What rifle would be 'best'?

foxbuster

Stuff the R10, buy a Super 10, take it to John Bowkett and get it made FAC and blueprint tuned, cost about £150 + carriage.

The Super 10 is the gun the R10 should have been and is not!

A Super 10 can be found from around £300, blueprint tune £150, I would not use a courier, I would take it myself, because I had my gun tuned by him!

That gun will beat the behind off any R10, trust me, you want a Super 10!

Edited by secretagentmole

Find a decent second hand Daystate mate, you won't go wrong by a long shot. Should find a very good example for your budget range with out doubt. Just going through another variation for FAC AIR and will be going down the Daystate range yet again as I've already got a Huntsman Regal sub 12ft lb .177 and it's one very very accurate, quality built rifles iv owned.

My vote is with an honest used rapid, you can get a very good lightly used one for half that amount if you shop about as there are far more for sale than those who have a slot. They might be a bit more agricultural than some but that's good coz they are easy to fix and hard to break. Mine shot extremely well at that level 750fps with Bis mags. Spend the rest on a good scope

I agree the s10 is brill I had it in FAC and it was very accurate groping a 5mm group at 40mtrs.The only down side and the main reason I sold it was it was very heavy and bulky but dont let that put you off.There is a very limited market for FAC air so try and buy the best fore the least money poss, I know this sounds daft but this will become apparent when you come to sell.

Daystates seem great bits of kit but £180 quid for a service. Eye watering.

Karpman

I agree, I've just had a look on Gunstar and found an AA S410 Extra FAC running at 32-38ft lbs for £345. Cheaper than 2 Daystate services!

They may not be everyones favourite but you get a lot of gun for your money and they're no less accurate than the posh stuff.

null_zps60850f80.jpg

Quite keen on mine 30ftlbs 30 odd shots a bit of a fettle and I could probably squeeze a few more. Service kit is a tenner and a doddle to work on.

Takes quarry as well as anything else I have used, not to mention she is dressed is some really nice walnut.

Rws excalibre

Karpman

A Super 10 in FAC trim running at 28ft lb will give you at least 60 shots per fill.

I know, I owned one accidentally, hellishly accurate. Could not figure out why there was no trajectory curve, then I got a Combro, then I got my behind to an RFD. He checked it and found some muppet had swapped the reg, he checked the FAC list and it was not on it, he then offered me £100 more than we paid for it as he always wanted an FAC Super 10, it was put on ticket!

Edited by secretagentmole

DAYSTATE is a great gun, so is the R10 but if you fancy a springer and do away with air bottles and the like then the HW97 is not a bad choice. 19ft/lb is the max you could go for but it is an amazing gun at that power and deadly accurate as is any gun in the right hands. With a Springer you have as many shots as you need without filling up and they are easy to service. Yes they are noisier but you only need one shot :-)

If it is to be PCP then I would have a selection of three Daystate, HW100 and the Theoben Rapid. Nothing wrong with the other just my personal choice.

huntsman classic for me,,running at 30ftlb excellent piece of kit and light to carry around all day

regarding a £180 service on my airwolf I,m more than happy paying that because lets be honest it only equates to just over a pound a week to keep my rifle in tip top shape

with my huntsman when I bought it new it was running low power and was taken back to daystate and re tuned to 11.6ftlb, didn,t cost me a penny, also I have found daystate always willing

to go out of their way to answer any questions I have and also help if I ever have a problem with any of my other Daystate rifles which I havn,t , that is customer service and to the highest quality,

something that other companies have let themselves down with, Daystate are fast becoming world known as top quality air rifles , well built, engineering at its best and beautiful to hold and shoot,

£180 for a service every three to five years in my eyes is worth every penny to keep a machine well oiled and working to its best

atb Evo,

huntsman classic for me,,running at 30ftlb excellent piece of kit and light to carry around all day

regarding a £180 service on my airwolf I,m more than happy paying that because lets be honest it only equates to just over a pound a week to keep my rifle in tip top shape

with my huntsman when I bought it new it was running low power and was taken back to daystate and re tuned to 11.6ftlb, didn,t cost me a penny, also I have found daystate always willing

to go out of their way to answer any questions I have and also help if I ever have a problem with any of my other Daystate rifles which I havn,t , that is customer service and to the highest quality,

something that other companies have let themselves down with, Daystate are fast becoming world known as top quality air rifles , well built, engineering at its best and beautiful to hold and shoot,

£180 for a service every three to five years in my eyes is worth every penny to keep a machine well oiled and working to its best

atb Evo,

Yes heard a lot of good things about daystates customer service, second two none so I hear which can't be a bad thing. When my gun had a problem I had to resort to fixing it my self lol.

It does seem though after a bit of research that daystates are prone to the odd problem or three and isn't there a problem with the airwolf that practically writes it off.

That aside with a bit of research there is some bargains to be had out there. My RWS was the first pcp to do sub inch groups at 100m it's reviews on review centre are 4. 9 out of 5. It looks like a proper gun and shoots and cycles like a dream. It is far more accurate than I will ever be.

As a hunting rifle it's a true classic and highly recommended, yeah it only do'es 30 shots at 30fps but that's a week at least before it needs a top up lol.

Oh and it was £250 and I'm a very proud owner lol.

