I Am Missing Pigeons

stevethevanman

Hi guys I am pretty good on clays but when it comes to pigeons I miss them by a mile.

I was wondering were you have to aim in order to achieve a clean kill.

The cartridge I am using is Hull Imperial Game 28g 6's

These birds are no more than 30 yds away, shurely I should be hitting them, but I have no idea were to aim. :lol:

By the way I am using half choke

Steve, see what the others say, but IMHO it is impossible to say where you are missing without seeing you shoot (and even then it may not be that easy) the only thing to remember is that game doesn't slow down like clays do, in fact the ******* normally do just the opposite :lol:

Maybe get along for a lesson at a decent school and have then set up some 'pigeon like' clays?

p.s. How do you know you miss by a mile?

What stuartp may mean is that you are probably not missing by much.

Most clay shooters tend to miss pigeons behind, by not giving them enough lead, but as has been said, its almost impossible to know what you are doing wrong, without watching you shoot.

However, not many birds are missed by giving them too much lead.

Your choice of choke and shot load/size IMO is fine for pigeons at 30 yards.

Some of my clay shooting friends have trouble with live bird shooting and they believe its because they don't have the chance to "warm up" first.

Also, if they miss the first clay, they know the second one will be travelling in almost the same trajectory and can adjust for where they think they went wrong the first time.

Live birds don't behave like that.

I would suggest you relax, accept its not a matter of life, or death and enjoy the day.

If you are an average clay shooter, you will eventually get onto woodies and it may not take as long as you think.

he also said that it is almost impossible to miss if you are giving it plenty of lead

Is this true :lol:

This cant be true otherwise there wouldnt be a thing called over estimating the lead and shooting infront

you need to get used to the lead that it needs at different heights, speeds etc

Somebody told me that the shot collum coming out of your barrel is at least thre feet long, he also said that it is almost impossible to miss if you are giving it plenty of lead

:o :o

So I take he shoots 100% at everything he does then?

I think we all know how much air there is to be hit arround things that are flying :/

Somebody told me that the shot collum coming out of your barrel is at least thre feet long, he also said that it is almost impossible to miss if you are giving it plenty of lead

Is this true :/

If you look back, this is a quote from my first post on this thread.

"However, not many birds are missed by giving them too much lead."

Shooting wood pigeons over decoys is simple, but don't AIM!! It comes with practise and, contrary to what Cranfield said, it is a matter of life and death, at least for the pigeon. Clays are easy, compared to pigeons and pigeons are easy, compared to clays. I stick with live pigeons and refuse to get involved in artificial games, with little discs.

From my limited knowlage , i'd say your far too used to the clays . I.E. You can almost predict a clays speed and flight path once you spot it , live game is a totaly different thing .

Do you shoot clays and pigeons with the same cart :o The reason why i ask is . I once turned up at a clay shoot without bringing my carts , so i had to buy some from the ground , after shooting like a blind man on a bad day with these carts . i found a few of my usual (clear pigeon) in my gun slips pocket . There were 7 in there an the next 8 clays i shot 6 out of 8 . Went back onto the carts from the clay ground , shot like CARP !

Relax watch em coming in , an take more snap shots .

all the best yis yp :/

One thing I found with pigeons is let them spot you before you fire. A clay doesn't change direction when it sees you. Usually when a pigeon spots you it will change direction. If you are just going for the shot when it does you will still be following its original path when you fire, and it will fly away laughing at you :/

Shooting wood pigeons over decoys is simple, but don't AIM!! It comes with practise and, contrary to what Cranfield said, it is a matter of life and death, at least for the pigeon. Clays are easy, compared to pigeons and pigeons are easy, compared to clays. I stick with live pigeons and refuse to get involved in artificial games, with little discs.

If you are going to quote me, then in fairness quote the whole sentence.

Which was, " I would suggest you relax, accept its not a matter of life, or death and enjoy the day."

In that sentence I was suggesting that a shooter who was not relaxed , would not shoot well, much as others have suggested.

There was no intended reference to the life, or death of the pigeon.

There is alot of sense in the all of the recent posts. We all have a demon in this game.My miss count was down to one major issue in years past- which was varying to many times of cartridge and swopping about shot sizes. All shell manufacturers loads have different characteristics as we all know -some fast -some slower but with harder kinetic energy in the shot pattern.

This all has a bearing on the outcome.

I have dropped pigeons (As we all have) with a 36g No5 shot load at 40 yards and killed outright with only signs of one or two pellet strikes in vital areas, proving I was way off

Dusted at 30 Yards with a 30g No6 achieving multiple strikes but not a clean kill achieved.

I have ended up sticking to one particular load, you get a fell feel for the characteristic of its performance and soon find out its stronger and weaker points and work to counteract them.

See now you made me go and do it this is someone who is **** at clays :/

Look at Anthony Poolman he wins the Mitsubishi world series at the Midland Game Fair and has shot over 5000 Pigeons in 2006

Now he is quite good at both :o

Cheers Sean

As has already been said, I find that if I don't think about it and go for snap shots, I get them every time. As soon as I start thinking about lead and things, I miss :good:

I also don't think it matters what type of cartridge you're using, most of the problem is in your head :blink:

P.

ha.......ha.....................ha :lol:

RE MISSING PIGEONS a lot of people shoot with a gun that doesnt fit them.its like a suit.i shoot over 5 thousand a year with 3o yr old berretta and nothing heavier than 25 gram loads due to totally ******** ears.stare at the bird and the gun will follow it if it fits right.

ps im sure my ears are duff due to baikal cartridges! remember them?

ha.......ha.....................ha :good:

RE MISSING PIGEONS a lot of people shoot with a gun that doesnt fit them.its like a suit.i shoot over 5 thousand a year with 3o yr old berretta and nothing heavier than 25 gram loads due to totally ******** ears.stare at the bird and the gun will follow it if it fits right.

ps im sure my ears are duff due to baikal cartridges! remember them?

B) Black devils

LG