of a challenge and a pleasure to shoot.

just the one for me,,Eibar sxs , I use it all the time be it clays,rough shooting, the lot,, cant be bothered with these girlie guns o/u,s that all you sissy,s use cos ya don't like the recoil

why don't you all change to 410,s ya bunch of wimps,

now where have I put my painkillers for my shoulder :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

atb Evo

Black powder is what you want. A freind of mine loaded some and we fired them at Worsely we giggled like kids for ages. You get a fantastic flame that fires out the end of the barrel and loads of smoke :D

Obviously I wasn't going to put them through my gun...we used his lol

I made the change from OU about three years ago and only shoot SxS nowadays.

I shoot simulated days once a month during the closed season and hit the local clay grounds maybe twice a month. I use 21gm Hull Comp X for my clay shooting and can quite happily batter through 250 cartridges in a morning with no major ill effects, although I won't argue that it is somewhat more painfull than using an OU as the day wears on!

If I am being absolutely honest I probably shot slightly better with an OU but I am not a competition shooter (nor have any desire to be) and the Tolley is just so damn beautiful...

:good:

just the one for me,,Eibar sxs , I use it all the time be it clays,rough shooting, the lot,, cant be bothered with these girlie guns o/u,s that all you sissy,s use cos ya don't like the recoil

why don't you all change to 410,s ya bunch of wimps,

now where have I put my painkillers for my shoulder :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

atb Evo

I also have one of these in my collection.

It used to be my cousin's till his SGC lapsed, now it's mine. He only gave £80 for it, and I do ok with it