Karpman

Pm maxtich, he has a 17 month old daystate ranger, 40ftlbs, which I should think will be around 37ft lbs with bis mags, for sale. Terry "eccles" will tell you how many shots you get for a fill, but I'll bet its 50+ :yes: THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN11

Its a funny thing the servicing argument. Everyone who doesn't own a Daystate, whinges about the cost of servicing. Those that do own one think its perfectly acceptable. :hmm: How many people who own any pcp get it officially serviced by the manufacturer? I guess, only a few, when it goes wrong, and they don't have the skills to fix it. So the difference would be?

I'm with Evo on this one, worth a quid a week for a machine that is quite simply, the best you can get. Or service it yourself, its a rifle not the flight deck of concorde :yes:

Kent

quote "Why would you spend such a vast sum on such a thing as an FAC airgun then £180 a pop on services? Its for killing vermin at the end of the day, if you want something more capable buy a .22 lr it will be a lot less hassle, the FAC airgun is a small niche need"

I really don't understand why you jump on every thread about fac air, with the same repetitive, negative drivel. We have all explained the reasons why fac air has its place, and why some of us enjoy spending our pennies on high quality equipment, but its not getting through :hmm:

Best bag I've had with my FAC Daystate and a 22lr wouldn't have been safe to use on any of these shots, and they would have been un reachable with a shotgun.

DSCF1143_zps27301727.jpg

Edited by turbo33

I was under the impression Daystates had reliability issues thus is why there owners seem to know so much about there customer service department lol.

An air rifle is and the selection of buying one is very much down to budget and personal choice i suppose. Any well made built pcp will far more accurate than the human pointing it.

Karpman

Oh and that's a cracking bag mate

Edited by karpman

Kent, there are many ways to justifie any expenditure on anything weather it be a tool or a hobby/toy.

I have a Daysate MK 4 its 5 years old never missed a beat and you could say if it aint broke dont fix it....So then there would still be no service cost !

But £180 over 5 yars £36 a year or if done every 3 years £60 a year.

So how do you cover that cost if you want to justifie it ? Well.... find a way to sell bunnys (£1 a peice is average) and the first 60 bunnys you shoot each year is the claw back of the annual contribution to the service cost minus the £1.60 in pellets it will of cost you to shoot them. Really there`s many ways to justifie that cost or not, its a hobby and an interest. But say starting from scratch for the up keep of your Daysyate service costs and air cyclinder maintanance, Say it comes to the value of £100 a year, its not really a bank breaker is it. What other hobbys cost you less than £100 a year to maintain? Not many I bet.

Myself I have a FAC Daystate Huntsman and I love it, It did me very nicely 2 months ago with a bag of 62 bunnys on land that simply wouldnt be safe to use any rimfire on and shotgun wouldnt have the range aswell as the noise wouldnt be tollerated and a sub 12ftlb air rifle wouldnt of had the legs for on some of the shots.

I am a Daystate convert and through choice wouldnt have any other brand. So I would recomend any FAC Daystate, I also feel 30ftlb .22 is sufficent if you want more shots and dont want to go to 40ftlb.

Sure Rapids are out there..... messed with by every other wanna be rifle tuner or home maintainer, but just look how offen they are appart for tweeking and fettling ("Self servicing") etc. Myself I want a good well built rifle I can go to and shoot reliably, so I go for Daystate. I had a Rapid once for 2 months and that cost me just over £100 when I sold it on and good ridence to it and rapid wont be finding its way back into my cabinet anytime soon.

Also with the places you can shoot up hill with a FAC Air you simply couldnt with a .22lr, this will help you take a lager variity of quarry and hopefully in turn makes your land owner happier. Out with the .22lr you have to stick to ground shots, But how much more could you bag with squirrels, pigeons and corvids up in trees when out walking around. And please dont say .22lr with CB`s or Shorts, they are rubish in most rifles and thats why you never really hear of them being used, there a non starter really.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/258323-daystate-huntman-factory-repair/

Seems to be a fair few people having problems with Daystaes straight off the shelf. Which given the price tag seems a touch wrong.

Oh before anyone says it. Yes I have handled a shot a few Daystates and yes they are very nice. But the best money can buy. Not totally convinced yet.

Karpman

ime going off my experience here,ive been shooting air rifles for 30 plus years and i have shot almost every gun around in that time,also i do a lot of vermin control so i need a top gun thats acccurate, good shots per fill etc etc,i got a mark1 rapid when they came out and still have it now in fac,if i could get a more accurate gun trust me i would get one tomorrow as i have no time for rubbish as i use them a lot,ive two friends who both have the daystate grey shadows,2 grands worth off air rifle,i was close to buying one as i need that sort of gun,they have both been sent back about 3 times each for new barrels,bolts etc and not one can put pellet in pellet like that old relic i use,the truth so as yet i will keep the rapid,may be soon some one mite match it but in my eyes they havn't in the years they have been out,slightly harsh comment this but the truth,atb simon

I have a 2004 rws 500 (early air ranger) in. 22 spitting bis mags out at 918fps.

I also have a 2006 air ranger in, 22 spitting accupels out at 11.4lb.

I have never had no issues with either gun.

As for service cost, when you consider I am paying over £600 for a season ticket to watch Brighton play football, think I know which one is a waste of money.